Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > I wanna buy-it or do-it > WHO ARE Shop Direct Finance Company Ltd !!!! (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
WHO ARE Shop Direct Finance Company Ltd !!!!
Views: 74,897
# 1
WOW Factor 0
helsbels1982
Old 10-03-2009, 5:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Question WHO ARE Shop Direct Finance Company Ltd !!!!

hi

sorry if this is in the wrong thread but wasnt sure were to post it (please move if wrong place)

anyway

the problem i have is i have just looked at my credit report and i have found out that a company called Shop Direct Finance Company Ltd has done a search on both my last 2 home address's on the 16th june 2008. i hav enot got a clue who it is and imoved out of the two address's they searched - 1 in oct 2004 and the other sep 2007. they did not do a search at my current address which i have been in since sep 2007. i dont know who they are and why they were doing a credit check on me.

has anybody got any idea who Shop Direct Finance Company Ltd are?

thanx
hels
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
dacouch
Old 10-03-2009, 5:44 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Seem to provide insurance and finance for a few different companies

http://consumer-info.co.uk/ProductPa...ttlewoods.aspx

The following link has an email address

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...eded-shop.html
# 3
Thomas Crown
Old 11-03-2009, 2:08 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by helsbels1982 View Post

The Shop Direct Group owned by the multi-billionaire Barclay Brothers includes:- Littlewoods, G.U.S., Empire Stores/La Redoubte, Homebase & Argos. Littlewoods runs the in-house credit/finance company in Bootle.

Have you purchased any goods (incl. catalogue purchases) from any of these companies?
The Following User Says Thank You to Thomas Crown For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
emeraldbugle
Old 14-05-2010, 9:09 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

They have also done two searches on me in the last two weeks. I created an account with Very to be paid by credit card, but then I have never actually completed the purchase.

Why would they search my file?
# 5
jimbms
Old 14-05-2010, 1:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This company buy lists from other mail order stores such as next of good and frequent payers, they then credit chech the desirable ones so they can target offers from mail order companies and be able to give an instant credit limit should you take up the offer, example the other week I got phoned by Kay's who offered me an instant 3000 limit and 25% off first order if I ordered online within 24hrs. needless to say we ordered a TV we was after and a bloody good camera then paid it off 14 days later hehehe.
Approach her; adore her. Behold her; worship her. Caress her; indulge her. Kiss her; pleasure her. Kneel to her; lavish her. Assert to her; let her guide you. Obey her as you know how; Surrender is so wonderful! For Caroline my Goddess.
# 6
YellowShark
Old 16-12-2011, 2:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have had a couple of fraudulent attempts, using my name and address, to buy goods online or through mail order in the last couple of months. A letter from Shop Direct Finance Company alerted me to an attempt to buy goods using my address and a false name, presumably from one of the retailers named in the posts above - they tried to do a credit check on the false name at my address which came up blank so credit was refused. At least they're checking, not just throwing money at anyone and everyone.

YS.
The Following User Says Thank You to YellowShark For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
cadgaboo
Old 08-09-2012, 5:08 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default baffled!

I have received a letter today from MKDP LLP who it states have taken over from a company called shop direct Finance company, who I have never heard of! saying that as of 4th Oct 2010 I have an outstanding balance of 5.
Anyone got any suggestions as to what I do? like I said I haven't a clue who these people are let alone bought anything!
# 8
mikes9512
Old 11-09-2012, 11:03 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Don't pay anything. these companies use small numbers so you would more than likely just pay it. they send it out to millions of people, the best thing you can do is to ask them for all the details of the outstanding bill AND a copy of the original agreement you signed showing you owe this money, if its a con then they will more than likely leave you alone. Hope this helps you. Mike
# 9
LadyDee
Old 11-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes9512 View Post
Don't pay anything. these companies use small numbers so you would more than likely just pay it. they send it out to millions of people, the best thing you can do is to ask them for all the details of the outstanding bill AND a copy of the original agreement you signed showing you owe this money, if its a con then they will more than likely leave you alone. Hope this helps you. Mike
Best thing to do is totally ignore the letter - they're fishing. If you do contact them they'll know they've got a matching name and address and will continue to harrass you.
# 10
kerry87
Old 11-09-2012, 1:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by helsbels1982 View Post
hi

sorry if this is in the wrong thread but wasnt sure were to post it (please move if wrong place)

anyway

the problem i have is i have just looked at my credit report and i have found out that a company called Shop Direct Finance Company Ltd has done a search on both my last 2 home address's on the 16th june 2008. i hav enot got a clue who it is and imoved out of the two address's they searched - 1 in oct 2004 and the other sep 2007. they did not do a search at my current address which i have been in since sep 2007. i dont know who they are and why they were doing a credit check on me.

thanx
hels

Shop Finance Direct are Littlewoods catalogue
The Following User Says Thank You to kerry87 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
MLFroglands95
Old 01-11-2012, 2:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry Shop direct fianance company ltd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes9512 View Post
I too have had trouble with this company, I ran Empire for many years and they were fine, then it changed/merged to KandCo, since then nothing but problems, I chose not to purchase anything else and my customer rang and asked their final account amount which he was informed, I then got an email saying the same. They then sent a statement saying they wanted more and it was their fault, then another statement came asking for even more. I had cancelled the direct debit and already spoken with FSA and they made notes of this as I also told them that since Empire had ceased I have had no commission, which I calculate of over 200, but wanted to sort the account first. I took instructions from FSA stating write to them and give them a time limit which I have. They have come back within that time stating they will have a final response by 21.11.2012, but either way I paid the account and I still owed my commission. FSA say as long as you give them a reasonable time to respond they must respond and as this forum states, I did ask for full account details as to why they requested further funds and information regardng my commision. As per FSA instructions, I will allow them to provide information until 21.11.2012, but will also contact FSA so they have this information on record. But as the forum says, DO NOT PAY ANYTHING, I too think this company was taken over and they are committing fraudulant acts, but my best advice is to contact FSA so they have this information on record.

Last edited by MLFroglands95; 01-11-2012 at 2:16 PM. Reason: spelling
# 12
joyou776
Old 13-12-2012, 1:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have received correspondance on Littlewoods letter headed paper today thanking me for choosing to protect my account with Shopping Insurance (offered by Shop Direct Finance Company Ltd). I do not have, and have never had, an account with Littlewoods although an account number is quoted on the letter. There is an 0844 telephone number to call with any queries which I am loath to use as I do not trust it. I will call Littlewoods direct and query the letter. Anyone else experienced this or similar? Looks like a scam to me which I think should be reported.
# 13
Taf56
Old 14-12-2012, 11:57 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have recieved a letter from a company called "Very" this morning. It also identifies itself as coming from "Shop Direct Finance Company Limited".

It thanks me for my application, but then says that automatic credit scoring has denied my request for credit.

I do not know either of these companies, have not applied for credit from anyone in over 25 years, have not bought anything from a catalogue ever, but I am now worried that their "automatic credit check" might affect any future credit score I may one day need.

What to do?

Last edited by Taf56; 14-12-2012 at 3:16 PM.
# 14
dali21
Old 17-12-2012, 3:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I received the same letter today from K&Co part of (Great Universal) that I have been denied credit. I checked my credit report on Noddle.co.uk but there is no record of any searches by this or any similar sounding company.
I think this is some kind of scam. I am reluctant to contact them as I think they will want a huge amount of personal information from me.
# 15
rjg202
Old 26-12-2012, 9:44 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I received exactly the same letter as Taf56, but at an old address that I haven't had correspondence with for a few years. No previous involvement with these companies before either.

The letter just doesn't seem genuine to me, so I'm going to ignore it. Also the FAQ on the back looks as if it's been photocopied, and in landscape instead of portrait.

Last edited by rjg202; 26-12-2012 at 9:51 AM.
# 16
bertram
Old 29-12-2012, 9:54 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I received a letter today asking me to contact a free phone no. as it would appear someone was using my name trying to open an account to obtain credit.
The letter was headed Very listing their website address and the reply address of Shop Direct Finance.
Having looked at previous letters to you it would appear that this could be a very nice ploy to obtain a persons details to pass on for commercial gain. As I have not asked for credit from this firm I am ignoring the letter but why if a company has doubt about the authenticity of the applicant does it not make more in depth enquiries. For instance send a copy of the application to the address of the applicant by registered post and if not verified in say 7 days it is not accepted.
# 17
jim992
Old 12-01-2013, 1:31 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Similar letter today from Shop Direct Finance but headed "isme". I have apparently used the collect plus delivery option to receive my goods i.e. pick up from a local store instead of taking delivery to my home address. This letter is from the Investigations Manager so I guess they are used to people trying to get credit and goods by impersonating others. Checked my bank/credit card accoiunts and all ok but expect there will be a bill through the post soon.
# 18
wary
Old 17-02-2013, 4:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim992 View Post
Similar letter today from Shop Direct Finance but headed "isme". I have apparently used the collect plus delivery option to receive my goods i.e. pick up from a local store instead of taking delivery to my home address. This letter is from the Investigations Manager so I guess they are used to people trying to get credit and goods by impersonating others. Checked my bank/credit card accoiunts and all ok but expect there will be a bill through the post soon.
Is anyone able to shed any further light on this?

Just received a similar letter myself but am not sure whether the fraud/scam is that someone has set up an account and placed an order in my name, or whether this is a fake phishing letter

It is also purportedly from Shop Direct Finance, bearing the VERY logo and signed Linda Swift (Investigations Manager). It states that I've made an order to be delivered to a Collect+ store, and hence the letter is a security check.

The number (0844 822 2311) does not come up on any searches, either as genuine or as a scam. I have noticed that it differs by one digit to the number on the VERY website though.

I don't think it is a coincidence that my wife recently set up a VERY account and made an order (which she later returned, possibly via Connect+). (Her account number is different to the one quoted in the letter.)

I've e-mailed VERY rather than one an 0844 number. Will update this thread when I get a reply.
# 19
wary
Old 20-02-2013, 8:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

An update on this ... the letter is genuine and someone has fraudulently opened an account in my name.

Account has been closed but it is a concern what else they may set up in my name and whether my credit score could be impacted. Hence I decided to request a 2 credit report from Equifax, only to find that they're also a bunch of shysters, out to screw you of your money ... but that's another story.
# 20
linedancer111
Old 23-02-2013, 10:00 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to linedancer111
Default Very

I to had a small bill from "Very" (4:95) last year. Someone had opened an account in my name, also it stated the notebook would be charged next month,
Notepad was delivered to next door saying I was out, but someone different later went to next door saying, I didn't want it left with them, picked it up & legged it.
First I heard of this was when I returned later !!
So the courier driver must have been in on this as well?