IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
makro v costco, which is best?
Closed Thread
Views: 16,481
# 1
WOW Factor 0
blushingbride
Old 09-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default makro v costco, which is best?

Hi there,

I currently have a makro card and hubbys bro has a costco card, although costco is far from us it is near hubbys family and we try to visit every month or so.

I get flyers from makro and buy loo rolls etc when they are on offer but find meat etc can be brought cheaper on offer in tescos etc and when reduced.

Just want to work out whether it is worth us getting a costco card for 14 to use when we go to visit in milton keynes.

The main things we would buy would be:

cartons of juice
meat
toilet rolls
tins
frozen veg

would these be cheaper to buy in bulk than tesco own brand?

thanks
Katie
# 2
poodlehorse
Old 09-02-2009, 2:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have both cards, I don't visit Makro much now as we moved much further away but I do still make regular trips to Costco. To me the quality in Costco far exceeds Makro, so in terms of meat I think it is worth it. I wouldn't touch Makro meat but I think this has a lot to do with the environment in my local Makro, it just feels "cheap". But having said that other things like loo roll and tins and frozen stuff I think you are as good and cheaper at Makro. Makro tends to have a lot more Vat sized tubs while Costco has more pallets of retail size though, I do think the Kirkland brand is really good too at Costco and have never been disappointed with it (we had some lovely shower gel that they haven't stocked for ages), not sure I could say the same about Aro or whatever it is at Makro. So for me it is nice to have both. But I would say my Costco card does pay for itself. We bought our TV from there two months ago, we knew what we wanted and knew the cheapest price on the net and surprisingly they beat it AND we get a 5 year warranty as standard. So we saved a few years worth of membership fees with that one purchase. Whether you could do that with "normal" grocery style purchases I don't know. Just try so hard not to be seduced by the cakes and muffins. They are mmmmmmmm. I think overall you will find Makro cheaper, but if you are fussy about quality then Costco is better in that regard but that is not to say Makro is rubbish of course. I haven't been much help have I? I would say having both is definitely the way to go for me but if money is the bigger consideration then no it isn't worth it.
# 3
Clowance
Old 09-02-2009, 7:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile

I can't comment on costco as we don't have one near, but I have always found Makro meat (joints and steaks) both beef and lamb to be lovely. I wouldn't buy meat from Asda or Morrisons, and only get mince from waitrose or sainsburys lean scotch frozen, so I am extra picky about mince.

as to the title of the thread - harry hill would say "FIGHT" !
Don't forget quidco/topcashback - I do!
The Following User Says Thank You to Clowance For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
New_Dude
Old 09-02-2009, 8:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

To use Makro, you have to apply as a business or be in the public sector (and it's FREE), Costco let any riff-raff in as long as you pay their membership.
# 5
neiljc
Old 09-02-2009, 10:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

makro v costco, which is best?

fight!!!!
# 6
want2Bdebtfree
Old 09-02-2009, 10:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Convenience is money. Which one is nearer? what you save in membership you may pay in petrol.
# 7
Summer01
Old 10-02-2009, 8:55 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have both cards and I much prefer Coscto - we get so much from there each time we visit :-

Bart baked baguettes (v nice)
Soft drinks & Wines, Beers & Ginger Ale
Their own brand washing powder (only use this now)
All their meat (lamb, chicken, sausages, bacon, etc) - I bag it up into batches and freeze it
Cold meets and cheese
Muffins and crossaints (again can bag them up and freeze them)
Hollumi cheese
Crisps & Nuts
Shampoo etc, Johnsons Shower Gel etc

I wouldn't say it is really cheap but I find the quality is really good on alot of their products, i didn't join for years as i didn't think that the joining fee was worth paying but now I wouldn't cancel it as go there on a regular basis and get quite alot from there and just stock up. I would say the card pays for itself. Also at Christmas they have so many lovely things and decorations. I've also got some brilliant children's gifts from there. I got some Italian cooking pans with lids that my friend hand and I also got them for others who love them - the quality is outstanding.

I do go to Makro but only occasionally - I find their pricing to be abit confusing sometimes if I'm a hurry where as Costco pricing is v clearly displayed.

I would definately say Coscto is my favourite. Remember you don't have to renew so you could try it for a year and see how you go. The amount of stuff I see people have in their trolleys it's obviously very popular.

I hope this helps
# 8
Star
Old 10-02-2009, 10:46 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I prefer Costco and find their prices cheaper than Macro (special offers excluded), but then Marco is free membership.
# 9
hollydays
Old 10-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

If you join costco and aren't satisfied,you can get a refund.
# 10
TraceyB79
Old 10-02-2009, 11:02 AM
MoneySaving Convert

We have both memberships, but rarely use Costco. But with both you need to check prices against supermarkets, and remember that just because it's a cash & carry, doesnt automatically mean it's cheaper, - i've often found things cheaper in the supermarket. But saying that, when Makro have their special offers on - especially toilet rolls (triple velvet or andrex) and kitchen rolls (bounty) we stock up, as it makes the price very low.
I have on occasion bought meat from Makro, but apart from it being quite pricey, it's nothing special to be honest.
Costco cooked hot chickens (like the ones from the supermarkets) are by far superior to any other supermarket, - but i am really picky about chicken! lol.

Really i think it's like the battle of the supermarkets - there are good and bad things about both, but we could spend days going around each place to get the best bargains couldnt we?!
# 11
spaceman5
Old 10-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via MSN to spaceman5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowance View Post
I wouldn't buy meat from Asda or Morrisons, and only get mince from waitrose or sainsburys lean scotch frozen, so I am extra picky about mince.
i can understand not buying meat from asda`s, i would not touch it if they paid me to, but morrisons meat is lovely, comes in fresh, thay actually have butchers that cut the meat up to your liking, and the prices are competitive, and yes i do work for them but that is not why i am saying this, just that we always get our meat from there as we know it is fresh, not like asda`s, tesco`s and sainsburys, where all there meat comes in pre packed, Dave
Take every day as it comes!!
# 12
smallpackages
Old 10-02-2009, 4:34 PM

Smile

hi i dont know about makro but i love costco! i have always made back my membership money and then some. i pay about 30 quid a year for my card but last christmas my daughter wanted a 60 toy and i managed to get it from costco for 25 ! every month i buy lorne sausage, steak mince, chicken breasts,pork loin, flank steak for stew, dog food and muffins which i half then freeze. throughout the year i pick up christmas gifts too. i spend 7 on one bigf roll of top quality christmas wrap and it does for all of my gifts. the quality and value always impresses me. i can pick up magazines cheaper there too now. i love to browse books and always find unusual and cheap gifts, and pick up some great clothes. crocs for me and the kids - much cheaper. i have previously bought kitchen ware pots and pans and a tv. great service and no probs with returns. my latest costco bargain is my new raliegh bike. full size ladies bike with suspension etc priced at 250 on raliegh site and at halfords, costco price 114!!!!!!!! party on !
# 13
smallpackages
Old 10-02-2009, 4:36 PM

oh and ps - as for morrisons i dont shop there often but i do make a special journey for tuna. it is the best fresh tuna i have found, probably cause it not frozen
# 14
spaceman5
Old 10-02-2009, 5:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to spaceman5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallpackages View Post
oh and ps - as for morrisons i dont shop there often but i do make a special journey for tuna. it is the best fresh tuna i have found, probably cause it not frozen
thats my department, and yes all the meat/fish is fresh, i.e not been frozen before, Dave
Take every day as it comes!!
# 15
ZARABOY
Old 02-03-2009, 10:13 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

How can I get card for marco?
# 16
mjgreen60
Old 02-03-2009, 10:40 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARABOY View Post
How can I get card for marco?
Ask him nicely?
Just started comping - 1/12/08 - keep your fingers crossed!
The Following User Says Thank You to mjgreen60 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
ZARABOY
Old 02-03-2009, 10:43 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

It mean I dont run my own bussines and not meat their criteria. Is there other way to get a gard?
# 18
cybermum
Old 02-03-2009, 5:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Dude View Post
To use Makro, you have to apply as a business or be in the public sector (and it's FREE), Costco let any riff-raff in as long as you pay their membership.
Um actually no.
To join Costco you also have to be business owner or in one of a number of professions(NHS,police,fire service,accountant etc).

We belong to Costco and much prefer it to Makro.
Great deals on washing powder,juices etc
And they run passport saving books periodically too offering further reductions
# 19
Numenor
Old 02-03-2009, 5:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARABOY View Post
It mean I dont run my own bussines and not meat their criteria. Is there other way to get a gard?
I'd be interested in an answer/solution to this too - I've wanted a Makro card for years, but never been able to convince an employer to get me one.

# 20
satan666wayne
Old 02-03-2009, 6:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermum View Post
Um actually no.
To join Costco you also have to be business owner or in one of a number of professions(NHS,police,fire service,accountant etc).
Almost any company and all it's staff can join as long as you pay. I work in a warehouse for tesco and costco came in a few weeks ago anyone could join they even tried to get visitors to join.
Closed Thread