Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads) (Page 23)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)
Views: 211,740
# 441
loobyloo2
Old 09-08-2009, 12:04 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The poison that you can buy in the shop is certainly not the same as what professional pest control use.
Pest control have several different types that they use, ie waterproof wax blocks for outdoors, and even one that mummifies the body for awkward to reach places indoors (therefore no smell), the stuff in the shops does work (not quite as well as it is half strength), though mice can take quite a while to die from it, therefore, you must keep replacing the poison as they take it, when nothing more is being taken, then it has done its' job.

Perseverance helps
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 442
nat
Old 09-08-2009, 8:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default what kind of works for us

Unfortunately we get mice every year. So far it would be one or two but this year we had many more. We killed 2 with snapper traps, one with electric shock rat and mice killer and 5 with glue. We called rentokill and it seemed that we got rid of the mice, for 3 weeks, until yesterday when we found another one caught in glue..Need to call rentokil again, while our 1 month guarantee is still valid with them.
I blocked all visible holes with steel wool and covered ventilation bricks with mash covers.
When you position glue pads, put them 20-30 cm away from suspected mouse hole, as mice have poor eyesight and will not see them. And try to put them along the suspected mice runs
The mice drive me mad
Good luck
nat

Last edited by nat; 09-08-2009 at 8:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to nat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 443
ukbill69
Old 09-08-2009, 8:41 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I always use a rentokil rat trap and caramel chocolate, like a doner kebab to a drunk!
Kind Regards
Bill
# 444
nat
Old 09-08-2009, 8:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Forgot to say, we used different poisons in the past. This time mice were eating it like mad, but not dying from it. I found info that they can develop resistance to the pisons and that the pest control companies have to change poisons every so often. I also found info that the wheat looking poison (like grains but blue -green colour) has the poison in the middle and works well with rats (who cut through the grain when eating), but not with mice, as they chew around and leave the middle - this was evident with our infestation.
nat
The Following User Says Thank You to nat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 445
blushingbride
Old 29-10-2009, 3:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

i have mice again!

i hate it, i was getting washing out this morning & could hear scratching & then heard a sqeek somewhere above the boiler!

Think they are probably in the loft above utility room.

I went round before & blocked all the holes with expandable foam etc.

What i dont understand is we never see droppings!?maybe they are just in for warmth? no evidence of food being eaten etc.

I've got the blue posion down, which we used last year & traps.

We're thinking of getting a dog, found a terrier to rescue, do you think this wil help?

BB
# 446
mstar
Old 31-10-2009, 8:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default mouse traps?

hi ppl i wanted to ask if anyone has any opinions on mouse traps we have WE THINK one visitor in our house which is we think trapped as we sealed all the holes.

has anyone got any personal reccomendations for the best mouse traps?

i was thinking:

1. old classic spring mouse trap
2. ultrasonic mouse trap which you plug into the wall
3. electronic shock mouse trap (rentokil)

:confused:
# 447
phill99
Old 31-10-2009, 9:05 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Its getting cold so the mice will often come inside for the warmth. My ex had mice this time last year and we put down your No. 1 (Spring type). Baited with chocolate got them both. I understand they like peanut butter too. This type of trap is cheap, effective and kills the mouse instantly and therefore relatively humane.
# 448
mrsr
Old 31-10-2009, 9:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Rats what do we do now

Hope this is the right place to post this My mothers house has had a rat prob there in the loft and between the floor boards .we have had the council out who put poison down but weren't of help when it came to curing problem .The drains have had a camera down them the chimley has been covered , we have had a private pest control company to check all round the house to find where there getting in .next door who are elderly have them as well I asked them last week to get there place checked, again there wasn't any luck they couldn't tell us where there getting in .We have got a load of bait down in next doors and our atic at the moment but we really need to stop them getting in .I live next door but one and have no problems what so ever and none of the other nieghbours have rats either.Can anybody tell me where i go now ,who can i get to help .We are getting desperate but i don't know what i do now
# 449
skiTTish
Old 01-11-2009, 8:26 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Rats are opportunists ,they will go where the conditions are best so first off try to make sure there is nothing there for them ,make sure all areas of rubbish/materials that can be used for nesting/cover are removed and make sure they cannot access food ,bear in mind a sole teabag is enough to sustain an adult rat for several days and the less they eat the longer they live.As for getting in ,even of you cover all holes ,if the conditions are right for them ( as above) then they will get in a rat can chew through a door /plaster or even brick given enough time and determination.
I personally wouldnt use poison ,if a rat dies in a wall /under floor boards the smell will be awful and then you get problems with flies/maggots.
I would lay traps with melted chocolate as bait and have you tried one of those ultrasonic repellers ?

Last edited by skiTTish; 01-11-2009 at 8:28 AM.
# 450
mrsr
Old 01-11-2009, 8:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiTTish View Post
Rats are opportunists ,they will go where the conditions are best so first off try to make sure there is nothing there for them ,make sure all areas of rubbish/materials that can be used for nesting/cover are removed and make sure they cannot access food ,bear in mind a sole teabag is enough to sustain an adult rat for several days and the less they eat the longer they live.As for getting in ,even of you cover all holes ,if the conditions are right for them ( as above) then they will get in a rat can chew through a door /plaster or even brick given enough time and determination.
I personally wouldnt use poison ,if a rat dies in a wall /under floor boards the smell will be awful and then you get problems with flies/maggots.
I would lay traps with melted chocolate as bait and have you tried one of those ultrasonic repellers ?

Thanks for reply
Thankfully there not getting into inside of house .I know what you mean about them dying from poison , smell ,flys but we had no choice we were over run with them it was impossable to sleep at night.This has been going on for over a year now we have done everything we can but still can't find out where there getting in.I have tried pest control companys and evan a builder but still no luck.This is my mothers house and next door and her are the only ones with the problem .I let the house to my nephew my mother has had to go into a nursing home he has been very patient putting up with noise i don't think any other tenant would have stood it ,the problem is i think he's at end of his tether now .The rent is important to pay for care we wouldn't be able to relet with Rats runing round loft and between floor boards .so i'm really despaerate don't know where else to get help
# 451
tipsychick
Old 01-11-2009, 9:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi mrsr

God, that sounds like an absolute nightmare! I couldn't bear to be in bed and hear them running around above.

We've just (fingers crossed) got rid of some that were living in next door's garden but coming under the fence and running about under our shed. I don't know if different groups of rats in different geographical areas develop resistance to the poison but we're in London and this worked really well:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs...archtext%3ERAT

I bunged it down in large quantities in trays under the shed using peanut butter to bait and after a few days of feverish activity, all seems to have gone quiet.

I read rats need a freshwater source and will travel to it. Are they drinking from the water tank in the loft? Make sure that's properly covered (and don't use bathroom taps for drinking).

If the poison hadn't worked, we'd have tried baited cages next and drowned them in a water butt or wheelie bin filled with a hose. Rats like to stick to the perimeter of rooms/gardens (think "rat run"), so make sure the cages are placed appropriately.

Failing all that, what about borrowing a Jack Russell? Maybe local kennel club could help. They're meant to be great ratters.

It's all I've thought about for the last couple of weeks. I can really empathize with how desperate you must be.
# 452
tipsychick
Old 01-11-2009, 9:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just to add, I don't think the ultrasonic repellers get very good reviews from what I've read - the reviews are pretty mixed even for deterring mice.

They're not getting in under the eaves are they? I was really glad our chimney pots are already covered because of a squirrel problem. Incidentally, they love the rat poison even more than the bulbs I've just planted and I haven't seen one for a few days either. (Just made me think of Sex and the City when SJP says squirrels are just rats with a better outfit!)
# 453
mrsr
Old 01-11-2009, 11:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsychick View Post
Just to add, I don't think the ultrasonic repellers get very good reviews from what I've read - the reviews are pretty mixed even for deterring mice.

They're not getting in under the eaves are they? I was really glad our chimney pots are already covered because of a squirrel problem. Incidentally, they love the rat poison even more than the bulbs I've just planted and I haven't seen one for a few days either. (Just made me think of Sex and the City when SJP says squirrels are just rats with a better outfit!)
Thanks for that
I agree about ultrasonic repellers we have got two there usless.We have had the roof checked there dosn't seem to be any gaps .We thought at first we had squirrels because noise was so bad ,maybe they would have been easier to stop.My kind nieghbour was up in loft today putting loads of bait down and he did the elderly nieghbours as well ,hopefully it will keep them down ,not the best solution but my poor nephew needs his sleep
# 454
Jim_Chem
Old 15-11-2009, 4:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Major Problem!

I have just found out that we have mice in our flat :-(

Gonna have to get the landlord to get it sorted. Got a couple of traps this morning, and in about 4/5 hours have managed to get 8 mice. So I am guessing there are ALOT of them!

Its a bit rubbish, as i Brush the floors pretty much every day and last night was the first time we saw any sign of them (one ran across the floor)

I have had to give up with the trap in the bathroom (under the bath) because I could not deal with having to remove another dead rat every half an hour. The last one put me off a little bit too. 2 caught in the one trap. It was not a pleasent sight!

Gonna keep one in the kitchen tho as I dont like the idea of them skuttling around in the kitchen.
# 455
carrie_grace
Old 15-11-2009, 9:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have had mice for a couple of weeks and could not bear it. So I got this company round yesterday http://www.pestremovals.co.uk. It is not cheap, but it seems effective - the guy came round and put a gel down that the mice hate, so they leave the house and don't come back. He out the stuff under my kitchen units and behind all my furniture and across the back door. Fingers crossed, it seems to have worked.
# 456
Jim_Chem
Old 16-11-2009, 12:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I know its gonna be fairly difficult for me to get rid of mice/rats in my flat living in such a built up area like london, and being connected to pretty much all of the shops on the street next to mine. So i am guessing that the only thing i can really do it block up all the holes I can find to stop them gaining access.

Do people think that if i were to fill up any I find with expanding foam this will be enough to keep them out?
# 457
Bree
Old 16-11-2009, 1:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Chem View Post
I know its gonna be fairly difficult for me to get rid of mice/rats in my flat living in such a built up area like london, and being connected to pretty much all of the shops on the street next to mine. So i am guessing that the only thing i can really do it block up all the holes I can find to stop them gaining access.

Do people think that if i were to fill up any I find with expanding foam this will be enough to keep them out?
Expanding foam on it's own won't stop them as they'll just munch their way back through. I know I tried it once. What I found worked was to stuff holes with wire wool, then expanding foam or polyfilla just to cover the wool and to tidy the hole.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bree For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 458
Jim_Chem
Old 16-11-2009, 1:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks! I will be stuffing some wire wool in with it now I think.

I have been reading through this tread and am getting a little worried tho. As people seem to be saying they catch one or two in a week or so, but yesterday when i purchaced some traps, they were going off within 10 mins of them being set. I hope there are not hundreds of them running around. I dont like the idea of rats (I have managed to convince my partner they are just big mice, she was ready to pack her bags and go to her mom and dads in the midlands when she thought they were rats) running all over my flat
# 459
mrcow
Old 16-11-2009, 2:09 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Jim - keep going with the traps.

It is horrible, but it is a very effective way of dealing with it (moreso than any other way I've come across). It won't go on forever.
"One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
# 460
Jim_Chem
Old 16-11-2009, 2:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I would keep going with the traps, but i cant really cope with clearning rat brains off of them when it catches them right on the head. I have also had quite a few that they didn't actually kill and the misses did not really do very well with hearing the sqeel and scratching. the one that caught two really put me off as did the one where it only caught its nose, leaving it alive bit with a crushes face. I dont really think its very humaine either if about a quater of them dont die straight away and just sit their in pain til i have to actually get them and kill them myself.

*edit*

In short, I am fine when it kills them instatantly, but I have had quite a few that it hasn't killed so i have had to finish the job. Its not like i got cheap traps either! I got some more pricey ones hoping that they would do a more efficient job in the killing quickly.

Last edited by Jim_Chem; 16-11-2009 at 2:23 PM.