Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > how do i descale steam generator iron (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
how do i descale steam generator iron
Views: 62,250
# 1
redpandabear
Old 22-01-2009, 11:15 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default how do i descale steam generator iron

How doI descale steam generator iron.Mine is a couple of years old but the steam doesent come out as it used to, so think it needs descaling. Help anyone.
:confused:
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Pink.
Old 22-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Hi redpandabear,

This thread may help:

Does anyone know how to descale an iron?

I'll add your post to that one later to keep the replies together.

Pink
# 3
redpandabear
Old 22-01-2009, 11:35 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I did look on this thread, but it does not say the steam genorator type, as you put the water in a seperate chamber then it goes to the iron, and does not sit on the sole plate,so in theory should not block.
# 4
recovering spendaholic
Old 22-01-2009, 1:56 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I would be very interested to find out how to do this too - I have a steam generator and am finding the same thing - the steam is not as "fierce" as it was. I was thinking of putting some white vinegar in the water chamber but am afraid of ruining the whole thing.
Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
# 5
Nicki
Old 22-01-2009, 4:00 PM

I put some white vinegar and some water in the chamber of mine, switched it on to heat up, then pulsed steam through until the chamber was empty and wiped the soleplate clean. That seemed to work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nicki For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
trying-very-trying
Old 22-01-2009, 5:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've got one of these steam generator irons, but it has stopped giving out steam altogether although the soleplate still heats up. Do you think descaling it might help, or does it need repairing?
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

# 7
mum26
Old 22-01-2009, 8:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Mine needs to be cleaned out after every 10 uses, it is a tefal, I have to undo a screw in the side (which is under a white cap) pour in about a jugful of water (it did come with a tap attatchment but this does not fit my kitchen tap), do the screw up again and give it a gentle shake, then empty the water out, I do this until there is no more loose scale coming out x
# 8
harley1
Old 22-01-2009, 9:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi. Mine is a Tefal and I am supposed to descale it once every 10 uses. (ooops)

Anyway, it came with a pipe and tap attachment that you use to flush the machine through. Seem to remember I made a real mess when I tried it last, but since it is leaking brownish scaly stuff I guess it's time to do it again. If I can find the pipe thingy I'll try to give a more accurate description

HTH
Harley x
# 9
harley1
Old 22-01-2009, 9:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Blimey, found it straight away. Think that's a first in my house

It's about a 2ft long clear plastic tube with a tap attachment at one end (which doesn't look like it's going to fit on my new tap either) and a plastic casing at the other which fits into the side of the base.

Looks like I'll be trying mum26's way if I can't force the rubber bit over the tap

Harley x
# 10
redpandabear
Old 23-01-2009, 10:17 AM
MoneySaving Convert

how much white vinegar and if this is mixed with water in what parts, should i put in its chamber, as mine does not have this tap thing. thanks
# 11
redpandabear
Old 02-02-2009, 9:06 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I tried with half water half vinegar, this seamed to work, but i cant get rid of the vinegar smell when i use the iron, hopefully this will go after a few uses.
# 12
MoneySavingUser
Old 07-03-2011, 2:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Problem with iron

I have this Kenwood Iron: http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...wood-st706.jpg

no longer under warranty - IIRC it was a cheap iron but would like to know if it can be fixed

It was working fine - but then one day it wasn't giving out steam by itself - I pressed the manual steam button and it was very hard to press down whilst usually it is easy to press

I have to press it down now with a lot of force and steam doesn't actually come out

I think it might be blocked/need cleaning

The manual had instructions for cleaning: filling it up with water, letting it warm up and holding it over the sink - this didn't seem to have any effect

does anyone have any suggestions?
# 13
BitterAndTwisted
Old 07-03-2011, 2:14 PM

Yep, chuck some vinegar in it and iron something not precious, like a tea-towel using the steambutton until the reservoir is empty. Then flush with clean water
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BitterAndTwisted For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
fiscalfreckles
Old 07-03-2011, 2:15 PM

you could try descaling it?

Do what you did (ie fill, heat up and empty over sink) but with descaler added to the water - or I believe you can also use vinegar, though I haven't tried that myself as I was worried it would make the iron smell!
The Following User Says Thank You to fiscalfreckles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
BitterAndTwisted
Old 07-03-2011, 2:17 PM

All steam irons will give up the ghost eventually if you don't either used distilled water or descale it regularly
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BitterAndTwisted For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
LJM
Old 07-03-2011, 9:34 PM

Location: in a very happy place with the most fantastic family

i use vinegar in mine all the time same as in my washing machine as long as you rinse through ive never had a problem with smell and it is suprising just how much gunk comes out.
Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life
The Following User Says Thank You to LJM For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
cyclingyorkie
Old 07-03-2011, 9:37 PM

Indeed - regular desacaling is necessary - at least it is here! Is your water hard or soft?
Flylady and proud of it
# 18
Pink.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:33 PM

Hi MoneySavingUser,

I've added your thread to the existing one which has advice on descaling an iron.

Pink
# 19
map11
Old 01-08-2011, 5:26 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Exclamation how to decalc a steam generator iron

Hi Guys - I have researched this and spoken to manufacturers and NONE of them we say that you can . My Phillips steam generator iron was not producing steam and instead blowing dirty water and lots of very WET steam infact puddles of water !!!. It is 4 years old and out of warranty so what the heck and in went OUST water descaler. I left it for 10 mins and then washed it thorugh 4 or 5 times and ran several tanks of steam through. For the first few uses it did smell of Oust BUT after 2 weeks it now works fine and my iron no longer spits out water all the time !! I do live in Norfolk (UK) and we do have really hard water but this really did work - I hope this helps !!
Mark :-)
# 20
bovario
Old 03-02-2012, 2:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying-very-trying View Post
I've got one of these steam generator irons, but it has stopped giving out steam altogether although the soleplate still heats up. Do you think descaling it might help, or does it need repairing?
Not always blockage cause problem. I fixed many steam generator irons.
Make sure that you still hear pump as used to do.
If hose from base to iron is cold water pump need to replaced, if hose is hot - blocked pipe in the iron "elbow" feeding steam to the soleplate.

Pump can buy here:
bargains-zone.co.uk/en/small-electricals-spares/10-steam-generator-iron-water-pump-replacement.html

Last edited by bovario; 20-10-2013 at 11:09 PM.