Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > 0844 Numbers and Talk Talk (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
0844 Numbers and Talk Talk
Closed Thread
Views: 1,153
# 1
curlywurly
Old 31-01-2009, 9:55 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default 0844 Numbers and Talk Talk

Hi,

After Sky doing a bit of a dirty on me I am planning to change broadband provider (and phone). I phone international numbers alot and make good use of the "International Callchecker". Can anyone tell me if the prices quoted are valid phoning via Talk Talk or do the bump up the price?

Thanks in advance.

Curlywurly.
# 2
blowfelt
Old 31-01-2009, 10:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

You will have to check Talk Talks T&C to see what they will charge for certain numbers.
# 3
atticgirl2003
Old 01-02-2009, 12:02 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlywurly View Post
Hi,

After Sky doing a bit of a dirty on me I am planning to change broadband provider (and phone). I phone international numbers alot and make good use of the "International Callchecker". Can anyone tell me if the prices quoted are valid phoning via Talk Talk or do the bump up the price?

Thanks in advance.

Curlywurly.

If you move your broadband and phone to talk talk, international calls to 36 destinations are free to call at any time.
# 4
jhp
Old 01-02-2009, 3:11 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Talk Talk charge the same as BT to call 0844 numbers at the moment,accept their connection charge is slightly cheaper 7p i believe instead of Bt,s 8p.
# 5
curlywurly
Old 01-02-2009, 8:47 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Many thanks for the replies. Most helpful. Unfortunately the country I phone the most (Turkey) is outside the 36 free ones but that is good news if I can continue to use the 0844 numbers as before and even get it a wee bit cheaper.

Thanks again.
# 6
albula
Old 01-02-2009, 5:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I phone abroad with 0844 with Best Minutes for 1d.per minute.
With Onetel last year they charged 5d. connection fee. Fine. With Tiscali who I am now with they have been charging me very erratically. When complaining they have told me they now charge 7d. connection fee PLUS
1.69 per minute. On the Best Minute website they suggest you call Offcom if telephone servers charge more than their prices. I mailed Offcom but naturally they have not answered. What else can I do.
Am getting sick to death of all telephone services charging more and more for their connection fees. I daresay this is due to the so called free evening and weekend calls, but as a very low user on local calls (only when necessary - not to chat) we are being ripped off.
Anyone else experienced these extra costs on overide numbers suggested by Martin.
# 7
billsavings
Old 02-02-2009, 1:51 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by albula View Post
I phone abroad with 0844 with Best Minutes for 1d.per minute.
With Onetel last year they charged 5d. connection fee. Fine. With Tiscali who I am now with they have been charging me very erratically. When complaining they have told me they now charge 7d. connection fee PLUS
1.69 per minute. On the Best Minute website they suggest you call Offcom if telephone servers charge more than their prices. I mailed Offcom but naturally they have not answered. What else can I do.
Am getting sick to death of all telephone services charging more and more for their connection fees. I daresay this is due to the so called free evening and weekend calls, but as a very low user on local calls (only when necessary - not to chat) we are being ripped off.
Anyone else experienced these extra costs on overide numbers suggested by Martin.
If you look at the Best Minutes site your see the rates they quote are based on what BT charge to call their access numbers,other providers can and do charge more to call non geographical numbers,and Ofcom are not interested.

Tiscali put their rates up some time ago. See: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...t=tiscali+0844

Last edited by billsavings; 02-02-2009 at 1:54 AM.
# 8
Heinz
Old 02-02-2009, 7:51 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Others are even worse. Virgin Media, for example, charge double for p and 1p per minute 0844 numbers!

I bet that catches a few of their customers out.
Much of the advice on residential telephony I have given over the past 9 years or so is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
I will continue to help with Orchid programming whenever possible.
Closed Thread