Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Making home made seitan? (veggie food)
    • 11th Feb 09, 11:02 PM
    Making home made seitan? (veggie food) 11th Feb 09 at 11:02 PM
    I bought a pack of fresh seitan today from the health food shop. It's devilishly delish, but at about 2.70 for a smallish steak, it's not very old style. (sorry for the dreadful pun ) ... (have fixed prob with link now)

Just wondering if any of you veggie Old Stylers have ever had a go at making your own. My friends tried to make some once, and they said it came out really strangely spongy, so I'm a bit apprehensive about having a go.

What sort of flour should I use? Is the strong white bread making flour the best? Is it possible to buy Vital Wheat Gluten flour anywhere in London/ the south? (Otherwise will have to pester relatives in America to bring some over next time!) What are the best flavourings to use for the broth?

I'd love to be able to make the chickpea cutlets in the Veganomicon cookbook...

Sorry, so many questions... please throw any tips and encouragement my way! Thanks!
    Last edited by star2007; 12-02-2009 at 9:30 AM. Reason: link seemed to have got mangled
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

191Posts Today

1,092Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The father of the murdered girl on BBC news just now's left me in near tears. The pain coming out of him was visceral. I hope he can recover

• Many asking if we're giving away free Ideal Home Show Xmas tix this year. I can't say.Seperately tho m'weekly email this week's shld be good

• RT @RobbieGibb: Political researchers/producers wanted for BBC Daily Politics freelance pool. Must live & breathe politics

• Follow Martin