Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking > PCN - Stopped to drop off passenger at bus stop (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
PCN - Stopped to drop off passenger at bus stop
Views: 18,622
# 1
ish
Old 23-01-2009, 5:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default PCN - Stopped to drop off passenger at bus stop

I have received a PCN from London Borough of Hounslow stating that i have contravened "(47) STOPPED ON A RESTRICTED BUS STOP OR STAND".

I just stopped at a bus stop to drop a friend, didnt wait. literally just stopped, he got out and i drove off. In the picture you can see my car steering right and my right signal on to confirm i am moving off.

I couldnt belive it and wondering if there is anything i can do, surely this must be allowed. Also note this is not a red line zone.

Can someone point me in the right direction on how i can appeal and what i can do.

Greatly Appreciated.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Crabman
Old 23-01-2009, 5:31 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hello ish, could you take a look at the welcome sticky on the main board and upload the PCN accordingly, so someone can take a look?
I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

# 4
robredz
Old 23-01-2009, 6:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You are on a sticky wicket here as only a bus can stop at a bus stop, even a taxi will get a ticket. Even police should not park or stop on a bus stop. Wardens have ticketed buses for stopping too long on a bus stop. LOL
# 5
Crabman
Old 23-01-2009, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robredz View Post
You are on a sticky wicket here as only a bus can stop at a bus stop, even a taxi will get a ticket. Even police should not park or stop on a bus stop. Wardens have ticketed buses for stopping too long on a bus stop. LOL
Among other things we're focusing on procedural improprieties on the PCN here, so until Neil B has had a chance to take a look it's probably best not to belittle the chances of a successful appeal.

The reason I'm posting this is because a similar comment a week or so ago caused the Appellant to panic, they paid the fine and consequently lost the right to appeal. Don't want that to happen again!
I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crabman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Neil B
Old 23-01-2009, 9:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
The reason I'm posting this is because a similar comment a week or so ago caused the Appellant to panic, they paid the fine and consequently lost the right to appeal. Don't want that to happen again!
Well said Sir!

Unfortunately I can't be of much help in this instance. Stopping on a bus stand/stop is a contravention at all times. For info though, unless an additional restriction applies, then, contrary to what someone said above, a taxi can.

A couple of minor errors on the PCN are so inconsequential they are of no use.

I could post similar to some we have seen on here and say - 'don't be stupid, of course you can't stop on a bus stop' - but I can't cos i suddenly realised that only a few months ago, before getting clued up, I would have also thought it was the most sensible place to stop!

The only possibilities remaining are failures of signage and road markings for the bus stop itself. Not unknown but would need pics.
-
# 7
TheBogsDollocks
Old 24-01-2009, 9:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Did the bus stop have the appropriate sign such as one of these

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/023113aj.gif

Many stops fail to have the appropriate sign accompanying the road marking so it's worth checking.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBogsDollocks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Bielzibub
Old 24-01-2009, 11:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ish View Post
I have received a PCN from London Borough of Hounslow stating that i have contravened "(47) STOPPED ON A RESTRICTED BUS STOP OR STAND".

I just stopped at a bus stop to drop a friend, didnt wait. literally just stopped, he got out and i drove off. In the picture you can see my car steering right and my right signal on to confirm i am moving off.

I couldnt belive it and wondering if there is anything i can do, surely this must be allowed. Also note this is not a red line zone.
Pay it. It's an absolute offence. Only a bus can stop in a restricted bus stop. You cannot stop there at all for any reason, even to drop someone off.
Bielzibub
# 9
pepperwhitemini
Old 24-01-2009, 11:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I would imagine the offence has been committed once you have stopped. If you were still moving even slowly when he got out (an impossibility really) you might have grounds for appeal - as it stands I think you will have to pay the fine.
# 10
Neil B
Old 24-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bielzibub View Post
Pay it. It's an absolute offence. Only a bus can stop in a restricted bus stop. You cannot stop there at all for any reason, even to drop someone off.
it is not an 'offence' at all.

Although the case does not look hopeful so far did you read 'Bogs'' post #7?

So much for 'money saving advice'!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neil B For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
TheBogsDollocks
Old 24-01-2009, 11:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It's only a contravention if all the legally prescribed signs and lines are in place. Along with my other link above the sign must accompany one of these bays.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/023113bd.gif

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/023113be.gif

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/023113bf.gif
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBogsDollocks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
TheBogsDollocks
Old 24-01-2009, 11:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Complete tosh..I advise you read the TSRGD 2002 schedule 19 part 1 and stop giving incorrect advice.
# 13
Bielzibub
Old 25-01-2009, 2:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

http://www.findleys.co.uk/highway_co...d_parking.html

Items in the HC code which state MUST or MUST NOT are backed up by an applicable section of the Road Traffic Act.
Bielzibub
# 14
Neil B
Old 25-01-2009, 3:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:

Items in the HC code which state MUST or MUST NOT are backed up by an applicable section of the Road Traffic Act.
You are entirely missing the point. You can make as much reference to the 'Highway Code Code' as you like, it must first be a bus stop - and it is not an offence in CPE which is applicable here.
-
# 15
peter_the_piper
Old 25-01-2009, 4:36 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I wonder if Clark Kent has found his way onto here?
Sorry, normal service will be resumed shortly.
# 16
TheBogsDollocks
Old 25-01-2009, 5:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:

You should read these sections and then you will learn that there are exceptions to the rule. For instance in the link, it says, you must not wait or park where there are yellow line restrictions, but we all know that you can for boarding and alighting or loading/unloading (where not prohibited) and other's such as BB holders parking up to 3 hours or on direction of a police officer.

So, as I said previously, it's complete tosh that you cannot park on a bus stop clearway for any reason. There are acceptable reasons, see paragraphs 4 & 5 in the link

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/20023113.htm#sch19

We are moving away from the issue of helping the OP. To get the PCN cancelled. it will depend on faulty paperwork or non compliant markings and signage or mitigating circumstances.

Last edited by TheBogsDollocks; 25-01-2009 at 5:10 PM.
# 17
Herve
Old 17-10-2011, 1:40 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Good afternoon,

I realise that this topic is quite old but I am in a similar situation with one twist. The area where the bus stop is has CCTV surveillance without signs to warn motorists.

I have the photos but they are clear cut, not sure they add to the debate. Dropping stuff at a charity shop. 1min 20' in bus stop. Probably had an off-day.

It seems presence of CCTV have to be displayed. Some variance in what I should/can do on the top of the signage requirement already made on this thread.

Should I pursue the route of "The IOC CCTV code of conduct states that warning signs should be placed where CCTV is in use. No such signs were in place in the location where this PCN was issued therefore it is invalid".

Previous experience welcome.

Thanks
# 18
wvpTV
Old 03-10-2012, 4:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Pausing to read the restrictions should be a valid defence, how else could you know what they are?

Many signs face the road, but small print can require a close inspection.

They say ignorance of the law is no excuse, OK, but don't fine me for finding out.
# 19
ManxRed
Old 03-10-2012, 4:44 PM

So would you drive through a red light unless there was a sign saying 'don't drive through red lights'?
Hi, weve had to remove your signature. If youre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youre still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
# 20
wvpTV
Old 03-10-2012, 4:58 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

No ManxRed of course not.

You seem to be missing the point that some restriction signs are impossible to read from the road way, thus fall into "inadequate signing", thus if PCN's are issued because you stopped to find out the restriction (and nothing else), the PCN should be cancelled.

There's some successful defences precisely on these grounds, Google the issues if you are interested.