Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 22nd Feb 06, 9:13 PM
    • 3,055Posts
    • 15,424Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    REALLY Stubborn limescale!
    • 22nd Feb 06, 9:13 PM
    REALLY Stubborn limescale! 22nd Feb 06 at 9:13 PM
    I have been using OS cleaning products and ideas for a few weeks now and am loving them, but I have a problem with extremely stubborn limescale under the rim of the toilet. Even mega powerful chemical stuff won't shift it completely. I need something which won't just drip down, but will adhere, like a paste, so that I can leave it on to work for a while. Has anyone got any ideas?
Page 1
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 22nd Feb 06, 9:21 PM
    • 23,798 Posts
    • 3,164,925 Thanks
    comping cat
    • 22nd Feb 06, 9:21 PM
    • 22nd Feb 06, 9:21 PM
    Have you tried a paste of vinegar and bicarb? that might help, as vinegar will remove limescale from taps, and the bicarb will help make it a paste, and give it an extra umpf!!!!
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 22nd Feb 06, 9:22 PM
    • 8,349 Posts
    • 14,441 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 22nd Feb 06, 9:22 PM
    • 22nd Feb 06, 9:22 PM
    I have been using OS cleaning products and ideas for a few weeks now and am loving them, but I have a problem with extremely stubborn limescale under the rim of the toilet. Even mega powerful chemical stuff won't shift it completely. I need something which won't just drip down, but will adhere, like a paste, so that I can leave it on to work for a while. Has anyone got any ideas?
    by recovering spendaholic

Bicarb and vinegar in a paste. Worth a try.

Yours

Calley
  • Bossyboots
    • 22nd Feb 06, 9:33 PM
    • 22nd Feb 06, 9:33 PM
    Bicarb and vinegar in a paste. Worth a try.

Yours

Calley
    by calleyw

Definitely worth a try. It works like a dream. You might have to persevere but believe me, having cleaned three skanky toilets in rental flats for my son, this will work.
    • Katgoddess
    • By Katgoddess 22nd Feb 06, 9:38 PM
    • 1,785 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    Katgoddess
    • 22nd Feb 06, 9:38 PM
    • 22nd Feb 06, 9:38 PM
    I read somewhere on here about someone who soaked toilet roll in vinegar and stuck it to the side of the toilet and left overnight. Kitchen roll would probably be easier to manage as it is larger.
    "A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for."
  • Sarahsaver
    • 22nd Feb 06, 10:01 PM
    • 22nd Feb 06, 10:01 PM
    Not very OS but i got some Cillit BANG (flippin silly name eh?) reduced in wilko's and by eck it works!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • Chipps
    • By Chipps 22nd Feb 06, 10:15 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,802 Thanks
    Chipps
    • 22nd Feb 06, 10:15 PM
    • 22nd Feb 06, 10:15 PM
    I was going to suggest the "stuff vinegar-soaked kitchen towel" method. It works around taps etc, so should work there.. although if anyone wants to use the loo in the night it might be a problem!!!!
    Vinegar is brilliant for just eating away limescale. Great stuff!
    • mossy
    • By mossy 22nd Feb 06, 10:25 PM
    • 1,085 Posts
    • 7,746 Thanks
    mossy
    • 22nd Feb 06, 10:25 PM
    • 22nd Feb 06, 10:25 PM
    I tried cillit bang stuff but it couldn't shift the limescale on my bathroom taps so I'll give the vinegar paste a go.
    Once in a Lifetime Holiday to Disney....the sequel!!
    2301/8088 28.45%

Emergency Fund Savings - #148 - 157/1000 15.7%
    #083 SPC6 63 - SPC7 90 - SPC8 63 - SPC9 - Ta for the stars Sue
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 22nd Feb 06, 11:38 PM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 15,424 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    • 22nd Feb 06, 11:38 PM
    What kind of vinegar?
    • 22nd Feb 06, 11:38 PM
    Thanks for all your replies. I have read about people using white or distilled vinegar for cleaning - is that what you all use?
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 23rd Feb 06, 8:19 AM
    • 23,798 Posts
    • 3,164,925 Thanks
    comping cat
    Thanks for all your replies. I have read about people using white or distilled vinegar for cleaning - is that what you all use?
    by recovering spendaholic
    Yes, i use the white distilled vinegar, but i do know lots of people do use normal malt vinegar without any staining!!!! I will prob use that (as it is cheaper) once ive used all my clear stuff!!!!!
  • Bossyboots
    Yes, i use the white distilled vinegar, but i do know lots of people do use normal malt vinegar without any staining!!!! I will prob use that (as it is cheaper) once ive used all my clear stuff!!!!!
    by catowen

Don't use the brown vinegar on carpets. Otherwise, it is fine for everyday cleaning including in the whites wash in the washing machine.
  • MrsB
    Flylady's site recommends pumice stone for removing limescale from toilet bowls. She means when it's quite thick and looks like it could be chipped away I believe, but she says to empty the water out and use a pumice stone to gently scrub the scale away. Never tried it, but if all else fails :confused:
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are Milton Berle
  • Jays
    I read somewhere on here about someone who soaked toilet roll in vinegar and stuck it to the side of the toilet and left overnight. Kitchen roll would probably be easier to manage as it is larger.
    by Katgoddess
    Just read this thread, and this comes months later so may not be relevant - or maybe too late!!

If you use kitchen paper instead of loo roll, is there not a danger of the kitchen paper blocking the toilet when you flush it? or have you done to the messy trouble of scrapping it out before you flush?
    • larmy16
    • By larmy16 28th Apr 06, 10:55 PM
    • 4,217 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    larmy16
    Harpic 100% limescale remover toilet cleaner is the best in my opinion. You could (using gloves), soak your kitchen towel in that and shove up the rim. Dont flush it down the loo. Once you have removed it, use an old toothbrush once a week to keep the limescale from forming
    Grocery Challenge 139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• starlite
    fab way to avoid limescale in a kettle..
    I recently came across a tip of throwing two small seashells into your kettle to stop limescalebuild up.

I'm gladto say my previous monthly soak and scrub with white vinegar is now a thing of the past!
    It works so well..

now ....do any seafaring o.stylers fancy posting me some new shells!? lol
    Membre Of Teh Misspleing Culb
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 5th May 06, 11:32 AM
    • 1,881 Posts
    • 2,618 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Limescale
    Thanks for that starlite, you learn something new everyday. Our water is lovely and no limescale, but moving next year to an area where we will have that problem, so taking a note of this now.
    Do you want me to pop along to the beach now and pick you up some shells?
  • starlite
    lol..well i grew up with good old yorkshire water so moving to london was quite a shock!

I soon learned the methods though!..

i.e once a week all the taps get wrapped in musiln soaked in vinegar overnight and then scoured..
  • diamondcatz
    Apparently a coulpe of marbles does the trick:confused:
    olympic challenge week 6 = $414.70
    slowly slowly REBEL NO. 21
  • starlite
    thanks- we tried that but we have a lightweight chrome kettle that 'revs' when boiling and they dented it all around the bottom...

speaking of kettles has anyone seen the new ones that boil to under boiling temp.. (god that makes no sense but can't think how else to describe it..lol)

they look great as boiling water can ruin good tea or cofee..and even the tiny energy saving all adds up!
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 5th May 06, 1:20 PM
    • 1,881 Posts
    • 2,618 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Limescale
    lol..well i grew up with good old yorkshire water so moving to london was quite a shock!

I soon learned the methods though!..

i.e once a week all the taps get wrapped in musiln soaked in vinegar overnight and then scoured..
    by starlite
    Oh stop it starlite, hadn't even thought of that - am going to have so much more housework to do!
    Never mind, will have a beach nearby too, so can always pick up some sea-shells!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,108Posts Today

4,152Users online

Martin's Twitter