Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Employment, Jobseeking & Training > Job Seekers Allowance 13 Week Interview (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Job Seekers Allowance 13 Week Interview
Closed Thread
Views: 19,101
# 1
Bettyboop
Old 27-01-2009, 6:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Job Seekers Allowance 13 Week Interview

I have a meeting tomorrow at the Job Centre. Can someone tell me what to expect please? Do I have anything to worry about?

Thank you.

Last edited by Bettyboop; 27-01-2009 at 7:26 PM.
# 2
catmiaow
Old 27-01-2009, 6:09 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Only worry if you have not applied for any jobs. They want to see proof that you are applying for jobs such as rejection letters, emails or anything else you have to prove you have applied for jobs. If you have made the effort you have nothing to worry about.

They will go through this with you as well as anything else you can do to improve your chances of finding work. They will make up a new job seekers agreement as well.
No you're not a vegetarian if you eat any animal or fish, so do not insult genuine veggies by calling yourself one!

Please can I win big in 2014, pretty please
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catmiaow For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
livelyred
Old 27-01-2009, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettyboop View Post
I have a meeting tomorrow at the Job Centre. Can someone tell me what to expect please? Do I have anything to worry about?

Thank you?
I have been going to the job centre for parents interviews for about 2 years now,they just want to ask what you are doing at the moment work if any,are you looking for work,etc i had to find employment by the time my daughter is 12 which is in april i have just found a great job in the NHS for 20 hrs well they now leave me alone now.

Last edited by livelyred; 27-01-2009 at 6:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to livelyred For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
mvengemvenge
Old 27-01-2009, 10:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:

Thank you.
You should expect to widen your job search to at least three jobs and have a new Jobseeker's Agreement drawn up.
Fokking Fokk!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mvengemvenge For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
ruby_eskimo
Old 27-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

They might also want to see you on a weekly basis for a 6 weeks just to keep an extra eye on you. Just take everything you can with you to prove you've been looking for work. Lets hope your interview turns out better than mine did: ended up leaving in tears because was told that I was applying for jobs I felt I was qualified for (when I shouldn't...makes no sense) and I should take my degree off my CV (I didnt go to uni for 3 years for nothing!)
Debt Total - 412.47 :: Wedding Fund -11,050 / 10,000
Sealed Pot 2014 #24 :: VSP #29 - 43.23 :: NSD 2014 - 17 / 150
Weight Loss: 30.5 / 44lbs September GC - 0 / 200
Engaged 9th December 2010 Getting Married 29th October 2015
The Following User Says Thank You to ruby_eskimo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
laurenoioi
Old 27-01-2009, 11:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

As someone else said - nothing to worry about so long as you have proof that you've been 'actively seeking work'.
They'll just re new your job declarations and terms and condition etc and do a job search for you.
Should take about 30 mins max.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to laurenoioi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Phatmouse
Old 27-01-2009, 11:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

They will make you go every week for 6 weeks, this is apparently to help you find a job? Then you go back to fortnightly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phatmouse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
red devil
Old 28-01-2009, 10:43 AM

its crap all these interviews you go round and round in circles in some cases there is virtually no chance of you finding work but they keep on and on.

as long as someone else said you are looking though they cant do anything and keep on paying you.

If you arent signing on but are looking for a job there is no help they dont want to know!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to red devil For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Bettyboop
Old 28-01-2009, 7:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks everyone. The lady at the Job Cente was really nice. She basically wanted to know what I was doing to find work but she also admitted that the recession is effecting a lot of people and that it's much worse than what has been reported. Basically I think she was trying to say that given the economic situation they know finding work is becoming increasingly more difficult.

Thanks for the input anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bettyboop For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Phatmouse
Old 28-01-2009, 9:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Do you have to go every week for six weeks or did they just not like the look of me
# 11
Bettyboop
Old 29-01-2009, 6:03 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi,

The lady didn't say anything about going every week but I will probably be told next week when I have to go again.
# 12
tgon
Old 29-01-2009, 10:49 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I had mine on Monday. The guy was impressed with my efforts and sympathetic to my plight. After month and months of worrying if I'm doing enough its nice to have a little reassurance.
The Following User Says Thank You to tgon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Vancat
Old 29-01-2009, 10:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Dumb Down CV??

Funnily enough, at my signing on today, my (very nice) client advisor suggested that I take off my qualifications and "dumb down" my CV!!!!
No way! I didn't work 30 years in my field and finally get my full member status last year, through experience and proven skills, only to take it off my CV now I'm redundant!
I said, " But surely that's lying, and as bad as putting bogus qualifications on a CV?"...
"Yeh....Suppose so" she said!:confused:
I think JCP staff are only trying to help, and look increasingly stressed every time I go there. I must say they have been very pleasant so far, and keep saying that I am doing more than is expected in my job search (even though there have only been 4 or 5 jobs relevant for me to apply for in the last 12 weeks.)
I'm already taking a part time college course at weekends, trying to get additional qualifications to widen my job search, They didn't tell me to; I thought it would be a good idea as the courses started in Jan.
Hope that will be enough to satisfy them when I have my 13 week interview?
VC

Last edited by Vancat; 29-01-2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: typo
# 14
Kavanne
Old 29-01-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx B View Post
You'd likely end up in a job which would turn your brain to jelly
I resent the implication you need a degree to get an interesting/stimulating job
Kavanne
Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kavanne For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Happy Girl
Old 29-01-2009, 11:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancat View Post
Funnily enough, at my signing on today, my (very nice) client advisor suggested that I take off my qualifications and "dumb down" my CV!!!!
No way! I didn't work 30 years in my field and finally get my full member status last year, through experience and proven skills, only to take it off my CV now I'm redundant!
I said, " But surely that's lying, and as bad as putting bogus qualifications on a CV?"...
"Yeh....Suppose so" she said!:confused:
I think JCP staff are only trying to help, and look increasingly stressed every time I go there. I must say they have been very pleasant so far, and keep saying that I am doing more than is expected in my job search (even though there have only been 4 or 5 jobs relevant for me to apply for in the last 12 weeks.)
I'm already taking a part time college course at weekends, trying to get additional qualifications to widen my job search, They didn't tell me to; I thought it would be a good idea as the courses started in Jan.
Hope that will be enough to satisfy them when I have my 13 week interview?
VC
I'm a qualified Bookkeeper, but have been out of work for 2 months. My advisor seemed impressed when I took forms in for him to sign to get me funding for an OU course in a different subject area.

I think if you are out of work, it is worth taking the time to do any training, even if it is just general interest. You'll get it very cheap or free if on IB JSA, and it looks to JCP that you're expanding your skills which they like.

No way would I want to 'dumb down' my Cv though but I can sort of understand the suggestion. It's been said elsewhere on this board, that whilst you might be quite happy to take a job less than your previous one, just to have work, the employer will be looking long term and thinking that you will be off as soon as something better comes along
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Girl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
tgon
Old 30-01-2009, 12:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl View Post
It's been said elsewhere on this board, that whilst you might be quite happy to take a job less than your previous one, just to have work, the employer will be looking long term and thinking that you will be off as soon as something better comes along
Good point - this has happened to me recently
# 17
baileysbattlebus
Old 31-01-2009, 6:50 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It's not just JCP staff that want you to change your cv, I registered with a large agency.

I got a call from them saying they wanted to send my cv forward for a job and was it ok to remove all of the managerial experience from it!
# 18
VALM
Old 31-01-2009, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks everyone. The lady at the Job Cente was really nice. She basically wanted to know what I was doing to find work but she also admitted that the recession is effecting a lot of people and that it's much worse than what has been reported. Basically I think she was trying to say that given the economic situation they know finding work is becoming increasingly more difficult.

Thanks for the input anyway.
i'm not at this stage yet having only just got JSA however I found the adviser I saw had the same attitude that there is hardly anything out there and urged me not to apply for just anything and lose the skills I already have.

I had expected them to expect me to jump into any job. Not so.
# 19
ukdickie31
Old 31-01-2009, 1:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think that a degree of flexibility is needed in the current economic climate.

If everyone just looked for their 'normal job' then there may be a prolonged period of unemployment for those people.

As an example, the construction Industry is dead at the moment. Bricklayers and other construction related occupations are not recruiting. By continuing to look for vacancies that aren't there is pointless and only prolongs unemployment

Whilst JSA rules allow the normal type of employment to only be considered for the 'permitted period' (ie the 1st 13 weeks of a claim), at some point there is an expectation to do any job that a Jobseeker is physically and mentally able to do.

Surely it's better to be in work and earning than be living on JSA money.
The Following User Says Thank You to ukdickie31 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
cooky43
Old 12-02-2009, 11:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I too have been told by someone working for the JC to "not put my previous title down on my CV" - Director and "not to mention many of my qualifications " on there. I told her that I constituted this as lying and if I had to do this on an application form , if found out, it could be construed as false information and then be sacked from a job. I reported this to the JC Manager and was told " she has only been here 3 weeks and doesn't know that those are not the things to say" - i asked was there any jobs going .....
I really felt for her but tried to dumb down my skills for one job, attended an interview and when was asked questions, etc was told by the current Ops Director - " If I employed you, I would be out of a job in a week as they would promote you" . I cannot leave out what I have worked hard to achieve in 26 years. yes I want to work and have applied for 53 jobs since Oct after being made redundant and they are were definetely not all in my comfort zone, but I am forever being told I am over qualified - does anyone have any suggestions - ?????
The Following User Says Thank You to cooky43 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread