IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
radiator valves - cost to replace?
Closed Thread
Views: 6,035
# 1
mariachiara
Old 22-02-2009, 10:56 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default radiator valves - cost to replace?

Hi, I need to replace 2 radiator valves: I bought 2 Drayton TRV4 for 18 each online, but don't know what would be a fair price to pay a plumber to fit them for me, bearing in mind I am supplying the valves. Does anyone know please? A plumber has quoted 40 for each, just labour, but it seems to me such a small and quick job...(maybe just an hour's work?). Many thanks. Mac
# 2
Alias_Omega
Old 22-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Post it on myhammer as a job, can be found from google.

Its like ebay for jobs, but people bid down on it.

I would of let the plumber supply the fittings, as if they fail in the future you have a warranty claim.

(Dont forget, when replacing the valves, that means freezing the pipes / draining the system, and putting back as it was.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Alias_Omega For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
ormus
Old 22-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

plumbers are expensive, but you dont really need a plumber for that simple job. a handyman can do it easy. prob half the price of the plumber.
Get some gorm.
The Following User Says Thank You to ormus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Rosebery
Old 22-02-2009, 12:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

But its not just an hours work. He has to get to you in the first place. As already pointed out he has to isolate the radiator and probably make some pipewok alterations as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rosebery For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
sparky883
Old 22-02-2009, 1:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

How much would you like to pay to:

Travel To Your House
Drain the central Heating System
Fit 2 valves
Fill Back Up the central heating system
Bleed the radiators
Get the pressure correct
Check for leaks
Guarantee the work for ??

So whats reasnoble 20,30,40 ??? What do you think??
OH THE JOYS OF BEING SELF-EMPLOYED!! Can Travel,Will Work For Free!
The Following User Says Thank You to sparky883 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
andyhop
Old 22-02-2009, 1:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I would charge 2 hrs, first hour at 50 2nd at 30

80 labour, new inhibitor 15
The Following User Says Thank You to andyhop For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
sparky883
Old 22-02-2009, 1:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Me two spot on "andyhop" 95 so the Op quote is good for 80 -Just goto make OP realise this.
Will never understand how people would have np problem spending 80 on say Meal/Clothes but think it too expensive for a "little easy 1 hr job" my advise would be to "do it Yourself" or "damage it yourself"
The Following User Says Thank You to sparky883 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Alias_Omega
Old 22-02-2009, 3:22 PM

How much could you of supplied 'Drayton TRV4' valves for andyhop & sparky83..

I only worry with supplying own things is that if they fail, i have to pay again to have them replaced. Whilst, fitted and supplied by a tradesman, its less costly and a much faster turn around time..
The Following User Says Thank You to Alias_Omega For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
andyhop
Old 22-02-2009, 6:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias_Omega View Post
How much could you of supplied 'Drayton TRV4' valves for andyhop & sparky83..

I only worry with supplying own things is that if they fail, i have to pay again to have them replaced. Whilst, fitted and supplied by a tradesman, its less costly and a much faster turn around time..
Less than what you paid for them:rolleyes:

For something like that you would pay retail price if i supplied as i would have to get in my van and collect

I prefer the danfoss TRVs myself,and would usually keep stock of these in the van (8+vat for TRV and new Locksheild in white)
The Following User Says Thank You to andyhop For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
mariachiara
Old 23-02-2009, 9:58 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thank you to all who replied.
I can see that there are a lot of plumbers among you.

For the record: as a supply teacher I get paid 20 an hour and I pay tax on that too, no cash in hand (the privilege of some plumbers).
I travel for more than an hour to get to work and I spend all 60 minutes in the hour solidly working, without chat breaks nor coffee/tea breaks. Break time is not paid, I just hang around waiting for the next lesson and wasting my time. I don't get holidays paid, neither sick leave.
Often I go to work fo just 2 hours, earning a staggering total 40 for effectively 4 hours of my time if I include travelling time.
I studied 4 years at university for that and another 2 years of hard work writing a thesis at the end of it.
So what do you think I should charge for my professional work to educate your children: 20, 30, 40 ? What do you think??? What would be fair?

Why should the work of a professional plumber be worth more than mine?
# 11
Canucklehead
Old 23-02-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariachiara View Post
Thank you to all who replied.
I can see that there are a lot of plumbers among you.

For the record: as a supply teacher I get paid 20 an hour and I pay tax on that too, no cash in hand (the privilege of some plumbers).
I travel for more than an hour to get to work and I spend all 60 minutes in the hour solidly working, without chat breaks nor coffee/tea breaks. Break time is not paid, I just hang around waiting for the next lesson and wasting my time. I don't get holidays paid, neither sick leave.
Often I go to work fo just 2 hours, earning a staggering total 40 for effectively 4 hours of my time if I include travelling time.
I studied 4 years at university for that and another 2 years of hard work writing a thesis at the end of it.
So what do you think I should charge for my professional work to educate your children: 20, 30, 40 ? What do you think??? What would be fair?

Good morning: My OH is self employed (plumbing and heating) and I taught secondary school/FE for 15+ years. He spent 5 years completing an apprenticeship plus various other courses over the last 30 years: I've completed 5 years university and additional qualification courses.:confused: Apples and oranges. Should he make more as a plumber/RGI running his own business than I should? The answer is yes. I no longer teach but work with him while working on my Masters part-time.

Have you considered a course with the OU to make use of all that wasted time?

Canucklehead
Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
The Following User Says Thank You to Canucklehead For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
sparky883
Old 23-02-2009, 1:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

"Why should the work of a professional plumber be worth more than mine? "

Because he knows how to change radiator valves and you do not!

Last edited by sparky883; 23-02-2009 at 1:43 PM.
# 13
gasbag1602
Old 23-02-2009, 1:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

When you clime back out from your own backside pick up the yellow pages and find the answers yourself and dont waste our generously provided time to help greatful people!
# 14
roses
Old 23-02-2009, 6:07 PM

Hi, I paid 100 last year to get TRVs fitted on all radiators in my house. It does require the system to be drained and re-filled and it took him a half a day to do 6 radiators. He wasn't Corgi registered, you don't need to be for this job. Like ormus said, a handyman can do the job and probably for much less.
The Following User Says Thank You to roses For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
jimexbox
Old 23-02-2009, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky883 View Post
How much would you like to pay to:

Travel To Your House
Drain the central Heating System
Fit 2 valves
Fill Back Up the central heating system
Bleed the radiators
Get the pressure correct
Check for leaks
Guarantee the work for ??

So whats reasnoble 20,30,40 ??? What do you think??
Ive watched a plumber change a rad valve without draining the system down, took him 5 minutes. He was pretty coy about how, but apparently its a little 'trick' of the trade which involves a small plastic cone in the header tank I believe. They only us it for quick jobs like what the poster needs.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimexbox For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
border collie
Old 23-02-2009, 6:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You can't compare your travel to the travelling a plumber has to do. You only go to school once a day and he could be travelling for half his day.

He has to have it covered somehow.
And obviously there are a lot of plumbers answering it was a plumbing question
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.
# 17
mariachiara
Old 23-02-2009, 8:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Many thanks again for all your replies. At least I get a good picture now of what is involved in doing this job, even if from what I can see there are different opinions as to what is the best way to go about changing the valves (and different costs).

On a personal note I wish some people could be a little more polite and not so aggressive, there is no need for that under the circumstance as no offence was meant by me in any case. After all my initial enquiry was perfectly legitimate (this is a money saving website) and was directed to anyone out there who might have had a radiator valve to replace (not necessarily a plumber). Of course, if I'd wanted to be ripped off I would have surely looked in the Yellow pages (as it has been suggested) and not posted a question here. Anyway, many thanks again. I hope I can solve this soon as one of the radiators is now leaking, valve is broken and held only by a pin, if I remove that I have a flood on my hands! Mac
# 18
Rosebery
Old 23-02-2009, 11:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariachiara View Post
I really don't think you understand the financial mechanics of being self employed. For the record you pay tax on the money you receive AFTER your personal tax allowance has been deducted. Self employed don't have that luxury. Self employed are not allowed to pay themselves a salary. They are taxed on their profits - that's errm everything between turnover and costs.

Quote:
Is it? You are not paying for his time - you are paying for his knowledge, skills and having the correct tools with him to do the job. Would it make you feel better to pay an odd job man 10.00 an hour and for him to take 8 hours to do the job? Thats six additional hours you have to be at home when you could be out taking class and earning your 20 an hour. But hey he's getting a lower hourly rate than you so that's OK. Is it?
# 19
sparky883
Old 24-02-2009, 8:59 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The Valve is leaking now!! So now you need an Emergency Plumber that will be even more expensive,As is leaving it for 3 days when you already had somone to do the work at the right price,
# 20
jimexbox
Old 24-02-2009, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky883 View Post
The Valve is leaking now!! So now you need an Emergency Plumber that will be even more expensive,As is leaving it for 3 days when you already had somone to do the work at the right price,
Why do you need an emergency plumber? Jesus, draining a CH system down does not need a plumber.

If the OP just ties up the ballcock so the header tank can't refill, then drain from the lowest radiator, job done. Then you can replace the valve at your own pace for free! Everyone should have a basic knowledge of how their CH system works in case of a leak. Im sure plumbers wish to make it look hard, which some things are, hence require a professional. Though replacing a valve does not, which I place in the same bracket as replacing a tap....something you should know.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimexbox For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread