Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wendym
    • By wendym 5th Mar 09, 11:24 AM
    • 2,897Posts
    • 3,705Thanks
    wendym
    What happens to uncollected mail?
    • 5th Mar 09, 11:24 AM
    What happens to uncollected mail? 5th Mar 09 at 11:24 AM
    I'm sure I ought to know, but I don't.

I have had another 'we are holding an item that has insufficient postage' card, and am inclined not to pay £1.06 yet again for unwanted post. I have checked with anyone I know who may have been careless. Will it be returned to sender (if the sender is identified on the envelope), or binned at the Sorting Office?

Thanks
Page 1
    • frivolous_fay
    • By frivolous_fay 5th Mar 09, 11:31 AM
    • 13,056 Posts
    • 6,219 Thanks
    frivolous_fay
    • 5th Mar 09, 11:31 AM
    • 5th Mar 09, 11:31 AM
    It will be returned, assuming there is a return address.
    In the past I've rung the office and asked them what kind of item it is so that I can decide if I want to pay for it. I didn't bother collecting the unpaid 'renew your subscription' letter from a magazine I had cancelled my subscription for!

As an aside, it irritates me when posties don't bother ticking the bit where it shows if it's a letter, packet, etc, because that gives you a much better idea of what the item is. Also, when they don't fill in the name the item is addressed to, everyone in my office argues about who's going to drive to the office to collect it!
    My TV is broken!
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act!
    • wendym
    • By wendym 5th Mar 09, 11:37 AM
    • 2,897 Posts
    • 3,705 Thanks
    wendym
    • 5th Mar 09, 11:37 AM
    • 5th Mar 09, 11:37 AM
    Thanks fay. Unfortunately my office never picks up the phone (they don't even officially admit that they have a phone no other than the national one) and in the past when I've driven to the office it's not been possible to find out what it is without paying upfront.
    • frivolous_fay
    • By frivolous_fay 5th Mar 09, 12:24 PM
    • 13,056 Posts
    • 6,219 Thanks
    frivolous_fay
    • 5th Mar 09, 12:24 PM
    • 5th Mar 09, 12:24 PM
    Personally I'd ring and say 'Postie has forgotten to tick the card to say whether the item is a packet, parcel, etc, could you kindly have a look and let me know?'
    My TV is broken!
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act!
  • mazza111
    • 5th Mar 09, 12:41 PM
    • 5th Mar 09, 12:41 PM
    Wendy they get returned to sender. If there is no return address they get sent to Belfast which is the only place who is allowed to deal with this. You can usually work out what the item is by the price. 6p is a large letter that only has a small stamp on it (iirc) + £1 handling fee etc etc etc. Don't give up on ringing the phone, let it ring if you must. Remember in these places there is normally 1 member of staff, to deal with customers who have turned up to collect things and answer the phone, when I get this delightful task at work, i tend to deal with the customers who are there in person rather than the phone.
    • wendym
    • By wendym 5th Mar 09, 2:11 PM
    • 2,897 Posts
    • 3,705 Thanks
    wendym
    • 5th Mar 09, 2:11 PM
    • 5th Mar 09, 2:11 PM
    I wish I didn't live in this parallel universe! I can remember when the phone was answered years ago, and have a selection of numbers, but both my regular postie and the nicest van delivery postie have told me that I'm not going mad - the phone is just never answered in my sorting office.

And they won't let me see the offending item without paying upfront.
  • mazza111
    • 5th Mar 09, 3:47 PM
    • 5th Mar 09, 3:47 PM
    Then ignore it. They will return it to sender. If it's important I'm sure the sender will resend with the correct postage. You haven't got a birthday or anniversary coming up? These are the most common culprits for undersized stamps.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 5th Mar 09, 3:59 PM
    • 32,767 Posts
    • 27,496 Thanks
    custardy
    • 5th Mar 09, 3:59 PM
    • 5th Mar 09, 3:59 PM
    I wish I didn't live in this parallel universe! I can remember when the phone was answered years ago, and have a selection of numbers, but both my regular postie and the nicest van delivery postie have told me that I'm not going mad - the phone is just never answered in my sorting office.

And they won't let me see the offending item without paying upfront.
    Originally posted by wendym
    well if its like my office the indoor staffing levels have been cut by 50%
    trying to deal with collections,charges,redeliveries and everything else for four postcode areas and trying to answer the phone on your own just doesnt happen
    get used to it.some offices have been left alone but they are getting worked through.my own office is being ripped apart again for 'savings'
    Last edited by custardy; 05-03-2009 at 4:02 PM.
    • wendym
    • By wendym 5th Mar 09, 4:48 PM
    • 2,897 Posts
    • 3,705 Thanks
    wendym
    • 5th Mar 09, 4:48 PM
    • 5th Mar 09, 4:48 PM
    well if its like my office the indoor staffing levels have been cut by 50%
    trying to deal with collections,charges,redeliveries and everything else for four postcode areas and trying to answer the phone on your own just doesnt happen
    get used to it.some offices have been left alone but they are getting worked through.my own office is being ripped apart again for 'savings'
    Originally posted by custardy
    Yes I have got used to it. It's a good 2 years, possibly 3, since they answered the phone in my sorting office.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 5th Mar 09, 4:59 PM
    • 32,767 Posts
    • 27,496 Thanks
    custardy
    but then again i have people coming in saying we never answer the phone
    the fact is we do,however given its one person answering a few phonecalls in a day its a drop in the ocean
  • mazza111
    I must admit our manager is pretty good, he logs into the phone that's ringing and takes the call, takes a good message, and telephone number for call back, then puts one of us dog's bodies onto it.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 5th Mar 09, 7:58 PM
    • 32,767 Posts
    • 27,496 Thanks
    custardy
    I must admit our manager is pretty good, he logs into the phone that's ringing and takes the call, takes a good message, and telephone number for call back, then puts one of us dog's bodies onto it.
    Originally posted by mazza111
    you sound like a small office
    try 7 managers
    1 office manager
    1 assistant
    1 pegasus worker
    at least 7 phone lines plus the callers line
    an office split in 2 meaning the PHG locker is at one end and the callers office at the other
    1 door monkey
    we get around 14-18 pages of redeliveries a day just from the online redelivery service.that one door monkey has to do that
    Last edited by custardy; 05-03-2009 at 8:02 PM.
  • mazza111
    We are fairly small, ML area, but because we're small we also do the streamline for the whole area, which takes up more time. Our manager is also a great believer in not leaving customers waiting and his office is right next door to callers office, so if he sees a queue he jumps in and helps, or hollers for one of us to help if he's too busy. We also have an injured soldier in our callers office atm, who doesn't mind queues, she would like to sit on her rear all day and answer the phone, so i guess that helps, if only she would remember to take them off hold when she puts them on it :confused:

We have 2 managers, one D.O. manager and one assistant, although the assistant is on loan to other offices more than he's in our office, probably in our office once a week to let the boss have a day off.And quite a few who THINK they are managers! Always the same, too many chiefs and not enough indians. We're also trying to keep Pegasus out as long as possible our manager is rethinking all the routes to stop them needing to come in. Have pegasus mucked anything up yet with you guys? One of the larger offices that we streamline for had them in and some of the posties were out til 6pm on some routes
    • custardy
    • By custardy 6th Mar 09, 8:40 AM
    • 32,767 Posts
    • 27,496 Thanks
    custardy
    well we are a bit complex
    we are about to go through a massive set of changes
    part of the issue is we cover four postcodes going from massive industrial businesses right through to middle of nowhere rurals
    everythings been done on paper with no pinput from the posties so i'm just letting them get on with it
    • CBo
    • By CBo 6th Mar 09, 10:43 AM
    • 470 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    CBo
    Pegasus - Some sort of postie walking sorting software system? I wonder how much that will save Royal mail on time costs
    • custardy
    • By custardy 6th Mar 09, 11:59 AM
    • 32,767 Posts
    • 27,496 Thanks
    custardy
    pegasus has existed in a few guises for well over a decade
    its results are questionable and its implementation more so
    eg my duty was pegasus times at 3 hours 25 minutes
    so 5 minutes short of the required 3 hours 30 minutes walk
    so the walk has been redesigned and 175 delivery points added
    175 calls in 5 minutes is interesting maths
    Last edited by custardy; 06-03-2009 at 12:04 PM.
  • mazza111
    custardly, is pegasus giving this time or are u like others moving to 4hrs 15 delivery times, i know that's what they are trying to bring in to our office. Full timers are all going nuts about it, part timers are gaining 4 hrs out of it. I'm in 2 minds in all honesty. I've seen the mess that it's made in one of our offices, and tbh i'm not impressed.

CBo , It will save time on sorting, that's the theory anyhoo, 20 mins per walk, or that's what they are saying atm, But we'll see.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 6th Mar 09, 3:30 PM
    • 32,767 Posts
    • 27,496 Thanks
    custardy
    3.30 is our our delivery time,this is the time we are working to
    so my walk is now 3.30 by their reckoning
  • mazza111
    Union has called a meeting for next week with regards to the 4hr 15 min duties, was supposed to be today but got postponed. They are now doing it when I am on holiday, am not going to give up my holiday to go to this meeting, will just need to let others know my views and hopefully they will raise the same issues.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,937Posts Today

6,555Users online

Martin's Twitter