Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Shop but don't drop > Buying Past It's Sell by Date Food (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Buying Past It's Sell by Date Food
Closed Thread
Views: 17,928
# 1
WOW Factor 0
pennypincher1010
Old 05-02-2009, 9:29 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Buying Past It's Sell by Date Food

Hi There

I read about a website on MSE that sells 'past it's sell by date' food. I wonder if there would be a market for this sort of thing on the High Street!? What do big supermarkets do with food 'past it's sell by date'? Throw it in the bin I imagine!?

Anyway, if someone wants to open a shop selling out of date food - you've already got one potential customer!

# 2
dreamlife99
Old 05-02-2009, 10:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

you can buy stuff like this from birmingham city centre markets. theres a stall that has mainly dairy stuff. you get yogurts from asda sainsburys etc.... there areother various stalls sellling crisps biscuits chololates etc...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dreamlife99 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Obi167
Old 05-02-2009, 10:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

what's the website?
# 4
pennypincher1010
Old 05-02-2009, 10:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Out of Date Food

There is a whole thread on the topic of 'out of date' food and where to get it here:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...html?t=1460103
# 5
zenseeker
Old 05-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

you cannot actually legally sell items past their "sell by date", I think you are getting confused with "Best before dates" which you can legally sell, but must be reduced.
The Following User Says Thank You to zenseeker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
creased-leach
Old 06-02-2009, 12:03 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We got a load of whitworths dried fruits today from Poundstretchers, use by was Jan 09, and they were down to 29p for a big bag of Cranberries- great for baking- or 10p for snack sizes. I'm informed they were lovely!
# 7
Mistymaid
Old 06-02-2009, 7:26 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenseeker View Post
you cannot actually legally sell items past their "sell by date", I think you are getting confused with "Best before dates" which you can legally sell, but must be reduced.

Isn't it the 'use by' dates that you can't sell - stuff that is fresh and on a steep decline after that date (eggs, fish, meat etc) Best before, just denotes the product is at it's most premium quality before the date given, doesn't mean it's not safe to eat after that date.
# 8
Hotspur
Old 06-02-2009, 8:42 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenseeker View Post
Still confusion about this I see. To clarify, in law there isn't such a thing as 'Sell by' date which is marked on by the manufacturer, primarily to assist with stock control.

The law requires all food to be marked with one of the following:

'Use by' - found on perishable foods where there may be a risk to the health of a person once the date has expired. It's illegal to sell food past the 'Use by' date.

'Best before' - found on non perishable food which may not look, taste or be at its best once the date has expired. Food may be legally sold past the 'best before' date. There is no obligation to reduce the price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hotspur For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Snoopy_rules
Old 06-02-2009, 9:28 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Tesco's get rid of there out of date food by sending it to home delivery customers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:
The Following User Says Thank You to Snoopy_rules For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
jaytin
Old 06-02-2009, 9:48 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy_rules View Post
Tesco's get rid of there out of date food by sending it to home delivery customers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:
Hahahaha oh that is so true! I refuse to use Tesco Home delivery after the last disastrous episode of items already on the use-by date and a whole tray (14 items) that went missing! The CS person actually suggested (it was Friday night) that we could have it re-delivered on Monday!!! Luckily the driver found it and brought it back an hour later.
# 11
Rick38
Old 09-02-2009, 6:36 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I would never ever eat food past its 'use by' date. I have no problem with 'best before' dates though.
I have mentioned on another thread that any 'encouragement' people give others to eat food past its 'use by' date is completely irresponsible. The use by date is there for a reason.
# 12
sarahwarren72
Old 09-02-2009, 8:32 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Is there any other places like AF around then? Im down south in portsmouth ive tried google looking for places but i gave up!!
# 13
notlongnow
Old 09-02-2009, 10:04 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick38 View Post
I would never ever eat food past its 'use by' date. I have no problem with 'best before' dates though.
I have mentioned on another thread that any 'encouragement' people give others to eat food past its 'use by' date is completely irresponsible. The use by date is there for a reason.
Hi Rick. I was just wondering...if you had an item with a use by date of today, would you eat it today but not tommorow?

Would you eat it late in the evening tonight, but not early tommorow morning?

im just curious. I used to never eat things past their use by date, but now I will give things a day or two grace (fresh items) and im still here to tell the tale.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to notlongnow For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
notlongnow
Old 09-02-2009, 10:06 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Around here in Yorkshire we have 'Job Lot'. Sells a lot of carp and you have to check dates as they sell out of date items and freeze fresh items when near their use-by. You can get some good items and is really cheap for tins and packets.
The Following User Says Thank You to notlongnow For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
dawnybabes
Old 09-02-2009, 5:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlongnow View Post
Around here in Yorkshire we have 'Job Lot'. Sells a lot of carp and you have to check dates as they sell out of date items and freeze fresh items when near their use-by. You can get some good items and is really cheap for tins and packets.
ooh - wheres this then ?
# 16
y5d
Old 09-02-2009, 7:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Job Lot

http://www.joblotltd.co.uk/newcontactus.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to y5d For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
one-non-blonde
Old 09-02-2009, 7:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Personally I tend to go by sense of smell and cook things thoroughly. We had some sausages the other day that were a week past their use by date. Yoghurts and eggs are frequently eaten weeks 'out of date' in my household, even milk can still be fresh a week beyond the stated date as long as it's stored properly. Nobody in my family has EVER had food poisoning. I think it's nuts that people go by some random date on their food and throw it out at the stroke of midnight without exercising some common sense. :rolleyes:
If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to one-non-blonde For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
aberdeenlad1983
Old 09-02-2009, 11:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Was on this site today and a lot of the prices are a bargain. Can i ask peoples opionins about best before dates. I was lookin up heinz beans and the product says: Best Before August 2007. Only askin since its feb 2009. Would the taste be completely gone? Thanks
# 19
TravellingAbuela
Old 10-02-2009, 7:55 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

In the Yorkshire/Lancashire area there is a group of shops called Jack Fultons (also called Fultons Foods) who sell lots of fresh/dried/frozen goods approaching their best before and use by dates. I have had lots of bargains there. In the current financial climate it is one of the busiest shops in town!
The Following User Says Thank You to TravellingAbuela For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
stevenhp1987
Old 10-02-2009, 10:55 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via MSN to stevenhp1987 Send a message via Skype™ to stevenhp1987

Quote:
I have eaten foods one day beyond its use by date reguarly, and I havn't been ill in a long time.

I just bought some Salmon with todays date on it reduced. It still looks fine, should be fine to eat tommorow, the date is generally a couple days earlier than when they will actually go off otherwise they could go off on the day, and then the company gets sued... they do not magically go off at midnight!

One day is fine in my opnion, its always best to freeze these things though, but when I want to eat it tommorow, I see no point.
Closed Thread