Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • freeasabird
    • By freeasabird 27th Feb 09, 3:53 PM
    • 185Posts
    • 58Thanks
    freeasabird
    Is it too late to put money in my ISA
    • 27th Feb 09, 3:53 PM
    Is it too late to put money in my ISA 27th Feb 09 at 3:53 PM
    I haven't put any money into my Barclays Tax Beater ISA for the 08/09 year because I lost the will to live when they took forever to sort out getting a payment into the right tax year. I don't want to lose out on putting in money for 08/09 but is it took late to start a new one for this year? Or shall I just try again to put in money into my Barclays ISA for 08/09 and then start a new one with a different company for the 09/10 year later on.

I'm a bit confused because I know you can only have one ISA a year. Help me please!
Page 1
    • 27th Feb 09, 4:11 PM
    • 27th Feb 09, 4:11 PM
    Put it into the barclays and then look for an ISA which accepts transfers in the new tax year

You can have as many ISA's as you want in a year but can only put in £3600 (not sure if only can put into one or can put some in one and some in another)
  • Stavros
    • 27th Feb 09, 4:14 PM
    • 27th Feb 09, 4:14 PM
    Don't lose out on the tax free status, just bang in £3,600, then look for a new provider for 09/10
    Liquidity is when you look at your investment portfolio and **** your pants
    • SmileyG
    • By SmileyG 27th Feb 09, 4:17 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 957 Thanks
    SmileyG
    • 27th Feb 09, 4:17 PM
    • 27th Feb 09, 4:17 PM
    Put it into the barclays and then look for an ISA which accepts transfers in the new tax year

You can have as many ISA's as you want in a year but can only put in £3600 (not sure if only can put into one or can put some in one and some in another)
    Originally posted by 456789
    Second line is incorrect.

You can only deposit money with one cash ISA provider in any one tax year, although it does not have to be the provider that you may have used the previous year.

SmileyG

To be
    Target acheived: Mortgage offset in June 2012!
    Mortgage = -£5,075
    Endowment = £0
    Investments = £23,013
    Deficit / Surplus = £17,937(at 11/08/2014)
    "Don't spend then save, save then spend!"
    • freeasabird
    • By freeasabird 27th Feb 09, 4:31 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    freeasabird
    • 27th Feb 09, 4:31 PM
    • 27th Feb 09, 4:31 PM
    Thanks everyone. Looks like I'd better get to Barclays pronto so that I can try to put in my 08/09 money.
    • JoeCrystal
    • By JoeCrystal 27th Feb 09, 4:35 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    JoeCrystal
    • 27th Feb 09, 4:35 PM
    • 27th Feb 09, 4:35 PM
    :confused: Hang on, to make it crystal clear. (oh the pun)

If this tax year, I paid in £3600 with Lloyds TSB Cash ISA but I can put in new £3600 with someone else in new tax year?

Q. How many ISAs can I have?
    A. There are limits on the number of ISA accounts you can subscribe to each tax year. You can only put money into one cash ISA and one stocks and shares ISA - one each for cash and stocks and shares.

But in different years, you could choose to save with different managers. There are no limits on the number of different ISAs you can hold over time.
    I am reading this right? But what if in third year, you got good cash ISA that accept in transfers but can you transfer from ISA in first year and ISA in second year to ISA in third year at same time?
    • dasherman
    • By dasherman 27th Feb 09, 4:50 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    dasherman
    • 27th Feb 09, 4:50 PM
    • 27th Feb 09, 4:50 PM
    :confused:
    I am reading this right? But what if in third year, you got good cash ISA that accept in transfers but can you transfer from ISA in first year and ISA in second year to ISA in third year at same time?
    Originally posted by JoeCrystal
    Transfers don't count towards your yearly limits.
    Every little bit counts.
  • malik999
    • 27th Feb 09, 5:41 PM
    • 27th Feb 09, 5:41 PM
    :confused: Hang on, to make it crystal clear. (oh the pun)

If this tax year, I paid in £3600 with Lloyds TSB Cash ISA but I can put in new £3600 with someone else in new tax year?

Originally posted by JoeCrystal
    Yes.
    So if you had used your maximum £3600 each time....In yr 3 if you open your ISA which allows transfers in you can either leave your previous yr1 and yr2 where they are or you can transfer them into where you have your yr 3 isa. So instead of having 3 x £3600 isa's you in effect have 1 x £10,800 isa ( + all your interest on top)

hth
    Last edited by malik999; 27-02-2009 at 5:44 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,512Posts Today

6,962Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • British Gas 5% gas only price cut's paltry, like the rest, typically youll still be RIPPED OFF £300/yr. Check now https://t.co/4z6ZQAFv5T RT

• Trust me reading about it isn't as bad as experiencing it https://t.co/c4GAjeuxcU

• Just got into an empty lift at Itv. And quite clearly there's been a very recent very farty previous resident!

• Follow Martin