Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Pere Ubu
    British Gas & Power Flush
    • 21st Feb 06, 10:38 PM
    British Gas & Power Flush 21st Feb 06 at 10:38 PM
    Have elec/gas/heating service/and plumbing with British Gas. last year called thme out to attend a radiator that always needed bleeding. The engineer said in less than 60 seconds that I needed a power flush. Asked BG for 2nd opinion. naother engineer said the same plus if I don't have it my system will rot from inside out. Had it doe cost of £400!! still radiator needed bleeding. Another engineer called aout and fitted a valve near to pump no cost as it was covered under my service contract. I have complained to BG about the power flush as I feel it was unecessary. I ave anewish house (1999) and have since found out that to have a power flush in anew property is unusual. I have complained to BG they have written back saying they are investiagting and will contact me in 10 days. That was up a wek ago. Is this covered by any ombudsman? How do I go about proving that I didn't need a power flush?
    Thanks.
Page 7
    • ollski
    • By ollski 4th Jul 14, 9:15 AM
    • 925 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    ollski
    Alot of people think there is some sort of amazing commission scheme for bg engineers, there really isn't. When I worked there I would say the average for me and most other guys I spoke to was about 1% of salary. They aren't measured on it or forced to sell and very few engineers care in the slightest about it. They do have a legal obligation to advise of efficiency improvements to be made to a system however.

I have to wonder why the system was flushed by the independent engineer in annie42's post if it was not needed, I presume his diagnosis was the same before he started? as it appears he was the only one to charge for work not required. Bgs flush charge includes a contract lifetime guarantee so could include several flushes and if you're doubtful I would ask to see a water sample in a special tube which measures the particles in the sample.
    • fyreshaman
    • By fyreshaman 4th Jul 14, 9:33 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    fyreshaman
    So, BG fitted my new boiler 12 years ago, fully flushed the system and we've had their maintenance contract ever since. If the last engineer who visited thinks there is a problem, is it worth asking them to flush it for free?
    • ollski
    • By ollski 4th Jul 14, 9:39 AM
    • 925 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    ollski
    If your original quote says you paid for a powerflush rather than a cleanse or any other lesser clean then you should be fine. Ring the office and they will be able to check and confirm.
    • fyreshaman
    • By fyreshaman 7th Jul 14, 7:03 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    fyreshaman
    Thanks ollski

A free 'reflush' is now booked.
  • jamesgordon
    another BG Powerflush recommendation
    Hello all,

Much the same as many on this thread, I have just started a contract with BG, and when the engineer visited for the first service, he informed me that my system needed powerflushing. New Valliance Ecotec 835 Boiler fitted 4 years ago, and the system was flushed at the time (not sure if it was a powerflush as it was previous owner).

I had all the rads replaced around 3 years ago, and although I know that inhibitor was added, when the BG engineer took his sample, it was indeed dirty even though the system does have a brass sludge filter (not magnawhotsit).

my question is this - would a system really need a powerflush after such a short amount of time ?, I have no problems at all with rads not heating up. would a chemical flush be more suitable ?.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 10th Dec 14, 12:11 PM
    • 26,819 Posts
    • 12,996 Thanks
    Cardew
    Hello all,

Much the same as many on this thread, I have just started a contract with BG, and when the engineer visited for the first service, he informed me that my system needed powerflushing. New Valliance Ecotec 835 Boiler fitted 4 years ago, and the system was flushed at the time (not sure if it was a powerflush as it was previous owner).

I had all the rads replaced around 3 years ago, and although I know that inhibitor was added, when the BG engineer took his sample, it was indeed dirty even though the system does have a brass sludge filter (not magnawhotsit).

my question is this - would a system really need a powerflush after such a short amount of time ?, I have no problems at all with rads not heating up. would a chemical flush be more suitable ?.
    Originally posted by jamesgordon

Welcome to the forum.

Nobody can say with any certainty if it does need a powerflush or not.

However IMO it would seem highly unlikely, and there is much conjecture that it is the 'standard' way of raising some revenue for BG.

Do all the radiators get hot?
  • Albert Mendes
    I have a Worcester Greenstar 24i junior boiler installed 2008. Recently I was not getting hot water.It was intermittent very hot and going down to be cold. I had the British Gas engineer and he told me that the plates were blocked with sludge and I must get the radiators power sludged. I live in a flat and have 8 radiators. He quoted me £719 to do the job. I am wondering if it is the going rate? and what guarantie is their that the blockage will not return? I have read other peoples comment that the British gas engineers are on bonuses and they could just get the job regardless if it is done to the code of practice. Pleas could you confirm and let me know if I have been quoted the right price for the job as mentioned. Thanking you Mr A Mendes
    • JeffVader
    • By JeffVader 7th Oct 15, 8:41 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JeffVader
    My boiler was installed in 1997 and is serviced every year.

I took out a homecare contract with British Gas around 10 months ago.

Over the last few weeks we've had an issue with hot water not coming through every time, heating is fine.

British Gas have come out and have advised the hot water issue is due to the boiler needing a flush and the cost including fitting a filter is over £400.

They claim there is dirt, metal and sediment in the boiler and that is stopping the water from working. Again the heating is fine.

If there was all this muck, won't we see it when we fill the kettle / sink / bath ?

They are now saying they won't cover the water side of the system until this is done.. but how does a system and radiator flush solve the hot water problem ?

Is this a scam ?

Thanks
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 7th Oct 15, 8:56 AM
    • 26,819 Posts
    • 12,996 Thanks
    Cardew
    They claim there is dirt, metal and sediment in the boiler and that is stopping the water from working. Again the heating is fine.

If there was all this muck, won't we see it when we fill the kettle / sink / bath ?

They are now saying they won't cover the water side of the system until this is done.. but how does a system and radiator flush solve the hot water problem ?

Is this a scam ?

Thanks
    Originally posted by JeffVader

The water heated by the boiler doesn't emerge from your taps! It indirectly heats by the water from the boiler passing through the HW tank.(same principle on a combi)

I am surprised they let you take out a Homecare agreement 10 months ago on a 17 year old boiler.

Scam? who knows? but it is a sure fire way of them getting some additional money.
    • macman
    • By macman 7th Oct 15, 9:17 AM
    • 41,290 Posts
    • 16,954 Thanks
    macman
    It may well need a flush after 17 years, but their diagnosis is ludicrous. As Cardew points out, the CH and DHW are on completely separate circuits.
    If the boiler is a combi |(which you didn't specify), then the lack of hot water while the CH is OK is most likely a diverter valve issue. If a heat only boiler, then it could be a sticking 3 port valve. Either way, forget BG, cancel the cover and get in an independent local RGI who has a clue about fault diagnosis.
    As you can see from this thread, BG say 'power flush' as easily as the man from Del Monte say 'yes'!
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Combi
    • By Combi 26th Sep 16, 5:30 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Combi
    Power flush rip off.
    I have a British Gas policy to cover Central Heating ,Plumbing ,Electrics and Drains.I pay over £400.00 per year
    Over the past 3 years every time British Gas were called for a heating problem the engineer said that a power flush was needed as sludge was causing the problem.In February this year after a call out the engineer said that unless a system flush was carried out British Gas would charge for the work if sludge was the problem.
    I had a chemical flush done by a heating engineer that I know to be very experienced and trust worthy. I was assured that the work was carried out correctly and the system was sludge free .I e mailed the invoice for the flush to British Gas to show the work had been done.Last week British Gas was called to resolve a boiler problem and a thermister was mentioned as the fault.
    The Engineer said that he checked the system and the pipe work from the boiler to the tank in the loft was blocked and not correctly installed.He said thick sludge was the problem and he showed a photo of what he said was sludge from the pump.It looked like soil from a garden and the amount in my opinion would not fit inside the pump.He said that any more work would be chargeable.I contacted British Gas in February and asked for the fitter to call me but he never called .Last week I again asked for the fitter to call,I was given a reference number but he has not called.I had the heating engineer who did the chemical flush spend 3 hours checking the system this morning and he said the there is no issue with the pipework being faulty or blocked , the system is working correctly and there is no sign of sludge in the system.He also replaced the thermister that was fitted last Monday as it was not a new part ,it had been used elsewhere. I have since spoken to an engineer who no longer works for British Gas because he said that he is a heating engineer ,not a salesman.!!.
    • skidr0w
    • By skidr0w 7th Sep 17, 2:40 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    skidr0w
    New Contract
    I had a 17 year old boiler covered under homecare which had many parts replaced over the years. Never had a mention of a powerflush just the usual "your boiler is on the reduced parts list" do you want a quote for a new boiler?. No! it was efficient, safe, serviced and working. Eventually I asked the engineer at one visit to show me what parts are no longer covered as they do not have them in stock and he then told me that they actually do. It's all scaremongering and sales pitch. That was my experience with our 17 year old boiler - id imagine this will vary by manufacturer.

So we move down the street to a house with a 6 year old boiler, resign up to Homecare and before looking at the boiler we got the "you need a powerflush" and "your boiler is not a good make". So the engineer starts a service and cannot figure out why we still have hot water after he turns the boiler off and it turns out he thought it was a combi!. He then says it's a newer boiler with the wrong casing. But you still need a powerflush and you will not be covered if you have a boiler fault. £680. You have cold spots at the bottom of your radiators. No I dont!

So I phone BG and ask why they have not cancelled contract if I am no longer covered for repairs. They send out a second engineer for an opinion and they he says if you have a boiler fault as a new customer you will be covered for the repair however if it is the fault of sludge then you will not be covered for further repairs until you get a powerflush.

So I will wait until first repair, listen to the advice, and cancel the contract. What a bunch of chancers.

And yes, if you have read through the previous posts BG will cover a 17 year old boiler. Prior to moving house I got my 17 year old boiler serviced for the new occupants and I asked if BG will allow a homecare contract on it and the engineer said yes they will. Engineer also said that they have 30 year old boilers on their books. That's what they said.

I amy need a powerflush, there may be history with the previous owners/repairs but they cannot tell me this information.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,416Posts Today

6,125Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin