Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > Disability Living Allowance and Jobseekers' Allow... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Disability Living Allowance and Jobseekers' Allowance (Income Based
Closed Thread
Views: 4,510
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
seven-day-weekend
Old 06-04-2009, 1:56 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: HOME! West Midlands, England
Posts: 22,494
Default Disability Living Allowance and Jobseekers' Allowance (Income Based

My son's girlfriend has applied for DLA.

If she gets it, will it affect her Jobseekers' Allowance?
I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
I am a Floating Voter - every party wants to be my friend

Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 06-04-2009 at 8:32 PM.
seven-day-weekend is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to seven-day-weekend For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
di3004
Old 06-04-2009, 2:12 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South Wales (Gwent)
Posts: 42,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven-day-weekend View Post
My son's girlfriend has applied for DLA.

If she gets it, will it affect her Jobseekers' Allowance?
No, also DLA is not means tested.
Good luck.
The one and only "Dizzy Di"
di3004 is offline
Report Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to di3004 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Dray
Old 06-04-2009, 3:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven-day-weekend View Post
My son's girlfriend has applied for DLA.

If she gets it, will it affect her Jobseekers' Allowance?
Like wot above said


You don't say what level she hopes to get it, or whether you/they share a home. As you've heard, it isn't means tested. So yup, you can claim Jobseekers and be available for work. And work and get Disability Living Allowance.

But there's a little catch. DLA comes in a number of flavours (non of them chocky chip ice cream flavour). Mobility. It's designed to help people get more mobile or get help with mobility. Two levels there, lower rate, and higher rate. Higher rate mobility may entitle her to amongst other things, free public transport. And she keeps the money. Lower rate isn't much - not much more than 15 quid a week, but it'll do no more than pay for a few bus fares to work per week.

Then there's motobility on Higher Rate - paying for a limited lease and/or blue badge and car. Well over my head. I'm on lower rate However dig around the forums and you'll find a fuller explanation.

Care component comes in three flavours. Lower, Middle and Higher. If you share a home, and she gets middle or higher, you may be entitled to claim carers allowance, but how much you would get depends on whether you claim income support together.

That's what if. What's a definite 'if' is I really hope she had an advice center help her. Everyone I know online who didn't, failed.

Last edited by Dray; 06-04-2009 at 4:07 PM.
Dray is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dray For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
seven-day-weekend
Old 06-04-2009, 7:03 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: HOME! West Midlands, England
Posts: 22,494
Default

Hi thanks for your replies.

I didn't think it would affect her JSA. I don't think she will get more than the lower rate in both (she is diagnosed with Aspergers' Syndrome), but every little helps.

She and my son do not live together (she lives with her mum) and she has no children.

She was advised to apply for it by a Disability Advisor; however she left it too late to get professional help before the date on the form , so between us (her, our son, and my husband and myself) have done the best we can.

We have said how her condition affects her everyday life, neither minimising nor maximising her condition, and answered all the questions.

She also has sent in a report on her condition done by an Ed Psych; we have referred to this when filling in the form.

If she is unsuccessful we will advise her to appeal and this time get professional help!

Thanks once again.
I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
I am a Floating Voter - every party wants to be my friend
seven-day-weekend is offline
Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to seven-day-weekend For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
cifpower
Old 06-04-2009, 8:40 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,035
Default

Would you not get a disability premium top-up to the JSA award?


cifpower is offline
Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cifpower For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
seven-day-weekend
Old 06-04-2009, 8:58 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: HOME! West Midlands, England
Posts: 22,494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifpower View Post
Would you not get a disability premium top-up to the JSA award?
It's not me applying, it's my son's girlfriend.

I don't know. Would she get a disability premium top-up? Is that as well as or instead of DLA?
I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
I am a Floating Voter - every party wants to be my friend
seven-day-weekend is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to seven-day-weekend For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
di3004
Old 06-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South Wales (Gwent)
Posts: 42,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven-day-weekend View Post
Hi thanks for your replies.

I didn't think it would affect her JSA. I don't think she will get more than the lower rate in both (she is diagnosed with Aspergers' Syndrome), but every little helps.

She and my son do not live together (she lives with her mum) and she has no children.

She was advised to apply for it by a Disability Advisor; however she left it too late to get professional help before the date on the form , so between us (her, our son, and my husband and myself) have done the best we can.

We have said how her condition affects her everyday life, neither minimising nor maximising her condition, and answered all the questions.

She also has sent in a report on her condition done by an Ed Psych; we have referred to this when filling in the form.

If she is unsuccessful we will advise her to appeal and this time get professional help!

Thanks once again.

Hi there

And good luck with this.

My son age 14 has Aspergers syndrome, also has anxiety disorders, where he has DLA due to his needs, help, personal care etc etc.

I know every person who has this varies from one to another, but we were turned down for DLA for him at first, and went to tribunal, where then it was awarded for him, it seems to be common at first with being turned down, but if this is the case, keep it going.

Good luck, I see the other posters have given useful and helpful advice, fingers crossed.
The one and only "Dizzy Di"
di3004 is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to di3004 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
healy
Old 06-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven-day-weekend View Post
It's not me applying, it's my son's girlfriend.

I don't know. Would she get a disability premium top-up? Is that as well as or instead of DLA?
If she gets any rate of DLA she will get the disability premium with her JSA. This is in addition to the DLA. I know the disability premium has gone as far as ESA is concerned but I think it is still payable with JSA.
healy is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to healy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
seven-day-weekend
Old 07-04-2009, 1:02 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: HOME! West Midlands, England
Posts: 22,494
Default

Thanks all for your help.

I know my son told me she would be happy with even the lowest ( one component at 18), so an extra bit on her JSA will be even better.

We will persevere as I think she should get something for mobility at least as she has trouble finding her way round, whilst an element of dyspraxia and also an inner ear problem, cause her balance problems and she falls over sometimes.

She also needs certain help and support in her everyday life which other young women do not need and therefore I think she should get the care component too.

Thanks once again.
I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
I am a Floating Voter - every party wants to be my friend
seven-day-weekend is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to seven-day-weekend For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
seven-day-weekend
Old 07-04-2009, 1:04 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: HOME! West Midlands, England
Posts: 22,494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by di3004 View Post
Hi there

And good luck with this.

My son age 14 has Aspergers syndrome, also has anxiety disorders, where he has DLA due to his needs, help, personal care etc etc.

I know every person who has this varies from one to another, but we were turned down for DLA for him at first, and went to tribunal, where then it was awarded for him, it seems to be common at first with being turned down, but if this is the case, keep it going.

Good luck, I see the other posters have given useful and helpful advice, fingers crossed.
So does my son who is aged 29, but he is not as bad as his girlfriend and as he has got older has acquired various coping stategies.
I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
I am a Floating Voter - every party wants to be my friend
seven-day-weekend is offline
Report Post
# 11
Clair1977
Old 29-04-2009, 8:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Default

hi there,

I'm currently claiming DLA higher rate, but have recently had by renewal claim cancelled, even though I can hardly walk. My condition hasn't changed at all, and if anything it has gone worse. Can I appeal and what would I have to do? Any advice would be grateful please
Clair1977 is offline
Report Post
# 12
richard9991
Old 29-04-2009, 9:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: skelmersdale
Posts: 1,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clair1977 View Post
hi there,

I'm currently claiming DLA higher rate, but have recently had by renewal claim cancelled, even though I can hardly walk. My condition hasn't changed at all, and if anything it has gone worse. Can I appeal and what would I have to do? Any advice would be grateful please
you should start your own thread on this as you will get more answers that way
richard9991 is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to richard9991 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
healy
Old 29-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clair1977 View Post
hi there,

I'm currently claiming DLA higher rate, but have recently had by renewal claim cancelled, even though I can hardly walk. My condition hasn't changed at all, and if anything it has gone worse. Can I appeal and what would I have to do? Any advice would be grateful please
Yes you can appeal, you need to do this on form GL24. It would be best to get help from a welfare rights officer with the appeal, these can be found at the CAB, local Council or disability organisations such as DIAL. You have one month to appeal from the date of the decision.

The following is a link about the GL24:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_4017514
healy is offline
Report Post
# 14
NASA
Old 29-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,356
Send a message via MSN to NASA
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by healy View Post
If she gets any rate of DLA she will get the disability premium with her JSA. This is in addition to the DLA. I know the disability premium has gone as far as ESA is concerned but I think it is still payable with JSA.
It is still payable on JSA.
NASA is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NASA For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
seven-day-weekend
Old 01-05-2009, 2:08 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: HOME! West Midlands, England
Posts: 22,494
Default

UPDATE:

My son's girlfriend heard today she will be getting DLA!!


She does not know what rate yet, they rang her because they could not read her bank details on the form and rang her up to clarify them. She was told that she would be getting DLA and would get a letter in two weeks.
She was too flustered to ask them what rate.

Result!!

I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
I am a Floating Voter - every party wants to be my friend
seven-day-weekend is offline
Report Post
# 16
cifpower
Old 01-05-2009, 2:50 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,035
Default

Well done!


cifpower is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to cifpower For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
seven-day-weekend
Old 05-05-2009, 8:29 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: HOME! West Midlands, England
Posts: 22,494
Default

She has heard today -she has been awarded Lower Rate Mobility and Lower Rate Care backdated to February 14th!

Can anyone confirm how much the disability premium on the Jobseekers' Allowance will be? I've googled it and it says 27.50 a week but that seems too good to be true.......
I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
I am a Floating Voter - every party wants to be my friend
seven-day-weekend is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to seven-day-weekend For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
cifpower
Old 05-05-2009, 8:37 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,035
Default

27.50 is the right amount for a disability premium


cifpower is offline
Report Post
# 19
seven-day-weekend
Old 05-05-2009, 8:51 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: HOME! West Midlands, England
Posts: 22,494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifpower View Post
27.50 is the right amount for a disability premium
Oh wow...so with the two components of DLA she'll be getting an extra 62 a week??

This will REALLY help her.

Think I need a

Thanks SO much for your help.
I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
I am a Floating Voter - every party wants to be my friend
seven-day-weekend is offline
Report Post
# 20
cifpower
Old 05-05-2009, 8:53 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,035
Default

No, she just gets the one premium of 27.50

edit - sorry, miscalculated from your post. My bad.


cifpower is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:38 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 17 September 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • THE SCRIPTNO SOUND WITHOUT SILENCE
  • BARBRA STREISANDPARTNERS (DELUXE VERSION)
  • SAM SMITHIN THE LONELY HOUR (DELUXE EDITION)

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.