Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Savings & Investments > Can Inland Revenue look in my bank accounts? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can Inland Revenue look in my bank accounts?
Closed Thread
Views: 27,296
# 1
lanmonkey
Old 17-03-2009, 10:20 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Can Inland Revenue look in my bank accounts?

I have always wondered this, Im not a tax crook or anything but I always assumed that the Inland Revenue / government can look in any bank accounts it likes.

Is this true?

Thanks
# 2
1984ReturnsForReal
Old 17-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

if they have the smallest piece of evidence or intelligence, Yes & you wouldnt even know.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1984ReturnsForReal For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
RubyBish
Old 17-03-2009, 10:55 AM
MoneySaving Convert

All banks have a legal obligation to submit a report detailing customers and the interest earnt and the tax deducted. This is known as an S17 report IIRC. HMRC will use these reports to match up against individuals and then pursue any discrepencancies directly with the individual.

How effective the matching process is, is debatable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RubyBish For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
musehead
Old 17-03-2009, 11:07 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Can they look at individual transactions?
The Following User Says Thank You to musehead For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
BruceyBonus
Old 17-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by musehead View Post
If they have any evidence (or suspicion) of any wrong-doing, then yes they can.
The Following User Says Thank You to BruceyBonus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
cos69
Old 17-03-2009, 11:43 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by musehead View Post
Don't remember what the limit is, but all transactions above the limit get flagged for potential money laundering activities. The limit varies, I think it may be 25k
"How could I have been so mistaken as to trust the experts" - John F Kennedy 1962
The Following User Says Thank You to cos69 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Blah99
Old 17-03-2009, 7:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceyBonus View Post
If they have any evidence (or suspicion) of any wrong-doing, then yes they can.
Not without a warrant or court order, they can't. They can access the summary data (interest earned) etc but detailed transactions/balances are not free and open for inspection. Same goes for councils and other public bodies that might want to snoop on your records.
Mmmm, credit crunch. Tasty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blah99 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
lanmonkey
Old 18-03-2009, 10:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah99 View Post
Not without a warrant or court order, they can't. They can access the summary data (interest earned) etc but detailed transactions/balances are not free and open for inspection. Same goes for councils and other public bodies that might want to snoop on your records.
This is what I always thought. I mean if it was that easy to look in someones bank account(s) there would be no benefit fraud.

Glad to know this is in fact the case.

Anyone got any links with details?

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to lanmonkey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Stavros
Old 18-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Schedule 1 production order within the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984, signed by a High court judge authorising officers to inspect bank accounts
Liquidity is when you look at your investment portfolio and **** your pants
The Following User Says Thank You to Stavros For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
lanmonkey
Old 18-03-2009, 11:29 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
Schedule 1 production order within the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984, signed by a High court judge authorising officers to inspect bank accounts
wow, so they would have to have pretty strong evidence before they even consider asking a judge for permission to look in yoru bank accounts
The Following User Says Thank You to lanmonkey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Stavros
Old 18-03-2009, 1:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanmonkey View Post
wow, so they would have to have pretty strong evidence before they even consider asking a judge for permission to look in yoru bank accounts
Absolutely
Liquidity is when you look at your investment portfolio and **** your pants
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stavros For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
sabretoothtigger
Old 18-03-2009, 1:17 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via ICQ to sabretoothtigger Send a message via AIM to sabretoothtigger Send a message via Yahoo to sabretoothtigger

HMRC can command the police and local army unit in recovery of any revenue it suspects due and may break into houses without a formal search warrant if circumstances demand it

I wouldnt be surprised if project echelon had recorded your ip and dispatched agents as we speak
Quote:
Tokyo residential prices have gone from 4x London in 1990 to London in 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenspan, Federal Reserve
There is no other agency of government which can overrule actions that we take
The Following User Says Thank You to sabretoothtigger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
FraudBuster
Old 18-03-2009, 1:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Check out the disclosure T&C's you signed when opening the bank account.
The Following User Says Thank You to FraudBuster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Farway
Old 18-03-2009, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraudBuster View Post
Check out the disclosure T&C's you signed when opening the bank account.
Agree, but all I suspect have a clause about "disclosure within the law" or such like, even the Swiss have now fallen into line [with much arm twisting]
The Following User Says Thank You to Farway For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Blah99
Old 18-03-2009, 7:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Yes. They either try and trick you by getting you into a room and saying "so we know you earned X interest last year on undeclared amounts, want to tell us about it", when they don't actually have the detailed proof. Or if the amount earned is sufficiently huge (or your assets are clearly way beyond your means) they can use that as reasonable suspicion.

There's also the proceeds of crime act, and SOCA have some pretty nasty powers but are fairly ineffective at using them.
# 16
Blah99
Old 18-03-2009, 7:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farway View Post
Agree, but all I suspect have a clause about "disclosure within the law" or such like, even the Swiss have now fallen into line [with much arm twisting]
Correct. Remember that the wonderful human rights legislation guarantees us all a right to pay stupid amounts in compensation to scum.. oh, no, sorry, I mean it guarantees us a right to life free of state interference. The T&Cs only allow the bank to disclose information when there is a legal obligation to do so. To do it at any other time is actually a breach of the data protection act, even if the data is going to a public body.

The Swiss situation is extremely specific and limited in scope.
# 17
Primrose
Old 19-03-2009, 11:09 AM

Interesting discussion. Was just wondering whether one could ask the Customs & Revenue whether they had ever asked for access to your account under the Freedom of Information Act? From time to time there have been relatively large sums of money going in and out of our accounts as we move our savings around in search of better interest rates/fixed rate bonds, especially when you have to move money through a current account before you can set up a new savings account and write out a cheque. I'm wondering whether this type of activity would trigger their interest?
The Following User Says Thank You to Primrose For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
LesU
Old 19-03-2009, 11:54 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
I think a great deal of naivety is being displayed in these posts that state that the police or customs need to go cap in hand to a judge.
All they have to do is state a possible link to drugs or terrorism (aka money laundering) and they can do whatever they like.
Remember, you're not safe even if you are an MP inside the House of Commons!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LesU For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Blah99
Old 19-03-2009, 7:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
Interesting discussion. Was just wondering whether one could ask the Customs & Revenue whether they had ever asked for access to your account under the Freedom of Information Act? From time to time there have been relatively large sums of money going in and out of our accounts as we move our savings around in search of better interest rates/fixed rate bonds, especially when you have to move money through a current account before you can set up a new savings account and write out a cheque. I'm wondering whether this type of activity would trigger their interest?
No, it wouldn't, unless you're talking very regular (daily to weekly) transfers of 10k+ batches, or regular transfers (monthly) of 100k+ batches, or individual transfers of 1m+.

The FOI Act doesn't apply to individuals as such. If you're asking whether you've been put under surveillance you can make a DPA subject access request to get all info stored on you. However, if you imagine the situation where you're an organised crime boss, the DPA request can be ignored by the authorities. In that case, if you have a suspicion you're being placed under surveillance by any UK public body (police, SOCA, council etc) you can make a surveillance request to the Home Office. They will then look at your case and make a determination as to whether to lie to you or tell you the truth.

The system is mainly intended for people who believe they've been wrongfully placed under surveillance or on a watch list. They can appeal to the Home Office to review their case, but it's a blind process because obviously the surveillance can't be confirmed or denied until it's found to be unrequired/unlawful.

Quote:
I think a great deal of naivety is being displayed in these posts that state that the police or customs need to go cap in hand to a judge.
All they have to do is state a possible link to drugs or terrorism (aka money laundering) and they can do whatever they like. Remember, you're not safe even if you are an MP inside the House of Commons!
You're confusing issues. Disregard the Damian Green thing, because that's irrelevant.

Yes, the police could *potentially* engage a wiretap or surveillance on you without proper legal authorisation, but when the case went to court and discovery was initiated your legal defence would be a failure to follow the law. Remember that the police cannot lie or be generous with the facts to obtain a warrant and they must have reasonable cause for suspicion, which includes evidence to back it up. Fishing isn't allowed.
# 20
Trollfever
Old 19-03-2009, 7:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Fishing isn't allowed.

http://cndyorks.gn.apc.org/mhs/index.htm

Quote:
All telecommunications traffic to and from Europe and passing through Britain can be intercepted at the base, including private telephone calls, faxes, emails and other communications. Much of the information is collected, processed and relayed back to the United States automatically.

Last edited by Trollfever; 19-03-2009 at 7:43 PM. Reason: Addition,
Closed Thread