Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > moss on driveway..how do i kill it??? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
moss on driveway..how do i kill it???
Views: 51,425
# 1
i-luv-free-stuff
Old 10-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default moss on driveway..how do i kill it???

last year i tried comercial moss killer on driveway but it didnt really do the job now its back in force and along with green algae its making my brick driveway look a mess.
any tips on how to get rid of it?

i was thinking bleach but im not sure?

ta
mmmm free stufffffffff
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
buglawton
Old 10-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Have same problem. Ensure area is well drained and not receiving splashes from drains or overflow pipes. Apply boiling water regularly? Any other ideas I'd like to hear too.
# 3
pickle
Old 10-02-2006, 11:28 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I was about to suggest that. I think it would work. Worth a try anyway.
# 4
comping cat
Old 10-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send a message via MSN to comping cat

Moss can be removed from brick paths by painting it with methylated spirit!!!! May help on your driveway?!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to comping cat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
cha97michelle
Old 10-02-2006, 11:31 AM

There's an old thread on this in the index - it recommends hot vinegar, or jeyes fluid. It's in the gardening tips bit.

I've not tried it yet as i'm waiting until a nice day where it won't rain and wash it off.

hope that helps,
Michelle
The Following User Says Thank You to cha97michelle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
squeaky
Old 10-02-2006, 11:32 AM

Send a message via MSN to squeaky

There are some tips in the link that might help you too:-

Cleaning patios
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
The Following User Says Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Lydia
Old 10-02-2006, 11:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cha97michelle
There's an old thread on this in the index - it recommends hot vinegar, or jeyes fluid. It's in the gardening tips bit.

I've not tried it yet as i'm waiting until a nice day where it won't rain and wash it off.

hope that helps,
Michelle
Michelle, I've looked in the mega index and I cant find a gardening section. Can you tell me where it is? I have always used jayes fluid and it works well but I'd be interested in trying the hot vinegar to see how it compares.
# 8
cha97michelle
Old 10-02-2006, 12:02 PM

Lydia,

I think i have a bit of a memory problem.

The bit i was thinking of was the mega indexed thread - grow your own and gardening section (I can't do links, but it's post 10)

I've just reread it, and there was someone asking if the hot vinegar would work, and it wasn't answered. Also, someone else recommended a kettle of hot boiling water.

I must have got the jeyes fluid tip from another thread as i can't find it now.
It's probably worth trying the hot vinegar at least, as it will be much cheaper than Jeyes fluid - i bought some last weekend at 10 for 1 litre and then saw it in a warehouse flyer for 9.99 plus VAT for 5 litres.

You'll have to let us know if the vinegar works.

Michelle
The Following User Says Thank You to cha97michelle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Lydia
Old 10-02-2006, 12:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks Michelle, I've checked the mega index and still can't find a grow your own bit. It must be me. I just cant get the hang of the index I'll give the vinegar a try and let you know if it works.

Last edited by Lydia; 10-02-2006 at 12:08 PM.
# 10
cha97michelle
Old 10-02-2006, 12:21 PM

Go to indexed collection, mega indexed thread, scroll down the list to post 10 (it tells you the number of the post in the top right hand corner)

The post starts about food.... chickens. It then has a food for free section, and then about half way down, the next section is grow your own and gardening - within this section are subsections about growing herbs, compost heaps, etc, and the last section is about weed killers.

Sorry i can't do a link to it, but i hope this step by step will take you to it.
# 11
squeaky
Old 10-02-2006, 12:22 PM

Send a message via MSN to squeaky

It's listed inside the "Food" section:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...328#post675328

Then look under a heading;-

Grow your own and gardening:
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
The Following User Says Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
heatherw_01
Old 10-02-2006, 12:22 PM

Try sprinkling soda crystals on and leaving it for an hour or so. Rinse with hot water and scrub with a brush.
I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
# 13
Lydia
Old 10-02-2006, 12:29 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thats where I was going wrong, I didnt expect to find the weed killer posts under food. Thanks both of you I got there in the end. I need a lie down now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lydia For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
GreenFingers
Old 10-02-2006, 5:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via AIM to GreenFingers
Smile Moss on patios and driveways....

I always use a dilute mixture on Jeyes Fluid - works wonders... and also use it for sterilising drains and cleaning flower pots and general cleaning jobs outside. They have instructions on the can and its available from garden centres and hardware stores.

I just put a couple of capfuls in the watering can, stir well and sprinkle over the mossy/algae area area on the drive and path then leave it or you wait for an hour then use a stiff broom to scrub it away. You can use it at any time of the year.

Its worth remembering that moss will always grow where conditions for it are good - it will always come back unless these conditions for its survival are removed. So some areas around my place, such as the path which is partly in shade and often damp in winter needs periodic treatment to keep it safe and not slippery.

Hope this helps.
The 2 Coin Savers Club = 346.00 (300.00 transferred to Savings a/c)

"Some days you're a Pigeon...some days you're a Statue"
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenFingers For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
maryb
Old 11-02-2006, 11:26 PM

Armatillox used to be sold as good for removing moss from patios. Then new EU regulations meant they couldn't sell it as a mosskiller. So now it's sold as a 'soap based cleaner' which sounds pathetic. but I'm told it is still the same stuff
The Following User Says Thank You to maryb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Weedcontroller
Old 19-12-2008, 8:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia View Post
Michelle, I've looked in the mega index and I cant find a gardening section. Can you tell me where it is? I have always used jayes fluid and it works well but I'd be interested in trying the hot vinegar to see how it compares.
If you pour Jayes Fluid, or other chemical into the environment as a moss killer, weed killer, or any kind of pest control you are breaking the protection of the environment act 1965.

The best legal option is a cleaning product called 'Country Fresh' available from places like 'Scats' or 'Country Stores'.

Or you could just use a cheap jet-washer, like the ones from 'Argos' for less the 30, and wash it away at no extra cost once a year!
# 17
cjwj
Old 29-02-2012, 10:28 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Good job the rest of us use Jeyes Fluid then!
Tee Hee
cjwj
# 18
Butterfly Brain
Old 29-02-2012, 11:02 AM

Copper repels moss so a solution of copper phosphate will do it
Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - foraging fixers

# 19
Mayflower10cat
Old 29-02-2012, 5:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have a (fake) sandstone coloured patio in a north facing back garden and it gets green so very quickly. I use a mixture of biological washing powder/bleach/soda crystals and boiling water to clean the slabs, and a good stiff brush to scrub. I've always avoided Jeyes fluid as on the tin it says to keep away from pets, especially cats - and I'm not sure exactly how far you'd have to dilute it for it to be safe.