Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > How much do Electric ovens cost to run vs Gas ove... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How much do Electric ovens cost to run vs Gas ovens?
Closed Thread
Views: 4,616
# 1
neas
Old 19-02-2009, 4:09 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default How much do Electric ovens cost to run vs Gas ovens?

See above question?

Landlord is replacing old knackered gas oven with a new electric oven... while im happy to have a new one, how much is it gonna cost to run it?

I.e at gas mark 8 how much more does it cost? :P

Thanks!
# 2
Farway
Old 19-02-2009, 4:17 PM

Probably more as electricity per kilowatt is usually dearer than gas for same energy
# 3
KimYeovil
Old 19-02-2009, 4:36 PM

Electricity is more responsive (in ovens) and more or less 100% efficient and the new oven will probably be better insulated and have a more accurate thermostat. Won't be enough to completely wipe out the higher cost per kWh but will do a decent amount to mitigate it somewhat.
# 4
neas
Old 19-02-2009, 4:39 PM

thats what i figured, was just looking for some typical costs.

I.e 20 quid more a year 100 quid more a year etc :P

Yea I also figured, itll be 'green' compared to old shitty thing lol. So shouldnt be too much diff. thanks all.

Just we signed up to new flat and today everything we seemed to do seems to change... oven from gas to electric (granted we get new oven so its great ) and boiler being repaired.. so hes a good landlord just throwing me a few curveballs lol.
# 5
Magentasue
Old 19-02-2009, 4:42 PM

Although ... I used to have an electric oven and it took ages to heat up compared to the gas one I have now. I don't have the oven on for as long as I used to, and as said, gas is less than a third of the price lof electricity.
The Following User Says Thank You to Magentasue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
KimYeovil
Old 19-02-2009, 4:47 PM

The good news is it should be easy enough to practically find out yourself how much your particular oven costs. The bad news is the reason it will be easy is because the meter will go round so much you'll be able to read and differentiate the start and end readings easily!
# 7
1carminestocky
Old 19-02-2009, 4:47 PM

We got a Grande Remoska and use our double leccy-guzzling oven maybe twice a week now as opposed to every day previously. Whilst I completely accept that the 100 it cost is a little excessive to 'save on leccy' it really does use a much smaller amount of leccy to do basically the same job (in fact, my very hard to please, born-sceptic better half wouldn't cook meat in anything else now). It's rated at 650 watts and our cooker is rated at 3kwh (although I accept that the oven is thermostatically controlled so isn't using leccy all the time whereas the Remoska is 'always on, i.e. no thermostat'). Beauty of a Remoska if (like you) you live in rented accomodation is it leaves with you.
# 8
penrhyn
Old 19-02-2009, 5:05 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I've a Remoska Mini, ideal for singles.

You get them from Lakeland Ltd.
Winter is coming

# 9
simongregson
Old 19-02-2009, 5:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I would go for gas. After all, the wasted heat from the gas oven heats your house. Gas is cheaper per KWh.

Also gas ovens have less that could go wrong with them.
# 10
kjsmith7
Old 19-02-2009, 8:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Another way of looking at it (very rough calculations):

1 number on an elec meter ticking around (eg 00001 going to 00002) is the equivalent of 1 kWh and costs very roughly between 15p and 25p (on a one rate meter, depending on tariff, supplier, whether you're on a long term contract that you fixed years ago, whether they have a two tier system, standing charges, etc.).

1 number on a metric/5 dial gas meter ticking around (eg 00001 to 00002) is the equivalent of roughly 11kWh, and costs between 3p and 8p (again depending on supplier, tariff, etc. etc. etc.).

Obviously, gas and elec appliances use energy differently, but gas is usually cheaper than electric.

Hope that helps
# 11
storminbalder
Old 19-02-2009, 9:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsmith7 View Post
costs very roughly between 15p and 25p
You need to change supplier. I pay just under 10p a unit!
# 12
Stompa
Old 19-02-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsmith7 View Post
1 number on a metric/5 dial gas meter ticking around (eg 00001 to 00002) is the equivalent of roughly 11kWh, and costs between 3p and 8p (again depending on supplier, tariff, etc. etc. etc.).
Just to be clear, that's between 3p and 8p per kWh (not per 11kWh).
Stompa
# 13
LeeSouthEast
Old 19-02-2009, 10:13 PM

Unscientific but our electricity cost was 35/mo with an electric oven used almost every day, at least once a day. We also ran a standard household bungalow and everything else it used, including a server running 24/7.

I shouldn't worry about it too much. The cost was negligable compared to our gas, which was through the roof due to crap insulation in the property.
# 14
kjsmith7
Old 19-02-2009, 10:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stompa View Post
Just to be clear, that's between 3p and 8p per kWh (not per 11kWh).
Sorry, I do apologise, that is what I meant to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by storminbalder
You need to change supplier. I pay just under 10p a unit!
I was just wracking my brain for an average. I am on BG Price Guarantee December 2009, so my electricity is 0.8% more expensive, but my gas is around 10% cheaper even after the recent decrease. I'm happy enough.

[My actual prices are (inc VAT) and and with no standing charge:

Gas - first 670kWh per quarter at 7.092p and everything else in that quarter at 2.975p.
Elec - first 125kWh per quarter at 23.821p and everything else in that quarter at 12.647p.

It was pretty much the best deal I could see at the time without being locked in for years. I wish I'd fixed back in 2005!!!]
# 15
Garz
Old 20-02-2009, 9:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by simongregson View Post
I would go for gas. After all, the wasted heat from the gas oven heats your house. Gas is cheaper per KWh.

I think this ideology is daft. Whilst you could look at this positively
Quote:
After all, the wasted heat from the gas oven heats your house.
it also means you dont mind wastage. The latter part is however correct gas is slightly cheaper.

I had a gas oven and it was terrible, very inefficient and when I ripped it out recently was glad (will miss the hob though).

Quote:
Expand on this, what is your reasoning?
# 16
BexTech
Old 20-02-2009, 9:23 PM

Food tastes better cooked in a gas oven.
It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
(OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
# 17
Garz
Old 20-02-2009, 9:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexTech View Post
Food tastes better cooked in a gas oven.
Depends on what food. I like my naan breads cooked in a tandoor oven..
# 18
mike_the_bike
Old 20-02-2009, 11:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Another question...I live on my own and have a fan assisted built in oven which isn't exactly full when I cook for myself...I've noticed these small ovens you can buy with built in grill for around thirty quid....Would I soon recoup the cost of buying one of these by the savings on not using the large oven?
The Early bird may catch the worm ...but its the second mouse that gets all the cheese!
# 19
LeeSouthEast
Old 26-02-2009, 11:18 AM

Not sure you'd recoup any time soon, but they're fun to use and do use less.
# 20
simongregson
Old 26-02-2009, 8:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garz View Post
I think this ideology is daft. Whilst you could look at this positively it also means you dont mind wastage. The latter part is however correct gas is slightly cheaper.

I had a gas oven and it was terrible, very inefficient and when I ripped it out recently was glad (will miss the hob though).

Expand on this, what is your reasoning?
The point is that since gas cookers are flueless, any heat that is not used for cooking will be released into your house. therfore you will use less fuel in your main heating system to maintain the temperature.

In terms of reliability, this is mainly from experinece of both. Electric heating elements seem to have a pretty finite lifespan, gas hobs in particular are just a tap connected to the gas pipe, fairly unlikely to go wrong. The oven is a bit more complicated, but as I said in my practical experience the only thing that has ever gone wrong with our gas cooker is the ignition for the burners went wrong. This was a very old cooker. In contrast when we lived in a rented house with an old electric cooker the thing was constantly breaking. Perhaps newer electric cookers are more reliable.
Closed Thread