Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    never-in-doubt
    BEEN DECLINED - Appeal Letter Template
    • 8th Apr 09, 4:00 AM
    BEEN DECLINED - Appeal Letter Template 8th Apr 09 at 4:00 AM
    This thread has been created to offer a standard template, used to appeal a negative decision by a lender; for example a credit card decline letter.

It doesn't matter if you have a default or several searches, for the sake of a little 'tweaking' and cut/paste you could be pleasently surprised when the lender actually considers your appeal in a favourable manner.

The different sections need to be added together to get the finished letter, as shown in post #2.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by never-in-doubt; 08-04-2009 at 4:56 AM.
Page 9
    • FeistyFidget
    • By FeistyFidget 27th Sep 13, 4:26 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 18,200 Thanks
    FeistyFidget
    Well I applied for a virgin credit card last Saturday online and was outrightly refused

Slightly above average salary for my age - Experian and Credit expert ratings are excellent with no flags - home owner (mortgaged) with no late payments etc. Very, very miffed as no reason was given accept hinting that they checked my credit (which obviously doesn't add up).

So have fired off the email in the hope that my rejection is over-turned
    Officially Debt Free (Besides Mortgage) - Since 14/09/2014

2015 Challenges
    Stop making life harder for myself. Stop aiming for perfection, it doesn't exist. Enjoy the little things
  • adunnia
    Well I applied for a virgin credit card last Saturday online and was outrightly refused

Slightly above average salary for my age - Experian and Credit expert ratings are excellent with no flags - home owner (mortgaged) with no late payments etc. Very, very miffed as no reason was given accept hinting that they checked my credit (which obviously doesn't add up).

So have fired off the email in the hope that my rejection is over-turned
    Originally posted by FeistyFidget
    Tried the appeal letter, having been turned down by Virgin Money for a credit card (I have a similar credit standing). They have since come back and maintained their refusal. Any ideas of how to appeal any further? Do I complain or continue to try to appeal? I have checked my credit report and there are no obvious indicators which would justify the refusal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    • aleph_0
    • By aleph_0 30th Nov 13, 11:17 AM
    • 515 Posts
    • 339 Thanks
    aleph_0
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Originally posted by adunnia
    Move on. The card company has no obligation to offer you a card. You should see your appeal letter as more of a chance for provide the card company with more information about you which might help them in being able to make the decision you want.

They've considered this information, and decided that they still don't want you as a customer.
  • adunnia
    Move on. The card company has no obligation to offer you a card. You should see your appeal letter as more of a chance for provide the card company with more information about you which might help them in being able to make the decision you want.

They've considered this information, and decided that they still don't want you as a customer.
    Originally posted by aleph_0
    Thanks for that but I am more concerned with how this will affect my chances elsewhere. If they have no valid reason to decline my credit application then they have blighted my record for no good reason.
    September 2007 (penny drop date) 35,458
    December 2013 3,307.14

DFD September 2014
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 831
    Proud to be dealing with my debt
    • bengal-stripe
    • By bengal-stripe 30th Nov 13, 3:29 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 2,057 Thanks
    bengal-stripe
    ......If they have no valid reason to decline my credit application.......
    You might find the reason for the decline in your signature:

The decline will not affect other applications (apart from the very minor 'credit search'). The state of your indebtedness, certainly will!
    • SuperAllyB
    • By SuperAllyB 30th Nov 13, 3:29 PM
    • 581 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    SuperAllyB
    They obvious felt that they had a valid reason, regardless of whether or not you agree.

I believe that your credit reports will only show a search, and not whether or not it was successful - hardly a massive blight.
  • adunnia
    You might find the reason for the decline in your signature:

The decline will not affect other applications (apart from the very minor 'credit search'). The state of your indebtedness, certainly will!
    Originally posted by bengal-stripe
    Thanks for that. Useful note on the effect of the decline. I am struggling to change the signature (I think that's what you referring to when you say 'The state of my indebtedness'). Thankfully I have left all of that far behind me!
    December 2013 3,307.14

DFD September 2014
    • bengal-stripe
    • By bengal-stripe 30th Nov 13, 3:40 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 2,057 Thanks
    bengal-stripe
    Thankfully I have left all of that far behind me!
    Good for you!
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 30th Nov 13, 4:00 PM
    • 24,431 Posts
    • 11,718 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Thanks for that but I am more concerned with how this will affect my chances elsewhere. If they have no valid reason to decline my credit application then they have blighted my record for no good reason.
    Did you approach them or did you apply to them?
    Did you read their terms and conditions before pressing the submit button?

They have not blighted your record - you are being silyl here.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
  • adunnia

They have not blighted your record - you are being silyl here.
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever
    Thanks very much for your comment. I asked because I needed information. I don't think that's being silly...
    December 2013 3,307.14

DFD September 2014
    • andypandylin
    • By andypandylin 24th Feb 15, 4:40 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    andypandylin
    Great post! Too bad I came across this only after I've sent off my own appeal email..
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 24th Feb 15, 6:37 PM
    • 24,431 Posts
    • 11,718 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Great post! Too bad I came across this only after I've sent off my own appeal email..
    Originally posted by andypandylin
    Who's post - this thread is from 2013!
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • darkidoe
    • By darkidoe 8th Sep 15, 10:11 PM
    • 922 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    darkidoe
    I'm gonna try appealing for the Halifax Clarity Credit Card. Anyone has much success with appeals with Halifax recently??
    • andyfromotley
    • By andyfromotley 9th Sep 15, 10:16 AM
    • 2,014 Posts
    • 2,964 Thanks
    andyfromotley
    Yes, we have seen posts from a few people who have successfully appealed Haifax decisions. They seem to sometimes to be very tight on approving Clarity Cards in particular and people have had this reconsidered on appeal.
    1000 Emergency fund No90 1000/1000
    LBM 28/1/15 total debt - 23,410 24/3/16 total debt - 7,298
    !
    • darkidoe
    • By darkidoe 23rd Sep 15, 9:15 PM
    • 922 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    darkidoe
    Provisional offered a Halifax Card. Just need to phone in now. This appeals thing seems to be working!
    • sophiabrown657
    • By sophiabrown657 23rd Feb 17, 11:23 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    sophiabrown657
    Appeal Letter Writing: Do Second Chances Really Work?
    appeal letter is a formal letter so it will demand you to keep certain standards and use formal language as well.

The first paragraph line. In the first opening paragraph establish your purpose. Its not the place for the long and mundane stories. Cut out all the details that seem important to you but which the opening paragraph still able to exist without.

The second paragraph. Finally, this where you write the story. State the subject matter in chronological order, focus on the facts and arguments, involve the new facts that might have changed the outcomes if they were taken into account.

The third paragraph. This part should deliver the reason why your letter should be taken into consideration. Explain why the reasons appear as unfair and why you should get the second chance for the improvement. Dont afraid to quote and reference here.

The final paragraph. Summarize all the mentioned facts and make your final statement. Write the outcome that you wait for and reconsideration result that you wait to get. Dont forget to thank for the attention and Include your contact information.
    • pepper33
    • By pepper33 14th Feb 18, 2:37 PM
    • 484 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    pepper33
    Credit Union appeal
    I have just been refused a loan of 10,000 from our local CU.
    I have never missed a payment for a loan I had of over 10,000 and finished it and kept saving. They have given me smaller loans to pay upfront for car insurance, holidays, and to get my car through MOT.
    I provided my credit report, which has a CCJ on it from 2015, which I am paying off.
    I had two burglaries in 2010, and had to foot the bill for two cars, within 6 months. I took really ill in 2012 with PTSD, and fell behind a bit with my mortgage, paid half the amount. I complained to FOS about the fact that Santander not letting me arrange a payment holiday, and the harrasment I got every day. I got back to work, but unfortunately the Nationwide CC took out a CCJ without my knowledge.
    I do not have any credit cards since 2015 and have been allowed a cheaper mortgage rate, which helps a lot, and Santander have allowed me to apply for this, as I paid my arrears and the FOS did come down on my side, and fined them.
    However the CC in which I have been saving 150 a month, and can afford to pay more, only to be declined.
    I requested a loan to replace my car which is over 12 years old, and it is costing me more to keep her on the road
    I also was going to do some home improvements. My credit score could not be given as apparently I have no credit cards.
    Also the CC have sent me notice that I am only allowed to save 100 a month, because people are not borrowing!!! Its no wonder no-one is borrowing if they turn down people who are saving with them and have plans to pay it back quicker than 5 years
    I am housebound at the moment, as I had an operation, so therefore I cannot visit them. would it be worth appealing or just withdraw my savings, as 1200 a year is not a lot to save,and therefore disabling me from borrowing large amounts.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 14th Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    • 1,002 Posts
    • 1,974 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    I have just been refused a loan of 10,000 from our local CU.
    I have never missed a payment for a loan I had of over 10,000 and finished it and kept saving. They have given me smaller loans to pay upfront for car insurance, holidays, and to get my car through MOT.
    I provided my credit report, which has a CCJ on it from 2015, which I am paying off.
    I had two burglaries in 2010, and had to foot the bill for two cars, within 6 months. I took really ill in 2012 with PTSD, and fell behind a bit with my mortgage, paid half the amount. I complained to FOS about the fact that Santander not letting me arrange a payment holiday, and the harrasment I got every day. I got back to work, but unfortunately the Nationwide CC took out a CCJ without my knowledge.
    I do not have any credit cards since 2015 and have been allowed a cheaper mortgage rate, which helps a lot, and Santander have allowed me to apply for this, as I paid my arrears and the FOS did come down on my side, and fined them.
    However the CC in which I have been saving 150 a month, and can afford to pay more, only to be declined.
    I requested a loan to replace my car which is over 12 years old, and it is costing me more to keep her on the road
    I also was going to do some home improvements. My credit score could not be given as apparently I have no credit cards.
    Also the CC have sent me notice that I am only allowed to save 100 a month, because people are not borrowing!!! Its no wonder no-one is borrowing if they turn down people who are saving with them and have plans to pay it back quicker than 5 years
    I am housebound at the moment, as I had an operation, so therefore I cannot visit them. would it be worth appealing or just withdraw my savings, as 1200 a year is not a lot to save,and therefore disabling me from borrowing large amounts.
    Originally posted by pepper33
    What income do you have?

You can get a reliable cost for far less than 10K.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th Feb 18, 2:41 PM
    • 15,475 Posts
    • 16,395 Thanks
    zx81
    Use your savings.

Credit Unions, like anyone else, are under no obligation to lend, especially to people with poor credit histories.
    • pepper33
    • By pepper33 14th Feb 18, 2:48 PM
    • 484 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    pepper33
    What income do you have?

You can get a reliable cost for far less than 10K.
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    23,163 a year, I work full time
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,966Posts Today

9,234Users online

Martin's Twitter