Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 26th Mar 09, 10:30 PM
    • 19,494 Posts
    • 14,453 Thanks
    Lokolo
    • 26th Mar 09, 10:30 PM
    • 26th Mar 09, 10:30 PM
    Coinstar charge 7.9p for every £1 which are available in most supermarkets. Not sure where you got the 20p from.

If you are a HSBC customer a number of their branches have coin counting machines. Although not a lot.

Other than that, coin bags are the answer.
  • TomCon
    • 27th Mar 09, 12:26 AM
    • 27th Mar 09, 12:26 AM
    If you could bag them up yourself and take them to the post office they can change them for you. I wouldn't do it all at once though as they might not like that.
    • antispam246
    • By antispam246 27th Mar 09, 2:13 AM
    • 875 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    antispam246
    • 27th Mar 09, 2:13 AM
    • 27th Mar 09, 2:13 AM
    Barclays have them to, I'm assuming they're free, as it was suggested I use one next time when i turned up at a counter with several bags of coins. They still processed them at the counter however.

• rb10
    • 27th Mar 09, 8:52 AM
    • 27th Mar 09, 8:52 AM
    Although when faced with a lot of coin it looks like it'll be a mammoth task to sort it all out, if you do it one rainy evening (maybe get a couple of friends to help), you can get through a massive amount of coin in a very short time. I managed to do £500 with a couple of people helping me in about an hour recently. In terms of celebrations tins, I'd say this was about 2-3 tins' worth.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 27th Mar 09, 11:16 AM
    • 4,747 Posts
    • 3,873 Thanks
    Farway
    • 27th Mar 09, 11:16 AM
    • 27th Mar 09, 11:16 AM
    My local Morison's has a self service checkout, scan your own items

On these checkouts there is a facility to pay cash as well as plastic

You can just bung all the change into the funnel & it sorts & counts for you, then uses it to pay for your shopping, without any fee, so £10 is still £10

I have done this with my loose change so know it works
  • rb10
    • 27th Mar 09, 11:32 AM
    • 27th Mar 09, 11:32 AM
    My local Morison's has a self service checkout, scan your own items

On these checkouts there is a facility to pay cash as well as plastic

You can just bung all the change into the funnel & it sorts & counts for you, then uses it to pay for your shopping, without any fee, so £10 is still £10

I have done this with my loose change so know it works
    Originally posted by Farway
    That is an amazing idea!
  • jimbobboi
    • 27th Mar 09, 6:42 PM
    • 27th Mar 09, 6:42 PM
    HSBC have counters, they are free and it gets deposited into your bank account. If you don't have an HSBC account then do what I did and find a friend, they let me put the money in their account and then transferred it to my account.
  • withnell
    • 27th Mar 09, 7:52 PM
    • 27th Mar 09, 7:52 PM
    Can First Direct customers use the HSBC coin counting machines?
    Can First Direct customers use the HSBC coin counting machines?
    Originally posted by withnell
    according to this yes - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=3199599&highlight=first+direct+c oinstar#post3199599
    • Cook_County
    • By Cook_County 28th Mar 09, 7:53 AM
    • 2,772 Posts
    • 2,020 Thanks
    Cook_County
    I would suggest self-service machines at Morrisons, Tesco's etc...
    • isofa
    • By isofa 28th Mar 09, 11:13 AM
    • 5,959 Posts
    • 3,001 Thanks
    isofa
    We have a box in the house for coppers, and each year I bag it up and pay into our bank, so hassle no loss of money on "coin machines", usually bank £2 to £5 in coppers each year, which is a decent amount in weight!
    • savetilibleed
    • By savetilibleed 28th Mar 09, 4:44 PM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    savetilibleed
    We have a box in the house for coppers, and each year I bag it up and pay into our bank, so hassle no loss of money on "coin machines", usually bank £2 to £5 in coppers each year, which is a decent amount in weight!
    Originally posted by isofa
    Exactly what I do. I have a box (for a charity) that I use to collect coppers and 5p's. When the box is full to bursting, I count it out into bank bags, then send a cheque (maybe adding a bit to make it worthwhile) to the charity.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,503Posts Today

6,483Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @WaterWatchdog: More than 250,000 consumers used our water meter calculator in 2015/16 - thanks in no small part to this man.... https:/?

• A phrase I never thought I'd read, "George Clooney plays Lee Gates, a brash version of our Martin Lewis" - Sun's review of Money Monster.

• RT @BeautyMeSurrey: @MartinSLewis sainsburys offer is back working!! Thank you!

• Follow Martin