Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Page 4
    • By AMILLIONDOLLARS 2nd Mar 06, 12:31 PM
    • 2,242 Posts
    • 2,545 Thanks
    Sainsbury's 10% off everything except petrol/cigs/lottery, somestimes get discount vouchers for Homebase, last one 15% off everything.
    MORTGAGE FREE 17/10/2013!!
    £6500 - PAID OFF Barclays @ 0% interest free 24mths
    • gentlepurr
    • By gentlepurr 2nd Mar 06, 3:29 PM
    • 3,927 Posts
    • 4,819 Thanks
    most i ever got was a free daily local newspaper, when i worked for them

• mjh1977
    I'm a civil servant and belong to a couple of schemes run by the civil service social club and the union (not directly by my employer). One offers straight discounts; the other the scheme, described elsewhere, where you buy £x of vouchers for anywhere between 2 and 20% off.

Therefore in theory I could:
    (1) Buy the vouchers with a cashback credit card;
    (2) Make a purchase using the vouchers, flashing the discount card for a further x% off;
    (3) Use Nectar or suchlike to get further cashback.

When you add the possibility of getting BOGOFs etc, and using other vouchers, this works out to be quite a good return.

Also, it takes so long you never leave the house, which also works out cheaper... I've not done it, but could be good for regular and bigger purchases.

• snowbrow
    • By snowbrow 11th Mar 06, 10:01 AM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 2,655 Thanks
    I get 10 free rentals a week
    Plus 20% off at Game Statiion & Blockbusters
    Also get free first calss rail Travel Thanks to Dad
    Get 10-20% off at restauraunts & pubs thanks to sis working for Local Council
    Get 10% student discout at various stores like new look, arcadia group, etcc..
    One Friend works at HomeBargains so can get discount there if item cost over certain ammount cant remeber how much!
    Other friend gets me 33% discount at waterstones & 20% discount at hmv!!!

So I save at least £50+ p/w
    Mortgage free wannabe
    2015 overpayment target £2868.01/£5000
    • Ally
    • By Ally 11th Mar 06, 10:36 AM
    • 5,607 Posts
    • 2,442 Thanks
    Monsoon give their staff 75% discount off everything and a monthly credit of £250 for buying clothes to wear on the job! My friend has around £1,500 (that was the last time she mentioned it - last year!) on her card and she couldn't manage to use it all! ..... Told her I could handle it easy! I wish .... but we do all get Monsoon goodies for birthdays and xmas etc!

Accessorize have to 75% discount, not sure if they get the monthly credit though :confused:

I think that is a fantastic discount .... probably one of the best!

edit: off to apply for a job with Monsoon now that they have more flexi hours
    I can say whatever I like here ... 'cos no one can see me .. ner ner ner ner ner !!!....

How do you know I ain't sitting here butt naked?!?!

I thunk I've made you think for a minute!

• janeym8
    you can enter your nhs pay number into nhs discounts and get money off of loads of things-can still be cheaper using some codes etc from on here-oh and if Im lucky I will get a plaster if I cut myself lol

janey xxx
  • Donnaslayer
    My little sis works at Ann Summers and get a massive 30% off

sometimes they get afew vouchers to pass onto friends and family
  • jo_b
    Next offer cashiers a 50% discount off all full-priced items and non-sales staff a 25% discount.

Luckily, I've got a friend who works in Next and loves going shopping with me!
    • Ally
    • By Ally 21st Mar 06, 2:43 PM
    • 5,607 Posts
    • 2,442 Thanks
    Ikea do 15% of regular stuff, 50% off display stock ... but more often they get around 70% off ... I know someone who just purchased an £800 item with other bits and bobs thrown in for £200
    I can say whatever I like here ... 'cos no one can see me .. ner ner ner ner ner !!!....

How do you know I ain't sitting here butt naked?!?!

I thunk I've made you think for a minute!

• seanparkin
    my OH works at debenhams,

both her and myself get a 25% discount staff card. I think it only gives 10-15% off concessions though...
  • queenofthedump
    I work for my husband as a full time domestic technician, I get free room and board, free food and I pay for nothing and I get a compnay car - only down side is I have to clean the free room and the rest of the house and shop for and cook the free food and I have to sleep with the boss.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 30th Mar 06, 8:44 PM
    • 12,488 Posts
    • 47,040 Thanks
    and I have to sleep with the boss.
    by marieb
    Thats over and above the call of duty if you ask me, however, your not the only one in this position and i have to cook my boss's meals too as well as look after his kids.

I thought slave labour had been abolished years ago.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
  • madnlooney
    being in the forces i get a few discounts round afew places. normally get 20% to half price in subway and i think its about 10% in burgerking. alot of the others aint really chain stores
  • maniac886
    Work for M&S and get 20% off everything. Also at the end of the day we get to buy the out of date food i.e passed its display by date.
    Any sandwiches:20p
    Rest of items:1/4 price

This comes to quite a large saving!!
  • sockospice
    I'd second Virgin for being great for discounts, not only on Virgin products but also many others.
  • Princessa
    I'm another tesco's person. Get 10% off my shopping, car insurance and home insurance.

What's the cheap dvd rental website? Or is it just our discount on the regular dvd rental?

• Hoopylass
    • By Hoopylass 9th Apr 06, 8:32 PM
    • 881 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    im a nurse and i have used the nhs discounts site quite a few times, the best saving I got though was my laser eye surgery at a massive 50% discount! now that was one hell of a saving! :-)
  • doingwhatican
    Sony give their emploees quite a good discount on some goods, and we sometimes even get the option of buying the latest goods before they go to market ( but not always ) the best deal I got was on a Vaio laptop - I got a T1XP at over 50% off.
  • wyro
    i am a student and work part-time for beefeater, which is under the Whitbread umbrella.

I get 50% off beefeater food for me and 5 guests, 25% off TGI's, pizza hut, brewers faire, costa coffee

get money off centre parcs, BSM driving lessons, thorpe park/alton towers

its a pretty good discount, has saved my family hundreds, a meal for my family of four tends to come at less than £70, for 3courses each
  • Astaroth
    Working for a bank/ insurance company we get a silly amount of discounts:

Free package bank accounts
    Discounted loans/ mortgages/ credit cards
    Free share dealing
    25% discount off insurance
    Reduced cost car leasing
    Discount with suppliers such as Jessops, Dixons Group, Beaverbrooks, H Samuals
    Discount shopping voutchers for "high street" (which can be used in conjunction with the supplier discounts), Waitrose/ john lewis, Sainsburys, Tesco etc
    Discount from a number of stores that use our online card services
    Discounted holidays/ hotel stays
    Plus random discounts like broadband, telephone calls, driving lessons

Sure there are probably more but cant think off the top of my head.
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,682Posts Today

7,170Users online

Martin's Twitter