Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Charities > Donating old TV to charity? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Donating old TV to charity?
Views: 43,652
# 1
MissCB
Old 26-01-2009, 12:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Talking Donating old TV to charity?

Hi All,

We've been lucky enough to be given a new tv by our friends and want to donate the old one (perfect working order, 28") to charity. I know many many charities don't accept electricial goods anymore due to the time/cost involved in sorting them out but does anyone know of a charity that could find a use for it? preferably in the midlands area

Thanks
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
anniecave
Old 26-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I was told that it wasn't the time/cost of sorting them out, it was due to safety regulations. They would need to get them safety tested prior to selling them otherwise what would happen if the item blew up or something when the buyer plugged it in?

You could maybe sell it over ebay or ebid as buyer collects and then give the proceeeds less your selling fees to charity? Or actually I think you can sell items via the charity scheme on ebay and there are then no selling fees for you to pay.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
# 3
cattie
Old 26-01-2009, 12:53 PM

If you can't find a charity willing to take it then why not think of putting it on your local freecycle group, where I'm sure you'll get lots of offers from people in need of a new tv. www.freecycle.com

This is what I did with my old 28" tv recently & it went to an elderly lady who's own tv had given up the ghost after 15yrs.
The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cattie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
gemz20
Old 26-01-2009, 2:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Or u could advertise it on gumtree website to help somebody out that needs a tv
# 5
caroline1973lefty
Old 26-01-2009, 2:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

if there is a hostel of any kind near you then they might want it?
"The Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed" - Ghandi
The Following User Says Thank You to caroline1973lefty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Laura Ellis
Old 26-01-2009, 4:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I understand that the British Heart Foundation shops are able to accept donations of electrical goods - if you have one near you that could be a good option.
The Following User Says Thank You to Laura Ellis For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
soolin
Old 27-01-2009, 1:05 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I have 2 perfectly acceptable 15 inch TVs sitting here but no one will take them. I'm hoping that my local freecycle group will eventually allow my membership so I can put them on there.

I couldn't find any charity that was interested.
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
The Following User Says Thank You to soolin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
davetrousers
Old 27-01-2009, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Ellis View Post
I understand that the British Heart Foundation shops are able to accept donations of electrical goods - if you have one near you that could be a good option.
Yup British Heart Foundation do

The Following User Says Thank You to davetrousers For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Primrose
Old 27-01-2009, 2:23 PM

I believe Oxfam also have a number of furniture warehouses around the country and they may be prepared to collect it. Check their website for further information.
The Following User Says Thank You to Primrose For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Savvy_Sue
Old 27-01-2009, 7:16 PM

It's possible that if you have any local furniture recycling charities that they will be able to take it, rather than charity shops. A few shops have the facilities to deal with electricals, but most don't.
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

The Isle of Man is not as warm as the Canary Islands!
# 11
turtlemoose
Old 27-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

there's a charity shop in wolverhampton (sorry i can't remember the street name) - it's for premature babies and last time I was in there (about 3yrs ago?) they were accepting electricals ....sorry that I can't be more specific on the name/location! I think it has a blue teddy on the sign!
# 12
turtlemoose
Old 27-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

grr tried to edit my post but it won't let me....found the details of that shop....
Baby Blues Appeal

43, Victoria St, Wolverhampton, West Midlands WV1 3PJ
Tel: 01902 428859
# 13
Sue-UU
Old 28-01-2009, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetrousers View Post
Yup British Heart Foundation do
They certainly do!
Sealed Pot Challenge #001 PBs '08 163.95; '09 315.78; '10 518.80;'11 481.87; '12 694.53 '13 1.220.00! Grand Totals of all members 2008 uncounted; 2009 32.154.32! 2010 37.581.47! 2011 42.474.34! 2012 49.759.46! Grand Total for 2013 50.642.78!!
# 14
hmaffin
Old 12-06-2009, 12:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Need to do the same thing with a tv and computer - found this site while browsing :

http://www.charitychoice.co.uk/

Go to Goodwill Gallery and you can post a message about your item for a charity to contact you about.

HTH!
# 15
purply
Old 12-06-2009, 1:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

we donated our old tv at the weekend to the hospital ward my hubby works at. im sure most wards would take them even tho patients have TVs by their beds-staff could keep it in their staff room...?
I wish I was Kate Bush.
The Following User Says Thank You to purply For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Noggin the Nog
Old 18-06-2009, 10:08 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I agree that selling the TV on Ebay would be a good idea, particularly if you have a specific charity in mind that you want to benefit. You use the advanced listing option and Ebay refund the proportion of listing and final value fees that you are donating (i.e. if you are donating 100% of the final sale you will get 100% of the fees recredited, but not any Paypal fees). But be careful because if your item doesn't sell, you have to pay the listing fee in full as normal. There is a big range of charities set up on Ebay for you to donate to. Good luck! someone will be delighted to have your TV and to help charity at the same time, it is very kind of you to offer it.
# 17
Valli
Old 18-06-2009, 2:01 PM

Location: In a little cloud of optimism, playing the 'Glad Game' - Feel free to join in!

what about domestic violence victims...the worker I know said they'd have a DVD player I don't need.
Just waiting for her to come and pick it up!
Make two - and freeze one!
Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
The Following User Says Thank You to Valli For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
noonesperfect
Old 19-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

When I wanted to donate a perfectly good and barely used 15" portable tv/video to the BHF I was asked if it was black or silver. When told it was black they declined and said they had loads of black ones as they don't sell!!!!!

Somewhat stung I got in touch with the city's furniture/electrical store which helps needy people and they were very grateful I'm pleased to say. They would even have collected it......
# 19
rarrarrar
Old 22-06-2009, 7:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Old TV's and monitors can be difficult to give away via Freecycle so its not surprising that even the few charity shops which take Electricals ( only 6 Oxfam ones now do) are not keen on accepting them.

TVs count as special waste and cant go in the shops normal waste so disposing of unsold or non-working ones can be a problem.
# 20
pollysg
Old 23-06-2009, 5:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I am about to try Emmaus (mine is Gloucester, but google it with your nearest city name) - they take tvs as long as they have a remote and a scart socket.