Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mountainofdebt
    • By mountainofdebt 8th Apr 09, 10:08 PM
    • 7,426Posts
    • 10,792Thanks
    mountainofdebt
    Travel to Interview Scheme
    • 8th Apr 09, 10:08 PM
    Travel to Interview Scheme 8th Apr 09 at 10:08 PM
    Can anyone tell me why I need an appointment to get a blank claim form for this scheme from the Jobcentre?

I appreciate that they can't pay any claim until I have actually been to the interview but why can't they just give the form when I ask for one ????

Can anyone also tell me how far the interview has to be to qualify?
Page 1
  • Snakeeyes21
    • 8th Apr 09, 11:23 PM
    • 8th Apr 09, 11:23 PM
    as far as im aware you recieve the money after your appointment, after they have phoned whoever your interview is to confirm it.
    • ukdickie31
    • By ukdickie31 8th Apr 09, 11:30 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    ukdickie31
    • 8th Apr 09, 11:30 PM
    • 8th Apr 09, 11:30 PM
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Jobseekers/programmesandservices/DG_173631

Try this link
  • cfnc
    • 9th Apr 09, 8:32 AM
    • 9th Apr 09, 8:32 AM
    The first 5 is not included in the travel to interview scheme, and it is either by public transport or your own car, not both. i.e you can not drive to a train station and then take a train and claim for the whole journey, it will either be the car journey or the train.

My husband only has to have an appointment to pick up a claim form if he has two claims or more.

Hope this helps,

Kirsty
    • mountainofdebt
    • By mountainofdebt 9th Apr 09, 10:15 AM
    • 7,426 Posts
    • 10,792 Thanks
    mountainofdebt
    • 9th Apr 09, 10:15 AM
    • 9th Apr 09, 10:15 AM
    as far as im aware you recieve the money after your appointment, after they have phoned whoever your interview is to confirm it.
    Originally posted by Snakeeyes21
    Now I was told that you only got reimbursed after you had attended the interview.

Have no problem with that at all - but no-one has yet explained why I need an appointment to only pick up a blank form - they even wanted me to make an appointment to literally hand it in.
    • koolcat
    • By koolcat 9th Apr 09, 12:11 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    koolcat
    • 9th Apr 09, 12:11 PM
    • 9th Apr 09, 12:11 PM
    You need the appointment which is called a AJAX (or AJAC'S) and at the appointment you produce the proof of the interview, and the receipt or quote on how much it will cost (chepest) to get to the interview. At my JobCentre you have to fill in forms on where, who, etc about the interview. They then confirm it and maybe a few weeks later you get a cheque in the post for the cost.
  • s1h
    • 9th Apr 09, 5:50 PM
    • 9th Apr 09, 5:50 PM
    It sounds like a joke this to me, they messed up paying my benefits and i said what am i supposed to do if i get a phone call to go to an interview but havent got the money for petrol to get there.

I was told if I bring them in confirmation of the interview in writing they may be able to help. If im able to get 10 miles to the job centre then I would be able to get to the interview.

The clerk in the jobcentre had the cheek to say to me, well what do you want? Me to give you 20 out of my own pocket?

Roll on getting a job, paid my taxes and NI and worked for years, yet now I need help im treated like scum and get the !!!! taken out of me.
    • Sprintblue
    • By Sprintblue 9th Apr 09, 5:57 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Sprintblue
    • 9th Apr 09, 5:57 PM
    • 9th Apr 09, 5:57 PM
    S1h,

TIS, as it is called is NOT for local job interviews .. must be out of area.

Best way to sort is to have the TIS interview after your job interview.
  • s1h
    • 9th Apr 09, 6:02 PM
    • 9th Apr 09, 6:02 PM
    sorry didn't realise that I just find the whole thing an absolute shambles and was disgusted at the way I was spoken to by a member of staff in the job centre.

I would complain If I thought It would get me anywhere.
    • ukdickie31
    • By ukdickie31 10th Apr 09, 4:52 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    ukdickie31
    The first 5 is not included in the travel to interview scheme, and it is either by public transport or your own car, not both. i.e you can not drive to a train station and then take a train and claim for the whole journey, it will either be the car journey or the train.
    Originally posted by cfnc

This isn't in the TIS guidance.

Where did you hear this ??
  • cfnc
    It was what my husband was told at the job centre, he has had various interviews in London.

We have also had to wait 4 weeks or more for his travel expenses to be paid.

Kirsty
  • money3169
    Travel to Interview (TIS)
    The travel to interview scheme only applies to jobs interviews outside a "normal" 90 minute commute to a job interview. How time and distance are related I do not know. I have had mixed responce from job centers regarding the scheme. Luton were very helpfull for instance but Aberdeen were a nighmare to deal with. You would think the staff were paying the travel expences out of their won pocket!!
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 12th Nov 09, 10:24 PM
    • 3,919 Posts
    • 4,255 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    They won't give out a blank form because you have to claim in advance, its true that its only for out of the area claims and it is incorrect that you have to pay the first 5 of any claim.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
    • Queen.For.A.Day
    • By Queen.For.A.Day 25th May 11, 12:45 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Queen.For.A.Day
    According to this page
    /en/Employment/Jobseekers/programmesandservices/DG_173631
    on the direct.gov.uk site,

"Important update: Travel to Interview scheme is now closed
    The Travel to Interview scheme is now closed. Please speak to your Jobcentre Plus adviser for more information."

That's all she wrote.

I'll ask tomorrow when I sign on, but if anyone has any info now...
    Wow, lots of space here!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

347Posts Today

1,939Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Warning: From tomorrow (thur) if you watch BBC iplayer, even if only catch up, you need a TV licence. Full info.. https://t.co/OT9XiQvKGQ RT

• M'weekly email: free £25M&S, iPlayer warning, free seeds & KFC, overpay mortgage, Sky codes, 26 motoring tips, Apple https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Do you support renationalisation of rail, water, energy, etc. Pls VOTE which services you'd renationalise... https://t.co/aJrVNR5Bxa

• Follow Martin