Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > can you get dla for depression and ocd? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
can you get dla for depression and ocd?
Closed Thread
Views: 47,033
# 1
bigbrummygirl
Old 04-03-2006, 6:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbrummygirl
Default can you get dla for depression and ocd?

because i live on such a small amount of money a week. 26 income support which includes a disability premium for depression and ocd i have been advised to put in a claim for dla. i just wondered if anyone knows if it would be worth my while doing this?
any advice would be gratefully recieved thanks

beverley
# 2
lecko
Old 04-03-2006, 7:00 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile

Hi brummygirl,

You should put your claim in for DLA, I have severe depression and have suffered for 6 years, I am also diagnosed with another mental health issue and have been awarded DLA. So please put your claim in.

Goodluck

Bettyboo
The Following User Says Thank You to lecko For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Lady Inversneckie
Old 04-03-2006, 7:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi,

Have a look at the DWP website, it might help you decide;

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/bene..._allowance.asp
# 4
gemnco
Old 04-03-2006, 7:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi beverley, I receive DLA and incapacity benefit for severe depression and anxiety, I've been getting them for the last 3 years. Its definately worth enquiring about getting DLA, the form is quite personal and complicated, so it might be worth getting help filling it out. The citizens advice bureau helped me alot. Good luck with everything and best wishes,

gemnco
# 5
beanielou
Old 04-03-2006, 7:54 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Yes, you should put in a claim
Get help from Citizens Advice/Welfare Rights as there is a lot of info needed on forms and it helps if presented in a certain way.
It might help you to keep a wee diary for a wee while
Good luck
Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 3 stone 3 lbs**

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
# 6
zincoxide
Old 04-03-2006, 7:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Let's see, I've been diagnosed as having depression and anxiety for the last 3 years although I've maintained a full time job - I'm on medication and it looks like this should continue for a long time. Do you think I would be eligible?
Treat others as you would like to be treated
# 7
beanielou
Old 05-03-2006, 5:12 PM

It is how the condition affects you & not what the condition that you have.
People with depression and anxiety can claim.
Have a word with your CPN to see what they think
Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 3 stone 3 lbs**

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
# 8
Penny-Pincher!!
Old 05-03-2006, 5:34 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Can I ask how you get the disability premium on Income Support if you dont receive DLA?

DLA is given not because of an illness or disabilty, but how this effects your every day life.

PP
xx
To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
requires brains!
# 9
mrsh
Old 06-03-2006, 12:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Disability premium is also paid if you have claimed incapacity benefit for over 1year.
# 10
hunnybugs1
Old 06-03-2006, 12:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have just been told I have Fibromyalgia and have suffered from depression on and off for years. I do not qualify for Incapacity Benefit as I stopped work 2 years ago to have my baby and havent paid any tax since then. would I qualify for DLA do you think and is it worth all the hassle? I mean, do you get paid much?
# 11
upferret
Old 07-03-2006, 6:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My boyfriend has quite bad OCD, been on medication for 2 and a half years, also been on a psychologist waiting list for cognitive behaviour therapy for the same amount of time, seeing a psychiatrist and he has applied twice for DLA and refused both times even though he cant do most household tasks, or even make his own food! He has been off work for nearly a year now because it has got worse.
# 12
judexx
Old 10-03-2006, 11:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrummygirl
because i live on such a small amount of money a week. 26 income support which includes a disability premium for depression and ocd i have been advised to put in a claim for dla. i just wondered if anyone knows if it would be worth my while doing this?
any advice would be gratefully recieved thanks

beverley
Have a look at the MIND guide to DLA http://www.benefitsinmind.org.uk/dla..._allowance.htm that should give you some idea.
# 13
Dora the Explorer
Old 11-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by upferret
My boyfriend has quite bad OCD, been on medication for 2 and a half years, also been on a psychologist waiting list for cognitive behaviour therapy for the same amount of time, seeing a psychiatrist and he has applied twice for DLA and refused both times even though he cant do most household tasks, or even make his own food! He has been off work for nearly a year now because it has got worse.
Sorry your boyfriend is not faring too well just now. You might find this link
http://www.livinglifetothefull.com/e...tpage&Itemid=1
helpful. It's for an online DIY cognitive behaviour therapy programme, supported by the nhs.
Best wishes
The Following User Says Thank You to Dora the Explorer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Precious Thing
Old 11-03-2006, 10:55 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Fibromyalgia, Depression and DLA

Hi,

I have had DLA for years for depression, eating problems and other things. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last year and applied for more DLA because my situation is now worse. I was turned down but am appealing.

I would encourage you to apply. All you have to lose is the time taken to fill in the forms (but this is usually a lot of time). However, you really should get someone who is experienced in doing this to help. It's very much about how you say what you say, and especially, how you meet their criteria. It is also common to get turned down the first time and to win on appeal. It can go on for many months and there are no guarentees. But if you do win, the money will be backdated to when you first applied.

Their is a website called Benefits and Work benefitsandwork.co.uk
which is really helpful, and will help you to fill in the forms step by step. It's a one off payment of 15 to join. But really, get help with the forms if you can from CAB or Welfare Rights, if there's one in your area.

It can add a fair bit to your income if you're willing to go through the hassle of applying.

Hope that helps,

Precious Thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Precious Thing For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
mallard
Old 11-03-2006, 3:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi

As with other posters DLA is based on how something affects your everyday living and the criteria (which if you are really bored one day can be accessed via DWP literature in libraries etc). Many people do get turned down or are given the lowest rates.

Getting help to fill in (by someone who has done DLA forms before and has been successful) is good. Don't assume though that CPNs etc are any good at it - some are and some aren't. The main thing is to stick absolutely everything that effects your everyday life on the forms and emphasise strongly where others help you and what happens when that help is not available. Go for the worst scenario that you experience on a reasonably regular basis. I know a lot of people think something small needn't be included but write absolutely everything down. Equally write it down if you don't think it affects your life but never state that it doesn't. The more information the better. Also make it very personal - for example 'I feel low, have no energy, despondent, and can't do meals' and so on.

Try to make sure you get someone who really knows you well to write the last sections and again (if you know them well enough) to write things in synch with what you have written.

Hope that helps and good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to mallard For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
LaidlawUk
Old 10-06-2007, 2:41 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Send a message via MSN to LaidlawUk

I got turned down for DLA I have Arthritis of the Spine and Depression, I have a appeal coming up, the forms were hard to fill in as I have dyslexia, I have no life I dont go out, I'm in so much pain when I move but I can not see me getting it.
# 17
Gemmzie
Old 10-06-2007, 7:22 PM

LaidlawUk - please contact the CAB and get them to help you fill out the form. It can make a lot of difference how it is filled in
No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
# 18
LaidlawUk
Old 10-06-2007, 8:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Send a message via MSN to LaidlawUk

My appeal is on the 18th of this month, how many times can you appeal ? My doctors report wasn't good but it seemed my doctors couldn't be bothered, I had to keep on about my back and then they didn't tell me what was wrong with it, I had a breakdown in Oct and was in bed for 5 weeks after I found out my daughter was raped by her step father do I tell them at the appeal ?

Last edited by LaidlawUk; 11-06-2007 at 12:25 AM.
# 19
upferret
Old 11-06-2007, 2:07 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My boyfriend has just appealled and got low rate care DLA for his OCD after ebing refused 3 times.
November 10 a day challenge. Im starting early- 66p so far!
# 20
Morglin
Old 11-06-2007, 5:46 AM

This site explains decision making and classifications for mental health disabilities:

http://www.benefitsnow.co.uk/default.asp

Lin
You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset.
Closed Thread