Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bob_regis
    • By bob_regis 1st Mar 06, 8:49 PM
    • 95Posts
    • 21Thanks
    bob_regis
    Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)
    • 1st Mar 06, 8:49 PM
    Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads) 1st Mar 06 at 8:49 PM
    I walked into the kitchen yesterday and saw a black rat/mouse move towards our bin in the kitchen, it came from the utility room.

Now what can I do to get rid of them?
    Should I buy the rat poison and leave it around or buy traps? How much should I buy and how long does it take to do the trick?

Is there anything else that I should do?
    Do I need to tell the council?

All help appreciated.
Page 66
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 6th Oct 17, 12:44 PM
    • 7,896 Posts
    • 1,837 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I was under the impression that mice usually die from heart attack once caught by a cat, also even the slightest cut turns septic once infected with cat saliva and they quickly die from that too, so it may have darted off and died in a shoe somewhere.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Lets hope so - because there's no sign of one !!
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 6th Oct 17, 1:10 PM
    • 7,896 Posts
    • 1,837 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Spotted some droppings by the gas fire in the front room - have moved traps to there !!
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 7th Oct 17, 11:09 AM
    • 3,342 Posts
    • 6,196 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Spotted some droppings by the gas fire in the front room - have moved traps to there !!
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    My own top tip is to never touch the trap with your bare hands (not that most people would want to anyway). Mice don't like changes to their environment and are sensitive to human smells, so it can take a while for a new trap to work.... if you move them around with bare hands then it is effectively a case of starting all over again.

What did you plan to do with any you catch humanely? If it is put them in the garden then bear in mind you may be catching the same ones again next week
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 7th Oct 17, 11:11 AM
    • 4,939 Posts
    • 3,946 Thanks
    glentoran99
    stop feeding the cats, they will soon get rid of the mice
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 7th Oct 17, 11:14 AM
    • 15,158 Posts
    • 13,585 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    My own top tip is to never touch the trap with your bare hands (not that most people would want to anyway). Mice don't like changes to their environment and are sensitive to human smells, so it can take a while for a new trap to work.... if you move them around with bare hands then it is effectively a case of starting all over again.

What did you plan to do with any you catch humanely? If it is put them in the garden then bear in mind you may be catching the same ones again next week
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    It's rats that are neophobic, rather than mice.
    If OP catches a mouse humanely, they need to release it a few miles from their house.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • Clairabella
    • By Clairabella 7th Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Clairabella
    If you do manage to catch him in a humane trap, don't make the mistake I did of having a little peek at him. He jumped out in a flash and I had to start over!!

Another time we had trails of droppings and couldn't find any mice. I brought in the local council who were bemused with the trails as they were not in the usual places. They set bait and a while later I moved a sofa and picked up what I thought was one of my son's toys only to find it was a very dead bat!!
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 8th Oct 17, 4:28 PM
    • 7,896 Posts
    • 1,837 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Still no sign of him/her
    Is it true that mice can live on paper - ie) Enough energy to keep them alive ?
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 8th Oct 17, 4:29 PM
    • 7,896 Posts
    • 1,837 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    It's rats that are neophobic, rather than mice.
    If OP catches a mouse humanely, they need to release it a few miles from their house.
    Originally posted by maninthestreet
    If I do catch it - it is going over the fence to next doors garden !!
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 11th Oct 17, 8:48 AM
    • 7,896 Posts
    • 1,837 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Outfoxed by mouse
    Mouse is stil running around somewhere in the house
    Spotted fresh droppings on window cill in hallway yesterday - 3 feet off the ground, with no way of climbing up there !!
    Set traps around the area - but none yet caught !
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 12th Oct 17, 9:45 AM
    • 7,896 Posts
    • 1,837 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    At last - mouse captured (after almost two weeks) and disposed of in the garden waste recyling bin (collected this morning) - so it will have the freedom to roam around the recyling site !!
    It was a largish grey mouse about 3 inches long + tail
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/33koxb6khnijecb/mouse%20workout.gif?dl=0
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 12-10-2017 at 10:44 AM.
    • clairacluck
    • By clairacluck 7th Nov 17, 8:34 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    clairacluck
    pests
    hi I moved into a council bungalow in feb. over the last few weeks I have heard movement in the loft and im guessing either rats or mice. we have fields and woodland over the back fence and get a lot of wildlife and a few rats that appear in the gardens. I managed to have a look in the loft hatch but there is so much insulation up there that is all over the place that I couldn't see much. problem is there are no boards up there and pipes and wires all over the place so I cant actually get up there. I did manage to spot a big wasp nest right on the other end of the loft but hoping its empty this time of year. my issue is because there are no boards up there to walk on will a pest controller go up there to investigate. looks like when council put the insulation down they literally threw it all over the place. any advice would be great, thanks
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 7th Nov 17, 8:44 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    Carrot007
    If it's so messy you can't see the joists to walk on then it's going to be hard.

Maybe get some traps to put near the hatch?

As for the wasps nest. Yeah don't worry. They only use a nest once. New one each year. Could be a hibernating queen in still I guess, but even if woken would be very drowsy.
    • Little Joe
    • By Little Joe 21st Nov 17, 9:03 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Little Joe
    I heard mice walking in my loft. I wanted to deal with it buy my wife was freaking out and as a result called this firm (I live outside Leeds). Their guy turned up and placed a few bags of poison down.He returned a week later believinh they would be gone by then; but we could still hear the mice. I paid £150 and the firm wanted another £60 to continue with the treatment! I then found out the local council charges £90 (with a few visits over a few weeks). So maybe this is a better option as I feel I wasted my money with no result. The most important issue is (besides poisoning the rodents) to block the entry points to your property; eg placing fine wire mesh over air bricks, wire wool around pipes and cables leading to loft, filling holes around property walls etc. Remember a .ose can get in through a pencil size hole.
    • GustyGardenGalaxy
    • By GustyGardenGalaxy 21st Nov 17, 9:25 PM
    • 609 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    GustyGardenGalaxy
    A better alternative is to invest in some electronic rat/mouse zappers (for example: https://www.screwfix.com/p/pest-stop-electronic-rodent-killer/76836). They kill the rodent quickly and humanely, unlike poison which causes a few days of suffering for the rodent (ever see one die from poison? I have, it's not at all nice). Also, a rodent that's dying from poison can crawl away to die in your wall space, so resulting in a bad smell in your house and perhaps even maggots or flies creeping into your living area from the smallest of cracks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,227Posts Today

5,540Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin