Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > I wanna buy-it or do-it > Taking your own food/drink to cinema (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Taking your own food/drink to cinema
Closed Thread
Views: 8,070
# 1
WOW Factor 0
martyp
Old 20-01-2009, 10:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Taking your own food/drink to cinema

Has anyone done this? The last couple of times I've paid 5.80 for a huge container of popcorn and huge coke but wonder about sneaking in food/drink.

Thing is, can they stop you or kick you out for doing that?

Interested to know if anyone has any stories related to doing this...
The Following User Says Thank You to martyp For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
blue_monkey
Old 20-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

It depends on where you go. On Saturday we went to a small local one and walked with the the kids own little bags of sweets, I also had a bag with some biscuits in. But I went to Cineworld and they check your bags and if you have stuff in them they take your bags away. I've seen this happen a few times where people get their bags taken. I refused to let mine be searched but they have signs everywhere

Tip: Big inside pockets. They cannot search you in person as you could claim they touched you. Put what you need in the inside pockets and keep your coat closed until you get in.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blue_monkey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
helping_hubby
Old 20-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I always take my own food and drink, but stash it in OHs pockets and in my bag. I also try and think twice about worrying about food and drink as it's only for a couple of hours, but somehow the cinema just isn't the same without some snacks.

I go to Vue and Odeon.

The Following User Says Thank You to helping_hubby For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
hamstercheeks
Old 20-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

all the time!

wdnt pay their prices

usually everyone has a fruit shoot on their person and i have the sweets/snax in my bag and pockets

tis expensive enough these days just paying for the film

we never get searched
Time is the best teacher
Shame it kills all the students
************************************************** *****************************************
The Following User Says Thank You to hamstercheeks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
geordie joe
Old 20-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I was born in 1959 and remember my dad taking me to the cinema every saturday from when I was very young.

Every week my mum gave me money and told me to get what I wanted at the sweet shop on the way, as I was NOT getting anything once I was inside the cinema.

To this day I have never bought anything inside a cinema. I always take in what i want to eat or drink. My three grown up kids do the same with their kids.

I've never been stopped, or had a problem with taking my own "food and drink" into a cinema, although I haven't been to one for three years.

Even if the management didn't like it, I'd rather face them than run the risk of my mother digging her way out of her grave and grabbing me by the shoulder and shouting "What have I told you about buying stuff in the cinema".
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geordie joe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
blue_monkey
Old 21-01-2009, 9:33 AM

The little one I have found charges 1.50 for kids and free adults on a Saturday morning. It is great. We have not been to the cinema in 3 years because my son is AS and he usually wants to leave and starts kicking off, but as it is kids club no-one minds as other kids are usually making a noise and it is just wonderful for us. This week we paid a whopping 7.40 for admission for 2 kids, 2 adults, 2 drinks and 2 boxes of popcorn!! We saw Bedtime Stories and the week before Madagascar 2. This is our little Saturday treat now and it gets my son used to the cinema, I could not take him on my own, he needs to have and supervision so it is great that should we have to take him out I've not been charged 6 for getting him in!

Some of the smaller cinemas might not be all flashing lights and whistles but they show the same films for great value. There are signs saying 'no food' but they never seem to check.
# 7
linni
Old 21-01-2009, 9:38 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We do it all the time.. Their prices are horrendous. We just take a small rucksack or large pockets and just wait till the lights go out!!
# 8
moneypooh
Old 21-01-2009, 9:39 AM

If your cinema is in town, just pop into a food store beforehand and buy a few items (only if you need them first), put your stash in with it and they can't say a thing! They can't take your shopping away Walking in with a McDonalds might be a bit obvious though
# 9
onetomany
Old 21-01-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_monkey View Post
The little one I have found charges 1.50 for kids and free adults on a Saturday morning. It is great. We have not been to the cinema in 3 years because my son is AS and he usually wants to leave and starts kicking off, but as it is kids club no-one minds as other kids are usually making a noise and it is just wonderful for us. This week we paid a whopping 7.40 for admission for 2 kids, 2 adults, 2 drinks and 2 boxes of popcorn!! We saw Bedtime Stories and the week before Madagascar 2. This is our little Saturday treat now and it gets my son used to the cinema, I could not take him on my own, he needs to have and supervision so it is great that should we have to take him out I've not been charged 6 for getting him in!

Some of the smaller cinemas might not be all flashing lights and whistles but they show the same films for great value. There are signs saying 'no food' but they never seem to check.
do you know hun you can get a cea card hun if you are on dla? it entails whoever takes the named person to the cinema free entry, i use it for my son and yes we take our own sweets in www.ceacard.co.uk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onetomany For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
nomoneytoday
Old 21-01-2009, 11:40 AM

Cineworld near me ban hot food, but don't care if you have a packet of sweets or can of coke with you
# 11
Jelliebeen
Old 21-01-2009, 12:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I always do - I was amazed to see that a drink and popcorn 'deal' costs over 6 at my local cinema. Once the lights are out noone is going to come and apprehend you for eating smuggled in goods. Just keep them in your bag on the way in and don't declare your money saving expertise to all and sundry!

It is completely unacceptable for people to search your bags for food and drink - as far as they are concerned you could have been carrying it around in there for ages and they can't prove otherwise, can they?!
# 12
robin banks
Old 21-01-2009, 1:00 PM

I always take stuff in with me, always.

If Cineworld asked to check my bags, i'd be inclined to walk out, head to a supermarket spend 100.00 on food, go back get a ticket and settle down and wtach a show.

When asked about searching my bags, yes of course, I assume you will be checking all the bags and wil be willing to complete a full inventory of all the contents. Of course I expect that they will issue me with a reciept for said items.
And of course requesting items be refrigerated where appropriate.

Should cineworld be happy to do this, then I would be more than happy to sit down in one of thier cinemas and enjoy the show.
"To Hell with Poverty, we'll get drunk on cheap wine"
# 13
Chutzpah
Old 21-01-2009, 1:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

My wife has an SIA badge (security industry authority) and if I've understood her previously in the past they would have no right to demand to search your bag, only the police can do that (i.e. it will be voluntary).

But if you didn't agree to your bag being searched they would be within their rights not to admit you.

Agree about the general cost of food and drink in cinemas though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chutzpah For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
PolishBigSpender
Old 21-01-2009, 1:12 PM

You do realise that at this time, it's exceptionally selfish to not purchase food in the cinema? Very little, if any of the ticket price will go to the cinema - most/all of their profit is made from additional merchandise such as food and drink.

But then again, I guess you people will be the first to complain when the cinema in your hometown closes down.

What kind of example is it to set to your children when the rules clearly state "No food and drink", yet you willfully encourage them to break the rules?
From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
sitting on the floor.
Their
books are lying on the floor.
The books are sitting just there on the floor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PolishBigSpender For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
mymatebob
Old 21-01-2009, 1:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishBigSpender View Post
You do realise that at this time, it's exceptionally selfish to not purchase food in the cinema? Very little, if any of the ticket price will go to the cinema - most/all of their profit is made from additional merchandise such as food and drink.

But then again, I guess you people will be the first to complain when the cinema in your hometown closes down.

What kind of example is it to set to your children when the rules clearly state "No food and drink", yet you willfully encourage them to break the rules?
This from the Cineworld site in the T & C

Cineworld have a strict NO FOOD AND DRINK policy. We reserve the right to refuse customers entry into the screens with food or drink bought outside the premises. All our cinemas display the necessary signage, advising customers of this policy.
As a food operator we offer a wide range of drinks and snacks to satisfy our customers but also protect our cinema furnishings and customers clothing. Not all movie-goers are considerate of others in their snack choices and we have needed to set clearer guidelines on what is appropriate.

Wonder how many actually enforce it? And I suppose their soft drinks, when spilled, don't produce a sticky mess, unlike shop bought ones?
The Following User Says Thank You to mymatebob For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
robin banks
Old 21-01-2009, 1:22 PM

I happen to think it's exceptionally mean spirited and cynical of cinemas to charge 3.00 for syrup and carbonated water with an unfeasible amount of ice thrown in for good measure.
"To Hell with Poverty, we'll get drunk on cheap wine"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robin banks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
PolishBigSpender
Old 21-01-2009, 1:25 PM

So there you go, it's in the terms and conditions.

Of course, they should just catch a few people who take in outside food and drink and throw them out without refund. It would be particularly satisfying if they hired some qualified security to conduct searches, especially if it was made clear that being caught on the premises with outside purchased food/drink would result in being asked to leave the premises.

edit : Mean spirited and cynical? No, it really isn't. They're a business. They exist to make money.

If they charged 'high street' prices for food and drink, they would soon be out of business. It's that simple.
From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
sitting on the floor.
Their
books are lying on the floor.
The books are sitting just there on the floor.

Last edited by PolishBigSpender; 21-01-2009 at 1:29 PM.
# 18
sarah1980
Old 21-01-2009, 1:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My MIL actually took a McDonalds meal in with her (Lords knows why! I think she'd come straight from work and had no time to eat beforehand). SHe managed to sit down in the cinema, film started and about 10 mins in she got thrown out! Must have been the projectionist cos she and her OH were the only ones in there.

I wouldn't personally be happy with stinky McDonalds food spoiling my enjoyment of the film, but a bag of sweets is OK.
# 19
Energize
Old 21-01-2009, 1:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Thing is, can they stop you or kick you out for doing that?
They don't need a reason to kick you out, you are on their property. Though if they did they would lose loads of money so they tend not to, the local vue don't seem to care about whatever you bring in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_monkey View Post
But I went to Cineworld and they check your bags and if you have stuff in them they take your bags away.
That's illegal, they can't steal your bags from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishBigSpender View Post
You do realise that at this time, it's exceptionally selfish to not purchase food in the cinema?
Selfish? It's business, the seller with the best price gets the sales, customers are not a chraity, if you can't compete you die. In a time of recession people are less likely to buy food from the cinema than ever.

Last edited by Energize; 21-01-2009 at 1:48 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Energize For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
omelette451
Old 21-01-2009, 1:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I would never buy food from the cinema itself, mostly because it's overpriced junk. In any case, if they take bags away from people, surely it would be so very easy to complain to the manager later that something valuable had been stolen from it?

I personally go to art-house Picturehouses if possible, where there is a distinct lack of rustling, slurping, and popcorn-throwing, as people presumably have more of an appreciation of why they went to a cinema in the first place.
The Following User Says Thank You to omelette451 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread