Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mikeassured
    • By mikeassured 2nd Mar 06, 1:57 PM
    • 301Posts
    • 57Thanks
    mikeassured
    Getting Mould Off Net Curtains?
    • 2nd Mar 06, 1:57 PM
    Getting Mould Off Net Curtains? 2nd Mar 06 at 1:57 PM
    Hi

Can anyone give me any tips on how to get black mould off my nets? I have tried the products in supermarkets like the net whitener, but it doesnt do a great job.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Sue
Page 1
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 2nd Mar 06, 2:17 PM
    • 23,798 Posts
    • 3,164,925 Thanks
    comping cat
    • 2nd Mar 06, 2:17 PM
    • 2nd Mar 06, 2:17 PM
    If the curtains are a natural fabric, you can try bleach or hydrogen peroxide, if nylon you cant. You could also try rubbing with wet soap and leave it in the sun (normal stuff you wash your hands with, and if you can find some sun!!!), then washing off.
  • Zziggi
    • 2nd Mar 06, 3:07 PM
    • 2nd Mar 06, 3:07 PM
    Not very Old style...

I bought some dettol mould and mildew remover. It a spray container and it is green - in most supermarkets.

http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/index.php?id=239&pid=3313&sid=1

I then put the net in the sink and sprayed on the mildew remover only on the areas that had mould on. Left it over night (doesn't need overnight but just bunged it in the sink overnight). Then just removed it from the sink and put it in the machine with some whitener in the morning.

Has sorted the problem out on many occasions.
  • lushkat
    • 2nd Mar 06, 3:12 PM
    • 2nd Mar 06, 3:12 PM
    If you wash them in the machine but add washing soda to the washing powder and vinegar instead of fabric conditioner and you will find that it will disappear like magic.
    • mikeassured
    • By mikeassured 2nd Mar 06, 3:27 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    mikeassured
    • 2nd Mar 06, 3:27 PM
    • 2nd Mar 06, 3:27 PM
    Thanks for all those tips, they look very useful.

Sue
    • peter999
    • By peter999 3rd Mar 08, 10:45 PM
    • 6,944 Posts
    • 2,926 Thanks
    peter999
    • 3rd Mar 08, 10:45 PM
    • 3rd Mar 08, 10:45 PM
    If you wash them in the machine but add washing soda to the washing powder and vinegar instead of fabric conditioner and you will find that it will disappear like magic.
    Originally posted by lushkat
    Do you use a Cold/Warm/Hot temperature to wash white net curtains ??

I was thinking of using a hot 60deg temperature, but now not shure if I should use cold wash.

I want to wash now, so need answer soon !!
    Last edited by peter999; 03-03-2008 at 10:47 PM.
    • janb5
    • By janb5 3rd Mar 08, 10:49 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 5,970 Thanks
    janb5
    • 3rd Mar 08, 10:49 PM
    • 3rd Mar 08, 10:49 PM
    I would wash them on a delicate wash otherwise you may find you have a new problem in that they have shrunk!

Hope it works out well.

Also did you find out why they got mould in the first place- were they in a damp place?

Good luck

Jan
  • rachelleblondel
    • 4th Mar 08, 7:28 AM
    • 4th Mar 08, 7:28 AM
    borax is a natural mould killer, you need to get rid of all the pores to prevent it regrowing so treat windows as well
    simplicity is key

• A little stressed!!
    • By A little stressed!! 20th Apr 08, 1:30 PM
    • 1,995 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    A little stressed!!
    • 20th Apr 08, 1:30 PM
    • 20th Apr 08, 1:30 PM
    Originally posted by lushkat

Doing the same with my nets now! Would it need to be white vinegar? or any? many thanks!
    I'm getting older, and lifes getting harder!
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 20th Apr 08, 1:33 PM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 1,772 Thanks
    Fen1
    Soak in a strong soultion of nappy sterilizer (Milton type stuff).
  • jackiegibbo
    cleaning net curtain
    Hi how can i get black marks off of my net curtains please? i think they are caused by condensation
  • sunflower76
    I don't have nets in this house but I used to just chuck them i the washing machine on a cool wash. If the marks don't come off, and the curtain is white, then you could always try soaking it in a weak bleach solution overnight.
    • Fag_ash_lil
    • By Fag_ash_lil 28th Dec 08, 9:50 PM
    • 5,078 Posts
    • 33,416 Thanks
    Fag_ash_lil
    Hi ,

I've only got nets in one room , but i use Glo White .....they always look really white after this ...
    It comes in a sachet , which you mix with water and leave the net in a bucket to soak .....
    There is probably stuff you can get to put in the washing machine , but this has always worked well for me ...

terri x
    " When I'm good I'm very good , but when I'm bad I'm better " ~ Mae West ..
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Dec 08, 9:56 PM
    • 17,526 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi Jackie,

There's an earlier thread that may help so I've added your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

This thread may be useful too:

how to clean net curtains

Pink
  • jcr16
    would these tips also work on voile's ?

as when i took down my voiles to wash i noticed some slight little mould marks but they didn't come out when i washed them in just normal washing powder .
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
    • Fag_ash_lil
    • By Fag_ash_lil 29th Dec 08, 8:20 AM
    • 5,078 Posts
    • 33,416 Thanks
    Fag_ash_lil
    would these tips also work on voile's ?

as when i took down my voiles to wash i noticed some slight little mould marks but they didn't come out when i washed them in just normal washing powder .
    Originally posted by jcr16
    My mum has white voiles and uses Glo White ...... and they have come up great ...

terri x
    " When I'm good I'm very good , but when I'm bad I'm better " ~ Mae West ..
  • jcr16
    thankyou, i'll give it a whirl then. sure my local shop sells a sachet of glo white for a few pence . gonna start a huge spring( after xmas) clean soon so will do them all then.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
    • peter999
    • By peter999 29th Dec 08, 12:28 PM
    • 6,944 Posts
    • 2,926 Thanks
    peter999
    Add Soda Crystals to washing powder & use White Vinegar instead of conditioner.

Did all my white net curtains with this, came out very good.
  • mafdet
    I've just tried out Zziggi's tip of using Dettol's mildew remover. I happened to have some in the house. It needed just 15 minutes for the marks to disappear, then I thoroughly rinsed the nets in cool water and washed as normal. They look perfect!
    • Ben84
    • By Ben84 16th Nov 12, 2:20 PM
    • 2,819 Posts
    • 3,473 Thanks
    Ben84
    I found oxygen bleach powder (like oxyclean, although generic is just the same) get mould and the stains out of things pretty well. However, I also started hanging curtains 1-2" out from the window so they're not touching the glass which the condensation forms on. They don't get damp so don't go mouldy any more.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,949Posts Today

6,241Users online

Martin's Twitter