Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > braising steak in the slow cooker - good recipes?... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
braising steak in the slow cooker - good recipes??
Views: 39,992
# 1
pebbles88
Old 24-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default braising steak in the slow cooker - good recipes??

hello,

does anyone have a recipe for braising steak done in the slow cooker so that the gravy comes out all lovely and syrupy and not like water as it does when i do it! plus my meat always tastes funny, so obviously im not doing something right!!
Please be nice to all moneysavers!
Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
Big big thanks to Niddy, sorely missed from these boards..best cybersupport ever!!
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to pebbles88 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
SunnyGirl
Old 24-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hi Pebbles!

I used to have the same problem then I sorted it (with a little help from my Mum ) I brown the meat off in a very hot dry frying pan then put it in the slow cooker. Then I add 1 or 2 onions, a couple of carrots, parsnip, swede - anything thats around really, a good dash of worcester sauce, enough beef stock to cover it by an inch or just less, a squeeze of tomato puree, a pinch of mixed herbs & salt & pepper. I cook it for about 6 - 8 hours then about an hour before I'm serving I mix some cornflour into it to thicken the gravy up. It's yummy served with mash, yorkshire puds & veg HTH.
The Following User Says Thank You to SunnyGirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
pebbles88
Old 24-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyGirl View Post
Hi Pebbles!

I used to have the same problem then I sorted it (with a little help from my Mum ) I brown the meat off in a very hot dry frying pan then put it in the slow cooker. Then I add 1 or 2 onions, a couple of carrots, parsnip, swede - anything thats around really, a good dash of worcester sauce, enough beef stock to cover it by an inch or just less, a squeeze of tomato puree, a pinch of mixed herbs & salt & pepper. I cook it for about 6 - 8 hours then about an hour before I'm serving I mix some cornflour into it to thicken the gravy up. It's yummy served with mash, yorkshire puds & veg HTH.
Heckey thump, im already!! thanks!!
Please be nice to all moneysavers!
Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
Big big thanks to Niddy, sorely missed from these boards..best cybersupport ever!!
The Following User Says Thank You to pebbles88 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
phizzimum
Old 24-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I put the chunks of meat in a bowl with flour and pepper then fry the meat in a pan until browned nicely. although it might seem time consuming it's better to brown the meat in small batches, rather than chuck the whole lot in at once. would also second the idea of adding tomato puree.

After years of making uninspiring stews and casseroles - my children are finally asking me when we're having beef stew for dinner again - unbelievable!
The Following User Says Thank You to phizzimum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
fav77
Old 24-02-2009, 11:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Mmmm!
Guiness makes a lovely substitute for beef stock - brown beef (in steaks or chunks,coated in flour), chuck in slow cooker with a couple of quartered onions, pour over some original guiness, splash on a bit of worcestershire sauce and leave in slow cooker all day. lovely with mash and veg. Its an old Delia recipe that works really well in slow cooker - the beef just melts!
Hope this helps!
Franki
The Following User Says Thank You to fav77 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Penelope Penguin
Old 25-02-2009, 3:26 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

This thread has recipes for the SC - ideas for using braising steak. I'll merge this thread later.

Penny. x
Life is too short to clean behind the fridge
The Following User Says Thank You to Penelope Penguin For This Useful Post: Show me >>