Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > Do any online banks show pending payments? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Do any online banks show pending payments?
Closed Thread
Views: 5,308
# 1
ashleyandbarry
Old 14-03-2009, 3:08 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Do any online banks show pending payments?

We're currently with the co-op, and they never show what payments you have pending, which is really annoying, because if you don't get receipts at wherever you've shopped, it's so easy to forget exactly what you've spent. I could have sworn there was an advert a couple years ago about an online banking service that got updated really often. Am I mistaken?
# 2
krisskross
Old 14-03-2009, 3:36 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I have Barclays online banking and it is really accurate. The payment may not be showing in the itemised balance but will have been deducted if I use the 'at a glance' figure. This is only with my debit card or cash withdrawals.
# 3
BruceyBonus
Old 14-03-2009, 3:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

With HSBC, debit card transactions are knocked off the available balance immediately after they are processed.
# 4
JoseChungsDoomsday
Old 14-03-2009, 3:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

co-op/smile are the only bank i know off that don't show authorisations on your debit card. shame really
# 5
ashleyandbarry
Old 14-03-2009, 3:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseChungsDoomsday View Post
co-op/smile are the only bank i know off that don't show authorisations on your debit card. shame really
I called natwest out of curiousity and they said they won't show pending payments either :confused:
# 6
SalsaDanca
Old 14-03-2009, 5:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Lloyds TSB doesn't show debit card transactions until a couple of working days after they happened, but cashpoint withdrawals appear on internet banking immediately.

Like most other banks, authorised debit card transactions are deducted from the available balance immediately, so you can work how much you have spent.
# 7
elaina79
Old 14-03-2009, 5:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

When I use my solo card with RBS, the payments can sometimes be reserved for a few days. Most of the time they are taken after these few days but occassionally the amount can go back on your balance, making it appear you have more than you do.
To stop me from overspending I have created a spreadsheet to note down what I have spent, that way I don't spend the money twice by mistake.
I used to suffer from lack of motivation.... now I just can't be arsed.

Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 1141 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
# 8
Errata
Old 14-03-2009, 5:32 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

If you use a card the till automatically spits out a transaction slip. This is your record of how much you spent, when and where. What's the problem with that ?
.....................I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...

Last edited by Errata; 14-03-2009 at 7:40 PM.
# 9
agsnu
Old 14-03-2009, 7:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If overspending is a problem, then perhaps consider using cash?
# 10
jonesMUFCforever
Old 14-03-2009, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalsaDanca View Post
Lloyds TSB doesn't show debit card transactions until a couple of working days after they happened, but cashpoint withdrawals appear on internet banking immediately.

Like most other banks, authorised debit card transactions are deducted from the available balance immediately, so you can work how much you have spent.
By clicking on the account name in Account overview you get the available balance.
What goes around - comes around
give lots and you will always receive lots
# 11
withnell
Old 14-03-2009, 8:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
If you use a card the till automatically spits out a transaction slip. This is your record of how much you spent, when and where. What's the problem with that ?
Not for all transactions - for instance online purchases.

While it's easy to say "write a list", if you buy some things at work, some at home etc, it's easy to lose track - that's why I always use a credit card!
# 12
BruceyBonus
Old 14-03-2009, 8:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Today when I was in Tesco, the self-scan didn't print a receipt. The girl checked the machine and said it ran out of paper - as someone had used it after me, she would have to get her manager to go upstairs and print a receipt from the computer system. I declined this as I wanted to get going. Having my available balance decrease was very useful as it enabled me to keep a record of the amount.
# 13
skylight
Old 14-03-2009, 8:52 PM

My Natwest Step account shows everything immediately online. Not though who I spent it with, just an overview of a POS point of sale or ATM transaction - the companys names are shown a few days later.
# 14
ashleyandbarry
Old 14-03-2009, 8:59 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylight View Post
My Natwest Step account shows everything immediately online. Not though who I spent it with, just an overview of a POS point of sale or ATM transaction - the companys names are shown a few days later.
So anytime you use your debit card it shows up immediately online? They told me it would only show up after it was no longer pending. But when was the last time a helpdesk person was helpful?
The Following User Says Thank You to ashleyandbarry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
skylight
Old 14-03-2009, 9:36 PM

No - mine appear virtually immediately. Regardless of a spend online or at a store. It stays there, but occassionally goes missing and then re-appears later. I think that it disappears if the company do not process the transaction fast enough. And it appears straight away on OHs Natwest Step account too.

Its why I use it over my co-op account as those take days to appear.
The Following User Says Thank You to skylight For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
ashleyandbarry
Old 14-03-2009, 9:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

The only reason we're with the co-op is for the ethical policies, but I've just had a look on the ethical consumer website, and the co-op actually rated really low! It said it was something to do with the activities of their supermarkets, but that doesn't really make sense, because they're tied with M&S as most ethical supermarket. Anyone have some insight on that?
# 17
The Pedant
Old 15-03-2009, 1:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

This is something that has always frustrated me. On my online banking, the differing balances showing in a coulpe of places do, kind of hint about pending transactions.

My question though, is why can't they list these separately?:confused:

- They know the total amounts pending, as that is clear from the different balances
- They therefore know the amount of the individual transactions
- They know they are pending

So what's the problem with them doing it?

Imagine, at the top of your transaction list

14/03 Current balance . . . . . . . .£88.76
-----
14/03 Pending transaction . £10.00 . £88.76
14/03 Pending transaction . £1.24 . .£98.76
-----
13/03 Cleared balance . . . . . . . £100.00
13/03 Quickie mart . . . . .£7.23 . £100.00
12/03 Amazon.com . . . . . .£12.77 .£107.23
-----
10/03 Starting balance. . . . . . . £120.00

Even if it doesn't show the name, and on the understanding that these may only be pre-authorised amounts; it will at least allow people to gain an understanding of what transactions are outstanding or to spark that recall that the £50 you thought you were missing was mostly just your petrol fill up on the way home yesterday.

I dunno ... maybe they like keeping people in the dark?
# 18
Nigella
Old 15-03-2009, 1:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It is odd but banks work oddly. Co-Op shows daily credits/debits after midnight but not pending payments where some do. ??? !!!

Some Atm's will show balance and available balance to the penny.

Natwest/RBS just shows the amount avail from an ATM.

You could ring them up too.
# 19
Rustvaar
Old 15-03-2009, 2:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Reply relates to posts above (#8 and #11); If I don't get a receipt I ask for one, what's an extra fifteen seconds onto the time of a shop? (If anyone actually has a reply to this clearly rhetorical question then I suggest you loosen the necktie and stop quaffing Starbuck's, Mr. Busybody Executive)

If I don't or can't get a receipt I key any expenses into my phone while I walk down the road as if it were a text. Save it as a draft - with a little hint as to where it was spent. At the end of the day I just key the details to a very basic spreadsheet - means that I know where absolutely everything has gone and there's no confusion.

If your life is too busy for the above, and you're still wanting to keep track of spending, then I suggest you try to make time - it's really not difficult. Took me about two weeks to get into the swing of it now it's just second nature to buy something and memorise the cost or store it on the phone. Pen and paper works just fine too.
Debt: £0.00
Savings: £2,600.00
Latest Bi-Weekly Grocery Fiasco:
£55.87 (£10.02)
# 20
ashleyandbarry
Old 15-03-2009, 5:41 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustvaar View Post
Reply relates to posts above (#8 and #11); If I don't get a receipt I ask for one, what's an extra fifteen seconds onto the time of a shop? (If anyone actually has a reply to this clearly rhetorical question then I suggest you loosen the necktie and stop quaffing Starbuck's, Mr. Busybody Executive)

If I don't or can't get a receipt I key any expenses into my phone while I walk down the road as if it were a text. Save it as a draft - with a little hint as to where it was spent. At the end of the day I just key the details to a very basic spreadsheet - means that I know where absolutely everything has gone and there's no confusion.

If your life is too busy for the above, and you're still wanting to keep track of spending, then I suggest you try to make time - it's really not difficult. Took me about two weeks to get into the swing of it now it's just second nature to buy something and memorise the cost or store it on the phone. Pen and paper works just fine too.

Neither my husband or myself is anywhere near that organised, nor do either of us have that good of a memory, that's why it would be easier for us to be able to see our exact balance whenever we want. It might be lazy, but having a bank account is kind lazy in itself.
Closed Thread