Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Techie Stuff > Wireless problem (Dell Inspiron 1545) (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Wireless problem (Dell Inspiron 1545)
Closed Thread
Views: 76,356
# 1
LydiaJ
Old 22-01-2009, 9:54 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Question Wireless problem (Dell Inspiron 1545)

Hi All

I have a fairly new Dell Inspiron 1545. It's been working wirelessly without problems until recently, but now it says its wireless is disabled, and I can't work out how to enable it again.

I can see the icon with the red X in the notification area saying that wireles is disabled. If I right click and tell it to "enable radio" I get a message box saying "The Dell wireless WLAN card is still disabled. Slide the wireless ON/OFF switch to enable it." But I can't find a slide switch, and I didn't think the machine had one. I've tried pression Fn-F2, and holding them down for several seconds, but nothing happens. I've tried disconnecting everything and rebooting, but it doesn't help.

When I look in the help files under troubleshooting, I read that there's a "Disable Upon Wired Connect property" which I know I don't want. I occasionally take the machine into work, where I use it wired, and I don't want to keep having to reenable the wireless every time I take it home again. But the help files don't tell me how to deselect this option. I am (obviously) using it wired to type this plea for help, but I have been disconnecting the wired connection every time I try switching the wireless back on.

Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated. People on here have been so helpful to me in the past. Thank you very much.
[LydiaJ] ... seems to have her head screwed on... - wageslave
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LydiaJ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
LydiaJ
Old 22-01-2009, 10:36 PM

Thanks very much loaner.

I don't think there is a wireless light.

I've tried control panel ... wireless connection etc. It knows the name of my network, and says it's set to connect automatically. If I try to tell it to connect, it complains that it can't find any wireless networks.

If it's disabled in the bios, how do I change that please?

Thanks loads.
# 3
Phantom Flan Flinger
Old 22-01-2009, 10:41 PM

On the left hand side of the laptop, look closely at the rear near the hinge. There should be a little slide switch there which moves forward and backwards. It should have a little wireless symbol on it.
Dave.

Last edited by Phantom Flan Flinger; 22-01-2009 at 10:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phantom Flan Flinger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Bielzibub
Old 23-01-2009, 1:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert

If not, check the function keys (f1 to f12) and the icons in the little squares. If one of them looks like a wifi symbol, press the Fn button on the keyboard at the bottom at the same time as the function key with the symbol on.

Alternatively, go to Device Manager, expand network adapters, right click on the wifi one and select enable.
Bielzibub
The Following User Says Thank You to Bielzibub For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
LydiaJ
Old 23-01-2009, 8:35 AM

Thanks everyone.

It appears in device manager. It says it's working normally. If I right click it, "disable" appears in the list - implying it's enabled currently.

I've looked really carefully at the side of the machine and there really isn't a slide switch there. There's one on the Dell I have for work (can't remember the model but it's not an Inspiron), but not on my own one.

The wifi function key is F2. Pressing Fn-F2 doesn't do anything.

Still stuck :-(
# 6
peter_the_piper
Old 23-01-2009, 8:56 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Does the 1545 have the wireless ""pan pipes"" symbol on the right bottom task bar. On the 1501 if I double click it the utility comes up, is the radio enabled box clicked?
Sorry, normal service will be resumed shortly.
# 7
PsychoPingu
Old 23-01-2009, 8:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just had the same issue with my partner's parent's laptop. Got the solution - for some strange reason Dell reversed the function keys so what would have been Fn+F2 on older models is now F2.

So simply pressing the F2 key on its own (without the Fn key) should do the trick.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsychoPingu For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
bjohnson2828
Old 14-02-2009, 6:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

PsychoPingu! You are correct. I just purchased a Dell 1545 and by simply pressing the F2 key, my wireless enabled just fine.

Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to bjohnson2828 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
TechTiger
Old 23-08-2009, 4:18 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I just currently went looking for information about this particular issue, and found this site. After seeking to find said "slide switch" and couldn't find it, I found that the post regarding the F2 key was indeed correct.

While I'm not sure if the Fn key had anything to do with it, as it seemed to disable or enable without it (I think it's an activation of the icon), it worked. I suggest opening your network settings, and getting it to bring up the "card is disabled" message, and leave it open as you press the button. It should automatically refresh, stating it is enabled. This is what happened when I did this on my step-dad's Inspiron 1545.

Hope that helps.
# 10
ted45
Old 11-10-2009, 5:55 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Turning wireless on/off on Dell Inspiron

Laptop wireless went out when my kid hit a bunch of keys.

Running Ubuntu 8.10 on a Dell Inspiron 1545

Wireless button (F2 with the tower icon) did not work with the Fn button to turn the wireless on/off.

ultimate solution: hitting F2 once turns off the wireless connection; but to turn it back on requires holding down the F2 button for a long time, like 30 seconds or a minute
The Following User Says Thank You to ted45 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
coverguy
Old 30-11-2009, 4:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Ted45, your solution worked like a charm thank you so much!

At first when I read I was skeptical that why would Dell want a user to hold the F2 button for so long (plus 20 seconds atleast) but then realised that it worked. Pretty lame design by Dell.

I also tried pressing the F2 key and clicking Refresh available network and that seemed to work instantly, see if it works for you too?

Lydia thanks for posting the problem.
# 12
mikelbsd
Old 30-12-2009, 4:06 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I had the exact same problem as the OP. I spent hours trying to fix it including all suggestions on this thread and none worked. I have a Linksys 320n routher. On the back there is a small hole with "Reset" printed above it. Inside the hole is a small button. I pressed it with the tip of a pin and the problem immediately fixed itself.

Hope this helps someone.

Mike
# 13
mallard
Old 03-01-2010, 10:35 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for the information about the F2 switch. Got my daughter an inspiron for xmas and the wireless stopped working - usually i am okay with pc problems but this one foxed me yet the answer is so simple!! But what a daft setting as it is so easy to press the F2 by mistake! Anyway thanks for the info
# 14
fene
Old 14-02-2010, 6:20 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Thanks a lot....

I had this wireless problem 4m so many days saying wireless capability is turned off.. now its solved and i am very very happy.. :-)
# 15
Spudweiser3
Old 02-07-2010, 2:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Thanks!

Thanks a lot for your post! Saved me a few hundred in buying a new laptop! I had to repeat the process a few times and tried holding down Fn and then pressing F2, and tried holding F2 while I pressed refresh. Not sure what combination ended up working but it did, so Thanks!
-J
# 16
rudafris
Old 12-10-2010, 3:43 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs up Thanks

You are correct. Dell Inspirion 1545 wireless enabled just fine by simply pressing the F2 key only.

Thank you![/QUOTE]

Rudafris

Last edited by rudafris; 12-10-2010 at 3:45 AM. Reason: missing words
# 17
monisha677
Old 30-08-2012, 5:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default cannot make wireless connection

wireless light is not turning on even when i press fn-f2 key.but i checked in control panel and i have shown the message that "no connection is available" .what shall i do to get connected?please clarify
# 18
Figment
Old 31-08-2012, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monisha677 View Post
wireless light is not turning on even when i press fn-f2 key.but i checked in control panel and i have shown the message that "no connection is available" .what shall i do to get connected?please clarify

Press the F2 button on it's own
How do I add a signature?
Closed Thread