Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > Please Help!! Should I Buy An Ise Washing Machine... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Please Help!! Should I Buy An Ise Washing Machine??? Advice Needed!!!
Views: 46,336
# 1
Dane gerous
Old 11-02-2009, 3:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Please Help!! Should I Buy An Ise Washing Machine??? Advice Needed!!!

I moved into my first home 3 years ago. We inherited a scrappy Indesit which is on its last legs. I have been looking for a new washing machine since we moved in but now we are expecting a baby in April so I want to get one some time this week.

At first I wanted a Miele because fropm everything I've read they are the Rolls Royce of washing machines but my uncle (who repairs washing machines) advised me to avoid because they can charge what they like for call outs once warranty has expired.,Then I stumbled accross a brand called ISE. They also come with 5 & 10 year warranty (parts + labour) covered by AXA. More info here:

http://www.iseappliances.co.uk/

The ISE10 is £782.97 which is out of my bracket (like I said I have a baby on the way). For this reason I have opted for the ISE5 at £440.42. I was just about to ring up my local dealer to order one today but then I noticed the ISE10 is much faster washing than the ISE5. For example:

White / Colour wash, 40 degrees: ISE5 = 125mins, ISE10 = 65mins
Synthetic wash, 40 degrees: ISE5 = 105 mins, ISE10 = 65mins
All other programmes are about 15mins faster on the ISE10.

Since we are starting a family the washing machine will be used more and more so wash speed is quite important so it fits in with our lifestyle; We don't have room for a tumble dryer so the earlier the wash is done the earlier we can hang the clothes on clothes maid to dry!

The ISE10 is £340 extra. This is a lot of money for me and my partner believes £440 is expensive for a washing machine so if she found out I bought one for £780 she would kill me. Baby is due in April 09 and our wedding is July 2010 so that is her priority. But I dont want to buy a machine that isn't built to last thus is a waste of money.

Can anyone offer any advice such as...

- Is a standard 40 degrees wash usually ABOUT 125mins on modern AAA washing machines or is this a long wash by the ISE5? My current very old Indesit does this in about 60 mins!!
- Does anyone have an ISE washing machine that can give me any feedback?
- Has anyone managed to negotiate a cheaper ISE machine?
- Are there any other machine out there comparable in price, performance and warranty cover?

Thanks loads in advance.

Dane

For your info:
ISE10 = http://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1769
ISE5 = http://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=118&products_id=469

You can not buy these washing machines from shops you get from your dealer for fixed price. I would have prefered to buy from internet so I could find Vouchers or go through Quidco but this isn't possible as nothing such exists.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
TomsMom
Old 11-02-2009, 3:58 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If you do a search you will find threads about ISE machines and Miele.

My d-i-l has a Miele and managed to get one with a 10 year parts and labour warranty. This works out that for approx £80 per year she is covered for the next ten years. I think that's quite reasonable. If it lasts longer then great, if not it's still reasonable.

My next machine will be either an ISE10 or a Miele if I can get the same 10 year warranty. They will cost roughly the same.

My present machine is quite old so I can't comment on the time it takes for a newer machine to do a 40degree wash but mine takes around the 60 minutes-ish, roughly the same as the ISE10 then.

Quote:
Since we are starting a family the washing machine will be used more and more so wash speed is quite important so it fits in with our lifestyle; We don't have room for a tumble dryer so the earlier the wash is done the earlier we can hang the clothes on clothes maid to dry!
You could do the washing at night so it is ready to come out of the machine first thing in the morning. Do you not have room to stack a tumble dryer on top of the washer, that is what I have done.

Modern cheap machines aren't built to last, and because of the way they are built repairs are expensive. My way of thinking is that a Miele or ISE10 working out at £80 a year is a better bet.
# 3
ormus
Old 11-02-2009, 4:00 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

get a miele from john lewis, with a free 5 yr warranty thrown in.
from about 600 quid.

the 10 yr warrantys ones are about 780 quid.

or buy 4 x indesits instead!
Get some gorm.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ormus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
adandem
Old 11-02-2009, 5:02 PM

My Siemens washer cost £330 with a 5 year warranty so cost per year £66.This is standard wherever you buy from. At the time the Mieles that we could afford had quite a small load capacity.

Same with a Miele, it's 5/10 years from anywhere.
# 5
Dane gerous
Old 12-02-2009, 8:47 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for your responses.

My current washing machine is really noisey so I have never washed at night. This might not be the case with a new machine. I understand machine with brushless motors are quietest such as many Mieles and ISE models. Most come with 24 hour delay timer so I can programme to wash just 2 hours before we wake. I do not have a room to stack a tumble dryer on top of the washer, it's in our kitchen and we have limited space under our worktops.

An ISE10 is out of the question, my partner went hysterical when I mentioned spending £780 on a washing machine so we opted for the ISE5 at £440. I was I was going to order today (our dealer has 1 in stock) but now I am not sure...

I have heard ISE are made by Asko in Sweden who are in turn owned by Antonio Merloni (Ardo) in Italy (who also own Servis) and they have gone into administration and are waiting on a 60 Million Euro bail out from the EU, from what I can see Asko will be offloaded to who we dont know.

This has lead me to decide whether to hold off buying an ISE at the moment. For this reason I don't know whether to go with a Miele (Prestige 6 @ £517 from Kitchen Science with codes or 1613 from Dixons at £507 with codes both with 5 year guarantee). Also money-wise with the Baby and Wedding coming up I may consider £400 for a Bosch.

I cannot find a Siemens washer for £330 with a free 5 year guarantee.

I never realised buying a Washing Machine would be such a difficult decision!!!!
# 6
papalaz
Old 12-02-2009, 9:34 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hiya, ask the guys on www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk as the ISE seems to be their baby.
# 7
Meepster
Old 12-02-2009, 9:49 AM

Personally I would go for a Miele every time. I have very little problems with them, unlike a lot of the other manufacturers. If you can afford one with a 10 year warranty, you'll be quids in.

Incidently, one of my customers has a 24 year old Miele WM and they had the engineer out last week due to a problem with the dial, it cost them £65 to get it sorted, which aint a lot when you think about it.

Their machines are really built to last..
# 8
Fill_7
Old 12-02-2009, 2:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

hi dane gerous,

we bought an ise5 6 months ago from our local dealer. it cost £500 inc delivery, installation and disposal of old machine. probably too soon to say its been a great purchase but to date ive been very impressed with it.
washing results are fantastic, simple and easy to understand controls and its so quiet ya dont even know its on, even when spinning!
most used programme (40 degree colour wash) takes 94 mins. 60 degree white cotton wash takes about 2hrs.
i too was considering getting a chaeper £200/£250 machine, but the 5 year parts and labour guarantee,cheap parts after guarantee period, positive reviews and the build quality of the machine swung me. and its been £500 well spent so far.

hth

fill
# 9
Dane gerous
Old 12-02-2009, 4:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks loads Fill_7,

Great to hear from somebody who has an ISE5 and understands what a budget is. Everybody seems to say buy a Miele or an ISE10 but they dont understand I cant afford one! This has swayed my decision somewhat. Sounds a good machine.

I put a similar post on UKWhitegoods forum and a guy who designed the machine (names kwatt) replied saying a newer version of the ISE5 is coming out some time in March 09 (date tbc). He said he is not at liberty to discuss changes but advised me to hang on so think I will do this.

If anyone else has any advise please let me know.

Thanks
# 10
Sausagecat
Old 12-02-2009, 7:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've been researching a new washing machine over the last few days and have found the website www.reevoo.com very informative. I'm thinking maybe one of the LG machines as they have the drums attached direct to the motors so you don't need a belt etc. - apparently they are quieter and there isn't as much to break. They also assess the clothes load and alter the wash accordingly.

One thing to watch is the depth of the machines. Quite a few of the LG's are 60cm deep and will poke out from under a worktop. I just got myself a new Hotpoint dishwasher and stupidly didn't measure so it sticks out about 3cm. The LG's that are deeper are the 9kg ones and the ones with the "steam".

Incidentally, the dishwasher was purchased from Littlewoods Direct and I used voucher code XX462 to save 10%. They cancelled my order for super quick delivery and installation (an extra £25) and asked me to place it again with a standard £5.99 delivery (within 14 days). The dishwasher came within three days anyway and was really easy to plumb in myself (with 0 plumbing experience).
# 11
AlisonW
Old 19-08-2009, 10:53 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

hi dane gerous,

what washing machine did you get?
Im thinking of getting an ISE and would be very interested to hear form some one who has one.
Thanks,Alison

Edit
Sorry just read thread properly, about the company going into liquidation. Now Im not so sure what to do. Possibly back to plan A, a Bosch.
Alie

Last edited by AlisonW; 19-08-2009 at 10:57 AM.
# 12
bazile
Old 20-08-2009, 7:21 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
"Edit
Sorry just read thread properly, about the company going into liquidation. Now Im not so sure what to do. Possibly back to plan A, a Bosch."

Hi Alison, your wrong ISE have not gone into liquidation! Where did you hear rhis from?
# 13
rosekitten
Old 20-08-2009, 7:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I would go for the Miele as they
are very long lasting,wash everything
really well,cheap on the electric,
good choice of wash cycles.Built
like a tank.

Believe me when your stood with
all the families washing piling up and
a bust machine and the repair man
cant get to you till 2,3 or 4 days.
You will kick yourself for ever taking
advice from a man.I know some men
will be up in arms but its mainly the
women who do the washing.
its taken me a long time to understand
the concept.you buy one machine and
never buy another.
# 14
AlisonW
Old 21-08-2009, 3:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazile View Post
Quote:
"Edit
Sorry just read thread properly, about the company going into liquidation. Now Im not so sure what to do. Possibly back to plan A, a Bosch."

Hi Alison, your wrong ISE have not gone into liquidation! Where did you hear rhis from?
Post 5, (though it actually said administration,)
Pleased to hear it if they haven't because it sounds a machine well worth getting.

I'd love a miele, it seems what ever appliance you are looking for people will tell you to go for a miele, if money was no object I would, but unfortunately it is, a low/mid range bosch is my budget limit. ( and thats with a tesco 12month interest free credit card )
Alie
# 15
27col
Old 22-08-2009, 5:44 PM

I would bet that if you asked around, you would find that there were just as many people who were getting good service from a cheaper machine as there were people getting good service from an expensive machine. As for paying £80 pa for a service contract, well, words fail me. Or does the £80 pa include the cost buying the machine. In 48 years we have only had about 5 washing m/cs. They were all pretty good and they were all of the cheaper types.
I can afford anything that I want.
Just so long as I don't want much.
# 16
TomsMom
Old 22-08-2009, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27col View Post
As for paying £80 pa for a service contract, well, words fail me. Or does the £80 pa include the cost buying the machine. In 48 years we have only had about 5 washing m/cs. They were all pretty good and they were all of the cheaper types.
Are you referring to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsMom View Post
My d-i-l has a Miele and managed to get one with a 10 year parts and labour warranty. This works out that for approx £80 per year she is covered for the next ten years. I think that's quite reasonable. If it lasts longer then great, if not it's still reasonable.

Modern cheap machines aren't built to last, and because of the way they are built repairs are expensive. My way of thinking is that a Miele or ISE10 working out at £80 a year is a better bet.
If so, it's not £80 a year for a service contract. The machine cost £800 and came with a free 10 year parts and labour warranty. If the machine conks out after 10 years then it's cost her £80 a year over the 10 years to run the machine and have any repairs done at no charge. If it lasts longer than 10 years then it's even better value for money.
# 17
27col
Old 23-08-2009, 6:38 PM

I did ask whether the £80 p.a. included buying the machine. In that case the cost of the m/c over 10 years is not excessive.
However, I still hold to my comments about the longevity of cheaper machines. Some of ours have lasted for 10 years without needing any repair. After a certain life then, if it does go wrong, we would replace it with another cheapish machine. Perhaps we have been lucky over the years. I do not think that we have ever had , what I would call an unreliable machine., and we we have never had an expensive machine, either.
I can afford anything that I want.
Just so long as I don't want much.
# 18
kwatt
Old 26-08-2009, 5:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi folks,

I just got wind of this thread and, I can assure you that, as a director within ISE, that ISE is not in administration, liquidation or anything else. I've no idea where that came from but it simply isn't true. It's not even remotely plausible.

There's also no danger at all that that will happen for the foreseeable future as the business is very sound and backed.

In any event, all our warranties unlike our competition, are insurance backed, currently by AXA from day one.

Antonio Merloni, the person so far as I know, has a controlling share in Asko Sweden, not the Antonio Merloni company. But, Asko is run as a totally separate business unit and is totally unaffected by the situation with Antonio Merloni Spa. In fact, Asko are producing more appliances now than they ever have as people get sick and tired of low quality machines that they are junking every couple of years.

27col, the problem is that as the lifespans are reduced and, they are reducing as machines get cheaper, the quality just goes out the window. I can certainly provide plenty of reading for you if you like to prove the point but the "average" life expectancy of a washing machine now has reduced from 10+ years to less than 7 since 2004/5 stats, that's a huge shift. Largely this is due to cheap machines lasting less than three years that tilt the figures that way.

Having said that, I have just done an exercise for an article taking what I was selling a Zanussi 1000 spin machine for around 1985 or so and applied actual inflation rates to the RRP then. Turns out that, for that same machine now, you should be paying a touch under £1000.

Like I keep telling people, you can't beat inflation, add features, make the product more efficient and make it cheaper without some sacrifice somewhere. For most, it's on the quality that they do it.

HTH

K.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. Its what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kwatt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
CKdesigner
Old 26-08-2009, 7:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatt View Post
Hi folks,

In any event, all our warranties unlike our competition, are insurance backed, currently by AXA from day one.
Hi Kwatt

If by the 'competition' you mean Miele, a few years ago they stopped their extended warranties being under written by D&G as they found they were stupidly 'writing off' machines that were less than 10 years old that supposedley needed say a new motor when infact it was just brushes. So Miele now under write it themselves so they control the quality of service.
# 20
kwatt
Old 26-08-2009, 10:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yup, but not quite the truth of it.

It saved Miele a pile of cash, nothing to do with service levels regardless of what you may have been told by the propaganda machine.

The machines were being repaired by Miele with the costs charged back to DAG. DAG wrote the machines off because of the stupid prices for Miele parts quoted to DAG by Miele to fix their machines using their engineers! It has nothing whatsoever to do with incorrect diagnosis as, if it were, it was Miele's own fault as DAG did not, never, ever pass Miele onto the rest of the network.

It's also how Miele snagged a TEQ Award.

But it really came down to cash and now, if Miele or Miele UK goes bust for whatever reason or bought out depending on the deal, the warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on.

But, Miele maintenance costs are positively scary.

Which is why ISE10, although spec'd for domestic use, spanks Miele on warranty and ongoing running costs in the light commercial arena. For a start we do a three year warranty against Miele's one.

HTH

K.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. Its what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
The Following User Says Thank You to kwatt For This Useful Post: Show me >>