Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    dreamer33
    Sar Letter
    • 8th Feb 09, 11:31 AM
    Sar Letter 8th Feb 09 at 11:31 AM
    This SAR was kindly supplied by Incipience.

DATA PROTECTION ACT 1998
    SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST

Date: xx:xx:xxxx

Dear Sir/Madam
    Name xxxxxxxxxxxx
    Account No’sXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I understand that you currently hold details of my personal and financial information within your internal record systems with regard to personal loan accounts and credit cards accounts

I would be grateful if you would provide the following for ALL accounts or associated accounts I hold or have held with your organisation:
    1. Full copies of all contracts which you believe exist or have existed between myself and your organisation, including true copies of any documents you hold in support of the same.
    2. A complete list of all transactions or statements relating to ALL of my Loan Accounts with your organisation.
    3. Copies of all documents which include any of my personal information including copies of any contacts or invoices, emails or computer records containing my personal information, or any records which pertain to this information.
    4. Full copies or transcripts of any correspondence in postal, email or any other format which you have entered into with any individual, organization or third party which contains my personal or financial, or which pertains to me.
    5. Where any previous information or records held have been deleted or disposed of, the methods used to do so, including dates, certificates or references confirming details of destruction. Where you are unable to provide such certificates, please provide a declaration, signed by an authorised officer of your company, confirming the dates and methods of destruction of this data.
    6. Full hard copy print outs of my personal or financial information, held in a digital, magnetic or any other format which is held in any archives, backups or other storage devices / locations.
    7. Underwriting sheet or other such document recording any commission (or other) payment made to an intermediary or packager, and/or payment/commission from the insurer in relation to my account.
    Where you have used abbreviations and/or codes, I would request that an accompanying sheet be provided so as to translate these abbreviations and/or codes and their meanings, I also request an accompanying appendices of the documents included and reference to the purpose or meaning to those documents.

I request that you provide all the information requested above, even though you may consider that it falls outside Data Protection.

I reserve the right to refer to the contents of this letter if an application for pre-action discovery is necessary relating to any of the documents requested herein.

I enclose a cheque in the sum of £10 to cover your fee.

IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO DEAL WITH THIS REQUEST, YOU SHOULD IMMEDIALTELY FORWARD IT TO THE PERSON WITHIN YOUR ORGANISATION RESPONSIBLE FOR DATA PROTECTION.

I look forward to hearing from you in the first instance of receipt.

Your Faithfully.

.................................................. .................................................. .......................
    Details of:
    SAR (SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST)

For anyone requesting a Subject Access Request (SAR), they have 40 days to comply and send you all the information they have on you on your accounts.

£10 cheque payment or postal order is required.

Always post by recorded delivery.

When you receive the SAR, you should receive all that is requested within the template, if in doubt just post up here where someone will be able to confirm what is what.

You will or should receive all information going back as far as 6 years, you may be lucky to receive information going back even further, every company varies from one to the other.

Write again to the company if you believe they have not given everything requested, they should write back within a short time and confirm if that is everything they do have on you and your account(s) with them.

You do not always receive recorded discs, however phone calls made Jan 2005 after may have been recorded, where they may then supply the recordings, but otherwise you should receive transcripts of dates, times etc of when calls were made and the reasons for the phone calls.

If there were a joint loan taken out, and you both require details, most companies will want 2 payments of £10 x 2 = £20 cheque or postal order and require 2 signatures, check this with the company concerned to save on time and any come backs.

Again if you feel let down you can always contact the Information commissioners Office, known as the ICO who will be able to direct you here, here is the ICO website for your interest, check this out, as more information will be within their website.
    http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public.aspx

Last edited by dreamer33; 08-02-2009 at 2:05 PM. Reason: add more info
Page 24
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 4th Sep 16, 6:50 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    OceanSound
    I'm not even going to respond any further to this.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    You just have

Are you suggesting that I work for Satander and have somehow identified you from your "OceanSound" identity here?

Of course it's not a coincidence...
    are you saying OceanSound is the only piece of information you know about me? (apart from what I've already told you here and info provided when I joined the forum)

Why are you defending my "conspiracy theories" so vigorously if they are baseless?. (Because someone told you to?)

People aren't stupid. They'll figure it out.
    • WatchMan
    • By WatchMan 4th Sep 16, 12:46 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    WatchMan

People aren't stupid. They'll figure it out.
    Originally posted by OceanSound
    I don't know.

All I've seen is that there was mention of businesses using payment by cheque as a barrier to a SAR. Moneyineptitude suggested, what has to be, the most logical alternative to a cheque... a postal order.

So far, you've accused Moneyineptitude of running this site and writing the guides, and then working for a bank and identifying you.

When I log in tomorrow, I fully expect MI to be in the frame for the Kennedy assassination.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 4th Sep 16, 12:48 PM
    • 7,452 Posts
    • 4,901 Thanks
    -taff
    Tin foil is available in various supermarkets......
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 4th Sep 16, 9:30 PM
    • 19,565 Posts
    • 9,673 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    are you saying OceanSound is the only piece of information you know about me? (
    Of course not, I know your full address, telephone number and bank sort code. I also know your name is Winston Kodogo and that you are currently watching 'Poldark" on BBC1. You really should purchase a TV license...
    • Rainbowgirl84
    • By Rainbowgirl84 4th Sep 16, 10:58 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Rainbowgirl84
    Update:

Sent a cheque for 10 pounds accompanied with a letter printed on paper + ID.

After the discussion here (on this forum) about the terms and conditions not being part of my personal data. I decided to leave that part out from the Santander SAR.

See my original Santander SAR (names and personal details replaced) lodged via secure messaging : bit.ly/sant-ini-request

The paper copy I sent via post: bit.ly/sant-fee-attacd

No mention of terms and conditions.

However, I received a letter from Santander on 26 August 2016. It has the following:

Please note that some documents, such as company internal policies and procedures, terms and conditions etc contain no personal data and therefore do not fall under the remit of a Subject Access Request.

See their letter: bit.ly/sant-sar-rep

Moneyineptitude: still think it's coincidence?. Santander has nothing to do with Halifax, in fact they are competitors. Although, when it comes to information, they know exactly what I said. Yep, through a third party. He always takes care of business. <wink> Looks after them real good. Just follow the money.

I'll be lodging a complaint with the ICO against Santander for not responding to the initial SAR lodged via secure messaging (section 7 breach of the DPA) among other breaches.

So you were unable to send a cheque but did?
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 5th Sep 16, 12:51 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    OceanSound
    So you were unable to send a cheque but did?
    Originally posted by Rainbowgirl84
    only after a loooong delay. I'm overseas.

There's supermarkets abroad. (that's where I get my tin foil from). However, they don't do postal orders.

Unless you're somewhere like Bahamas or Antigua and Barbuda, you won't be able to get one. The UK post office website say's you can buy a british postal order in those countries. see: www.postoffice.co.uk/postal-orders. Even then I doubt supermarkets do them.

I invite you to suggest otherwise.

Anyway, I'm off to spot chemtrails. Got my tin foil hat , but most importantly, my Occam's razor.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Sep 16, 1:12 PM
    • 19,565 Posts
    • 9,673 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I'm overseas.
    Clearly if I had known that earlier in the thread I wouldn't have suggested a Postal Order.

International Money Orders, on the other hand, are available to you....

Still think I run this site, write the articles AND work for a Bank which can somehow identify customers from anonymous posts on the Internet?
    • -taff
    • By -taff 5th Sep 16, 3:23 PM
    • 7,452 Posts
    • 4,901 Thanks
    -taff
    I'm overseas.

Might have helped if you'd explained that bit to start with.....

Happy tin foil hatting
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 7th Sep 16, 7:38 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    OceanSound
    International Money Orders, on the other hand, are available to you....
    International Money order. Geez. How old are you? 95?..100?.

Of course, if you're a brit and you reach 100 you can receive a telegram from the QUeen. I can understand that. But Money orders, who pays using money orders these days?..How many times in everyday conversations do you hear.."oh!, let me send you a money order", "Do you accept money orders".

Anyway, It's all contactless cards and PAYm now. I seem to get endless offers to sign-up to god knows how many credit cards, but when it comes to paying for a SAR..oh!, we only accept, cheque or postal order.

BTW, that's what SANtander has said:

....please send a cheque or postal order for £10, payable to “Santander UK plc (Access
    Enquiry) along with full written details of your request, to the following address:
    Data Subject Access Requests, Santander UK plc, PO Box 1111, Bradford, BD1 9NQ.
    Money order not accepted.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 7th Sep 16, 11:25 AM
    • 19,565 Posts
    • 9,673 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Money order not accepted.
    An International Money order would be accepted.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 7th Sep 16, 2:08 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    OceanSound
    It doesn't matter if you tell them how YOU can't pay, they are telling you what they will accept as payment.

You pay as they ask, or you don't.
    Originally posted by -taff

An International Money order would be accepted.
    You're buddy seemed pretty confident that we have to pay using the method suggested by the bank/company/organisation. See above.

Actually, you could be on to something, because I remember reading that as long as you can prove you've sent the fee and the recipient received it, the bank has to start processing the SAR. The 40 day clock starts from when they receive the fee. SO in theory you could send a bankers draft and that would have to be accepted.

Clearly if I had known that earlier in the thread I wouldn't have suggested a Postal Order.

Still think I run this site, write the articles AND work for a Bank which can somehow identify customers from anonymous posts on the Internet?
    Even while knowing I was overseas you could respond pretending not to know If you didn't pretend, you'd be giving the game away. (You'll be making it obvious! and it won't be a conspiracy anymore).

Anyway, how would someone staying in Spain, USA or Australia (Many brits in these countries - so naturally they get a mention) go about getting an International Money Order, presumably in British Pounds. Where would they go to get one?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 7th Sep 16, 11:57 PM
    • 19,565 Posts
    • 9,673 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I no longer care, I'm afraid.
    • a-spoon-full-of-sugar
    • By a-spoon-full-of-sugar 30th Nov 16, 10:29 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    a-spoon-full-of-sugar
    I expect this has been covered:
    I have successfully claimed on my Lloyds Credit Card & Loan Accounts but I completely forgot until the other day, that I had an Egg Credit Card about 2003-5. I wonder how I can I get hold of my account details to be able to initiate the SAR process and a claim?
    Any guidance appreciated.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 30th Nov 16, 10:57 AM
    • 7,452 Posts
    • 4,901 Thanks
    -taff
    Send the SAR to Canada Square Operations.
    Don't get your hopes up for Egg though, their online application had a pre ticked box aroud 2001.....
    • jimmy2007
    • By jimmy2007 19th Jul 17, 1:33 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jimmy2007
    Is this SARS letter in the original post still relevant in 2017? Just wanted to check
    • -taff
    • By -taff 19th Jul 17, 5:57 PM
    • 7,452 Posts
    • 4,901 Thanks
    -taff
    Yes.............
    Take out the part about proof of destruction, that's not.
    • Flicknick
    • By Flicknick 7th Aug 17, 10:08 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Flicknick
    Hello

I am completely new to this and have read lots of the posts and helpful advice and wondered if you could help me.

Back in the 80's and 90's I had various loans with Nationwide and Halifax. I don't have details of the loans any more and cant remember definitively if PPI was included with them but something in my memory thinks it was. I do however have my old account numbers and sort codes and wondered if as a starting point I should send an SAR letter to both or do you think I will be wasting my time as they are so old and they will simply come back with a standard response saying they don't hold records this far back.

Also, I had a mortgage back in 1993 with Abbey National (now Santander) where I am confident some form of PPI was attached to this. Unfortunately, I don't have any account numbers any more but I know the mortgage was paid through my Nationwide account which details I do have. Could I include something in the SAR letter asking if they could supply any details they have of the payments made to Abbey National? If not, should I send an SAR letter to Santander?

I know I also had various car loans during the 80s and 90s where PPI was included but again don't have these details any more but they would have been paid from my Nationwide account. Again should I include something in the SAR letter to ask if they have any records/statements of transactions paid from the account?

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thank you
    Flicknick
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 7th Aug 17, 11:35 AM
    • 19,565 Posts
    • 9,673 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Any help with this would be much appreciated.
    Originally posted by Flicknick
    Answered on your duplicate thread here;
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5691396
    • lilia_fellini
    • By lilia_fellini 6th Oct 17, 3:48 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    lilia_fellini
    SARS for more than one account
    I held numerous credit cards with MBNA over the years. I am about to file SAR request, but only have one account number, but not the rest. I am not sure how the letter is worded, but if I supplied only one account number and maybe said something in the lines of "and any other credit accounts I held with MBNA you have records on" - would MBNA send this too?

I am asking, because when I requested SAR from Barclays, I only put down my current account number, but to my surprise they sent all the info they held on file for me including credit card accounts for which I did not explicitly asked (bonus!)

Equally, if I wanted to request SAR from Nationwide, would it be enough to only give them current account number in the hope that they will send me the credit card statements?
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    • 515 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Comms69
    A SAR letter can and should ask for 'all information you hold on myself'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

269Posts Today

1,802Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin