Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    linlin
    Cost of oil central heating
    • 6th Mar 06, 3:31 PM
    Cost of oil central heating 6th Mar 06 at 3:31 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

If you've arrived from Google, our fully researched Cheap Heating Oil guide may be helpful.

Back to the original post...

A property I may be interested in has oil fired central heating. I asked the estate agent some questions and was told the boiler is 7 to 8 yrs old, is a Camroy 2 and the current owners have had two oil deliveries in the past year costing approx £160 each. The EA forgot to ask about quantities, but I guess this has to be 2 x 500 litre deliveries

I estimate the house is approx. 1400 sq ft on one floor.

£320 pa for heating seems very low and I'm wondering if I've been told the truth or not.
    Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 18-02-2014 at 6:08 PM.
Page 4
  • SammyFace
    I can measure my consumption in litres, convert a litre to a useable amount of heat ( 1 litre = 10.4 KW) take away the heat my boiler wastes (90% efficient) and I know I get 9kw of useable heat from each litre. Call it 60p a litre on average and I know each KW costs me around 6.5p.
    Originally posted by owned by 2 Siamese
    We've recently moved into our self build and went OTT with the insulation whilst we had the chance. We installed a Grant Vortex 26/36 Kw Outdoor Oil Boiler which runs our heating and hot water. Our electricity appears to have dropped approx £50 per month and our oil approx £50 per month less than running a multifuel stove driven central heating at our last house - which was a smaller 200 year old listed property.

owned by 2 Siamese - how do I work out the cost per kw to run my boiler which I believe runs at approx 94% efficiency?

• Cardew
    • By Cardew 23rd Feb 11, 10:11 PM
    • 27,114 Posts
    • 13,227 Thanks
    Cardew
    how do I work out the cost per kw to run my boiler which I believe runs at approx 94% efficiency?
    Originally posted by SammyFace
    A litre of oil contains approx 10kWh(10.2 is the normally quoted figure)

So if you pay 55p a litre the cost is approx 5.5p/kWh. At 94% that would work out to 5.85p/kWh

Condensing boiler efficiency figures are much like 'showroom' MPG figures on cars - rarely achievable.

However the only time you would need to work out the cost per kWh, taking into account boiler efficiency, is if you wanted to compare what you pay for heating/hot water against what it would cost if you used electricity - which is 100% efficient.
  • SammyFace
    Thanks so much Cardew.

• owned by 2 Siamese
    To owned by 2 siamese.

A couple of questions:
    Why is ASHP and GSHP not mature enough. It has been going for many years and is known more in Scandinavian countries than in the UK, where temperatures get far lower.
    What was your oil consumption over 2 years, + your £300 for additional heat from the fire, plus your electricity bill, as they probably included everything?
    Size of your house and temperature settings (18C you say) against theirs.
    So many variables that are not defined, so unable to compare.
    Originally posted by Geotherm
    Hi Geotherm -
    I think thats my point its impossible to compare!
    In terms of ASHP and GSHP a neighbour has exactly the same house and works full time - as I mentioned their electric bill for one quarter was almost two years of my oil usage ( I know bad example - too many variables) some of the comments on the forum indicate that this technology may not be as 'sorted' as we would all like to believe. On top of that most of us have radiator based systems - not underfloor heating which lends itself much better to the lower temp continuous run systems - so I guess in my opinion its not yet a viable alternative for many of us.

Also scandinavia has considerable hydroelectric power - the unit cost is much lower - making it more viable!

Last two years oil consumption (march 2009 - Feb 2011) is 3200 litres - this years is higher due to sustained lower temp. The £300 coal/wood was this year - last year £172 (just shows how much coal went up!)
    House has 5 double beds, 3 baths, three large receptions, combined kitchen/garden room (42 feet wide!) one wall 1.5 storeys high glass in this room (k glass triple glazed) valuted 1.5 story ceilings (put like this I guess it is big!)

Electric we pay £45 a month which just about covers (100% cfl/LED lighting, all kitchen apps A or A+)

;-)
    • lovesgshp
    • By lovesgshp 24th Feb 11, 6:48 PM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 709 Thanks
    lovesgshp
    Thanks for that info. I will try to compare it to a house here of 350 sq mtrs, only double glazed, with no insulation in the roof, stone built solid walls, again with no insulation running on radiators. Previously on LPG, but now with 2x11Kw GSHP heat pumps since Nov 2010.
    If I take your oil bill @ say 50p ltr, then £1600 pounds for 3 months is your neighbours bill. Obviously I do not know their heating settings/temp settings/ pump running times etc, or their other usage rates.
    The comments are from an email received this month, after asking how a system was performing. Our electricity costs here in Italy are higher than the UK, so please take that into account and the figures are in Euros.

" Everything seems to be working a treat, we are delighted with it all. We got our first bill today for a month, considering we had to put it on pretty high at the beginning and assuming the cost will be much less in the summer months at euro 311 I think not bad. We should achieve about a 50% saving compared to the gas. It is also working well with the timer so we have it working as much as possible in the night and that seems to have helped since the cost is split in the three phases of the day. We really like the way it heats and maintains the warmth at a lower temperature than with the gas."
  • bernithebiker
    Not sure where you're getting oil (it's actually a kerosene blend) at 0.55p a litre from. Here in France it's now 0.85 Euro a litre, (70p) and that's before crude broke through $110. Can't imagine it's loads cheaper in the UK is it?!
    • lovesgshp
    • By lovesgshp 24th Feb 11, 8:52 PM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 709 Thanks
    lovesgshp
    Not sure where you're getting oil (it's actually a kerosene blend) at 0.55p a litre from. Here in France it's now 0.85 Euro a litre, (70p) and that's before crude broke through $110. Can't imagine it's loads cheaper in the UK is it?!
    Originally posted by bernithebiker
    Not me, I just put in a estimate cost as a comparison. Everything here in Italy is expensive as well.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 25th Feb 11, 10:01 AM
    • 10,113 Posts
    • 24,944 Thanks
    suki1964
    Here in NI oil is averaging 55ppl ATM

Diesel is 134ppl
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it

still singing, loud and clear
  • rslgb
    I have a multistove burning coal, that heats my 2 bedroom house and all the hot water i need, on average it cost's £450 pa. we are thinking of changing to oil but it seems it might cost as much as £1200 pa and the C.H would be on a timer and trying to spare hot water. we live in cold scotland, the stove burns 24/7 for 6 mounths of the year. am i missing something or has oil become a non starter. my coal cost's £12.50 for a 50kg bag of smokeless and oil seems to be around 60p per ltr, coal is hard work but at these prices coal wins easy?
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 4th Mar 11, 10:38 PM
    • 10,113 Posts
    • 24,944 Thanks
    suki1964
    I have a multistove burning coal, that heats my 2 bedroom house and all the hot water i need, on average it cost's £450 pa. we are thinking of changing to oil but it seems it might cost as much as £1200 pa and the C.H would be on a timer and trying to spare hot water. we live in cold scotland, the stove burns 24/7 for 6 mounths of the year. am i missing something or has oil become a non starter. my coal cost's £12.50 for a 50kg bag of smokeless and oil seems to be around 60p per ltr, coal is hard work but at these prices coal wins easy?
    Originally posted by rslgb

I dont think you are missing anything

Reading through the threads and you will see many of us on oil use the coal to boost the heating and eek out the oil

Hard work - not really - 10 mins a day for a toasty house. And if you are getting rads and water on top then its a winner

Oil is never going to be "cheap" again
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it

still singing, loud and clear
  • rslgb
    thanks for the reply,over the last 2 or 3 weeks i have been shocked at what oil might cost and thought i might be getting my figures wrong but even here it seems i would be making a big mistake putting oil in, we have had our stove for 25years and just wanted something easyer? think i will replace the stove with a new stove and just carry on with coal.
    • smallblueplanet
    • By smallblueplanet 6th Mar 11, 10:12 AM
    • 906 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    smallblueplanet
    ...my coal cost's £12.50 for a 50kg bag of smokeless and oil seems to be around 60p per ltr, coal is hard work but at these prices coal wins easy?
    Originally posted by rslgb
    Blimey, that's a good price for a bag of smokeless. We now pay £19 for a bag of New Flame for the open fire. Is the stuff for a stove very different then?
    • w50nky
    • By w50nky 7th Mar 11, 5:43 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 234 Thanks
    w50nky
    Blimey, that's a good price for a bag of smokeless. We now pay £19 for a bag of New Flame for the open fire. Is the stuff for a stove very different then?
    Originally posted by smallblueplanet
    That does seem a good price for smokeless, I pay £15 @ "winter" prices for 50kg of Supertherm. Always try to buy your fuel when the weather is fine & dry to prevent paying for wet fuel which means you are paying for water.
    Some of the fuels can be burnt on open fires or stoves. A list is available on Hetas website and solid fuel website too I believe.
    • butlinsbabekatie
    • By butlinsbabekatie 18th May 11, 9:09 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    butlinsbabekatie
    can anyone tell me the whats the lowest amount you can purchase in one go? do you have to fill the tank or can you get so many litres?

Also say if the cost was £1000 for the year to heat the water and CH, how much less would it be just for the water and the then using electric oil heaters instead?
    Last edited by butlinsbabekatie; 18-05-2011 at 9:20 PM. Reason: addition
    • G_M
    • By G_M 18th May 11, 10:57 PM
    • 42,346 Posts
    • 49,196 Thanks
    G_M
    can anyone tell me the whats the lowest amount you can purchase in one go? do you have to fill the tank or can you get so many litres?

Also say if the cost was £1000 for the year to heat the water and CH, how much less would it be just for the water and the then using electric oil heaters instead?
    Originally posted by butlinsbabekatie
    Most oil companies have a minimum 500 litres delivery. You can either order a specific amount, or most companies will let you estimate and then 'fill up' the tank.

Remember though that the per litre price depends on quantity supplied, so if you order 2000 litres but the tank only takes 1100 they'll probobly increase the per litre charge.

As for using electric, very hard to say. I tend to use the emmersion heater for hot water in the summer rather than fire up the boiler, but I've no scientific/economic evidence.....
  • fancyabrew
    Most oil companies have a minimum 500 litres delivery. You can either order a specific amount, or most companies will let you estimate and then 'fill up' the tank.

Remember though that the per litre price depends on quantity supplied, so if you order 2000 litres but the tank only takes 1100 they'll probobly increase the per litre charge.

As for using electric, very hard to say. I tend to use the emmersion heater for hot water in the summer rather than fire up the boiler, but I've no scientific/economic evidence.....
    Originally posted by G_M
    Funny enough I'm toying with the idea of putting in an immersion coil in our thermal store for heating HW during the summer months, but I don't know it its worth it.

We have a Grant eco 25kwh boiler which is 91% efficient and a 10kwh wood burner which is 82% efficient both going in to a 700l JASPI thermal store, this then gives us HW and CH to 9 rads upstairs and UFH to the downstairs which is 31ft * 13ft open plan. We have a 1200l tank which I filled in April and we've just used the first measure of oil so thatís going to be around 120l in two months just running the HW, the HW comes on for an hour a day, but the boiler isn't running for all of that hour. Consumption wise the wife and I have a shower each everyday and usually a bath at weekends. Doing some quick maths thatís around 2l of oil used per day so £1.20 worth of oil at today's prices. So is it worth putting in an immersion coil? My plumber thinks it'll be a round £300 to install the coil in the thermal store, and it'll also mean getting an economy7 meter installed. I might have a play with the HW timer and reduce the amount of time its on for per day, currently the thermal store gets heated to 60 degrees at the top and around 40 degrees in the rest of the tank, so if I reduce the time the boiler fires for I could get the temperature down a little as 60 degrees is hot!
  • paceinternet
    fancyabrew, something to think about would be that the 2 litres of oil a day is worth about 20.8 kw. which at 90% efficiency would mean the tank is getting around 18.7 kw put into it.
    Maybe you are loosing too much of it through pipework and tank insulation?
    So how much would those losses change if the electrical immersion was directly in the tank?
    • TheSaint
    • By TheSaint 16th Jun 11, 7:55 PM
    • 929 Posts
    • 972 Thanks
    TheSaint
    My parents 5 bed house , 2 bathroom, 2 reception, 2 kitchen (yeh i know..!) which is now very well insulated aside from rubbish windows costs £2000 per year in LPG !! (It was £1000 the year before).

So I would avoid like the plague
  • Pudster
    Advice required!

Reading all these posts, heating systems are no clearer than mud :-(

I am looking at purchasing a village hall for conversion to residential. It curently has electric wall heaters only. I've been looking into having oil fired central heating installed as there's no gas nearby. Then I read up on GSHP and ASHPs but am none the wiser - so much choice and plenty of advertising speil.

Any advice/suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks
  • scotsmart
    All I can add is that irrespective of running costs oil wins hands down for us in NW Scotland with NO gas supply it supplies an even heat indoors of 20 all over the house and piping hot water 24/7 which against my £1500 electric bill for our previous 1/2 size cottage on storage with NO control and precious little heat it wins hands down so far consumption v price it's working out about 1/5 cheaper all round but when disabled ambient heat is vital and thus priceless suits us to pay up front one less bill to worry over our electric bills are now about £10 a week against £45 ish making up the difference love it would rather have gas but until we can this system will suffice ( a six yr old Grant outside boiler and 1100 ltr tank) just wish I could get a supply of cheaper oil ;(
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

583Posts Today

4,164Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Do you always use soap (if available) while washing your hands after going to the loo in a public toilet?

• RT @mark76stewart: Sledging!? I?ll say! That?s worse sledging than the Aussies @MartinSLewis !! £6.99 each or 2 for £20 @WHSmith ?? https:?

• RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• Follow Martin