Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • dreamlife99
    • 5th Feb 09, 10:03 PM
    • 5th Feb 09, 10:03 PM
    you can buy stuff like this from birmingham city centre markets. theres a stall that has mainly dairy stuff. you get yogurts from asda sainsburys etc.... there areother various stalls sellling crisps biscuits chololates etc...
    • Obi167
    • By Obi167 5th Feb 09, 10:49 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    Obi167
    • 5th Feb 09, 10:49 PM
    • 5th Feb 09, 10:49 PM
    what's the website?
  • pennypincher1010
    • 5th Feb 09, 10:56 PM
    Out of Date Food
    • 5th Feb 09, 10:56 PM
    There is a whole thread on the topic of 'out of date' food and where to get it here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1460103
    • zenseeker
    • By zenseeker 5th Feb 09, 11:44 PM
    • 4,166 Posts
    • 28,437 Thanks
    zenseeker
    • 5th Feb 09, 11:44 PM
    • 5th Feb 09, 11:44 PM
    you cannot actually legally sell items past their "sell by date", I think you are getting confused with "Best before dates" which you can legally sell, but must be reduced.
    • creased-leach
    • By creased-leach 6th Feb 09, 12:03 AM
    • 1,448 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    creased-leach
    • 6th Feb 09, 12:03 AM
    • 6th Feb 09, 12:03 AM
    We got a load of whitworths dried fruits today from Poundstretchers, use by was Jan 09, and they were down to 29p for a big bag of Cranberries- great for baking- or 10p for snack sizes. I'm informed they were lovely!
  • Mistymaid
    • 6th Feb 09, 7:26 AM
    • 6th Feb 09, 7:26 AM
    you cannot actually legally sell items past their "sell by date", I think you are getting confused with "Best before dates" which you can legally sell, but must be reduced.
    Originally posted by zenseeker

Isn't it the 'use by' dates that you can't sell - stuff that is fresh and on a steep decline after that date (eggs, fish, meat etc) Best before, just denotes the product is at it's most premium quality before the date given, doesn't mean it's not safe to eat after that date.
    • Hotspur
    • By Hotspur 6th Feb 09, 8:42 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    Hotspur
    • 6th Feb 09, 8:42 AM
    • 6th Feb 09, 8:42 AM
    Originally posted by zenseeker
    Still confusion about this I see. To clarify, in law there isn't such a thing as 'Sell by' date which is marked on by the manufacturer, primarily to assist with stock control.

The law requires all food to be marked with one of the following:

'Use by' - found on perishable foods where there may be a risk to the health of a person once the date has expired. It's illegal to sell food past the 'Use by' date.

'Best before' - found on non perishable food which may not look, taste or be at its best once the date has expired. Food may be legally sold past the 'best before' date. There is no obligation to reduce the price.
    • Snoopy_rules
    • By Snoopy_rules 6th Feb 09, 9:28 AM
    • 702 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    Snoopy_rules
    • 6th Feb 09, 9:28 AM
    • 6th Feb 09, 9:28 AM
    Tesco's get rid of there out of date food by sending it to home delivery customers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:
    • jaytin
    • By jaytin 6th Feb 09, 9:48 AM
    • 463 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    jaytin
    Tesco's get rid of there out of date food by sending it to home delivery customers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Snoopy_rules
    Hahahaha oh that is so true! I refuse to use Tesco Home delivery after the last disastrous episode of items already on the use-by date and a whole tray (14 items) that went missing! The CS person actually suggested (it was Friday night) that we could have it re-delivered on Monday!!! Luckily the driver found it and brought it back an hour later.
  • Rick38
    I would never ever eat food past its 'use by' date. I have no problem with 'best before' dates though.
    I have mentioned on another thread that any 'encouragement' people give others to eat food past its 'use by' date is completely irresponsible. The use by date is there for a reason.
  • sarahwarren72
    Is there any other places like AF around then? Im down south in portsmouth ive tried google looking for places but i gave up!!
  • notlongnow
    I would never ever eat food past its 'use by' date. I have no problem with 'best before' dates though.
    I have mentioned on another thread that any 'encouragement' people give others to eat food past its 'use by' date is completely irresponsible. The use by date is there for a reason.
    Originally posted by Rick38
    Hi Rick. I was just wondering...if you had an item with a use by date of today, would you eat it today but not tommorow?

Would you eat it late in the evening tonight, but not early tommorow morning?

im just curious. I used to never eat things past their use by date, but now I will give things a day or two grace (fresh items) and im still here to tell the tale.
  • notlongnow
    Around here in Yorkshire we have 'Job Lot'. Sells a lot of carp and you have to check dates as they sell out of date items and freeze fresh items when near their use-by. You can get some good items and is really cheap for tins and packets.
    • dawnybabes
    • By dawnybabes 9th Feb 09, 5:05 PM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 3,640 Thanks
    dawnybabes
    Around here in Yorkshire we have 'Job Lot'. Sells a lot of carp and you have to check dates as they sell out of date items and freeze fresh items when near their use-by. You can get some good items and is really cheap for tins and packets.
    Originally posted by notlongnow
    ooh - wheres this then ?
    • y5d
    • By y5d 9th Feb 09, 7:01 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    y5d
    Job Lot

http://www.joblotltd.co.uk/newcontactus.html
    • one-non-blonde
    • By one-non-blonde 9th Feb 09, 7:17 PM
    • 807 Posts
    • 504 Thanks
    one-non-blonde
    Personally I tend to go by sense of smell and cook things thoroughly. We had some sausages the other day that were a week past their use by date. Yoghurts and eggs are frequently eaten weeks 'out of date' in my household, even milk can still be fresh a week beyond the stated date as long as it's stored properly. Nobody in my family has EVER had food poisoning. I think it's nuts that people go by some random date on their food and throw it out at the stroke of midnight without exercising some common sense. :rolleyes:
    If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor...
    • aberdeenlad1983
    • By aberdeenlad1983 9th Feb 09, 11:08 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    aberdeenlad1983
    Was on this site today and a lot of the prices are a bargain. Can i ask peoples opionins about best before dates. I was lookin up heinz beans and the product says: Best Before August 2007. Only askin since its feb 2009. Would the taste be completely gone? Thanks
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 10th Feb 09, 7:55 AM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 14,977 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    In the Yorkshire/Lancashire area there is a group of shops called Jack Fultons (also called Fultons Foods) who sell lots of fresh/dried/frozen goods approaching their best before and use by dates. I have had lots of bargains there. In the current financial climate it is one of the busiest shops in town!
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 10th Feb 09, 10:55 AM
    • 292 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    I have eaten foods one day beyond its use by date reguarly, and I havn't been ill in a long time.

I just bought some Salmon with todays date on it reduced. It still looks fine, should be fine to eat tommorow, the date is generally a couple days earlier than when they will actually go off otherwise they could go off on the day, and then the company gets sued... they do not magically go off at midnight!

One day is fine in my opnion, its always best to freeze these things though, but when I want to eat it tommorow, I see no point.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,017Posts Today

7,809Users online

Martin's Twitter