Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > JSA stopping after 6 months as married (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
JSA stopping after 6 months as married
Closed Thread
Views: 3,151
# 1
redundancy survivor
Old 19-01-2009, 6:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question JSA stopping after 6 months as married

Hi there

I have been made redundant last year and like many others have been to countless recruitment agencies and applied for a lot of jobs! no luck yet and I am now worried as I have been told my JSA will stop after 6 months because my Husband works full time. Even though 60.5 is not a lot of money it actually covers the repayment of one of our loans. As I understand any further benefits after 6 months will be means tested, does anyone know if they take into account loan repayments?
# 2
healy
Old 19-01-2009, 6:10 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Loan repayments are not taken into account.
The Following User Says Thank You to healy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
redundancy survivor
Old 19-01-2009, 6:15 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Many thanks!

Dissapointed but not surprised, it would be a wonderfull thing if it was possible to survive on one persons wages. But in this day and age there is no such thing as the breadwinner for most households. It seems a bit silly that you are actually better of single in a lot of cases.
The Following User Says Thank You to redundancy survivor For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
atomicsheep
Old 19-01-2009, 8:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i guess the government will never cover your personal loans for obvious reasons. How much does your partner ean roughly?
# 5
Damzel_In_Distress
Old 19-01-2009, 8:35 PM

Why is it not possible to survive on one persons wage? more than half the families i no do this and always have. Why should you get jsa for long periods when there is someone working in your house hold?? :confused: your lucky really cause they never used to offer anything at all if you were living with someone nevermind married.

Loans are not taken into account cause taking out a loan is your own personal debt that you chose to get into....if they start handing out jsa to pay peoples loans off,everyone would be doing it :rolleyes:
Having a coke with you
is even more fun than going to San Sebastian, Irun, Hendaye, Biarritz, Bayonne
or being sick to my stomach on the Travesera de Gracia in Barcelona

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damzel_In_Distress For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
bunny999
Old 19-01-2009, 11:01 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

[quote=redundancy survivor;17853123]Many thanks!

Dissapointed but not surprised, it would be a wonderfull thing if it was possible to survive on one persons wages. But in this day and age there is no such thing as the breadwinner for most households. It seems a bit silly that you are actually better of single in a lot of cases.[/quote]

If you were single you would be living on 60.50 a week.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bunny999 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
OrkneyStar
Old 20-01-2009, 10:00 AM

Presumably the 60.50 a week was CONTRIBUTION BASED JSA, which you would get if you had enough NI contributions in the past, irrespective of your husbands income. After this 6 months you automatically move on to INCOME BASED JSA, whereupon the total household income is counted. If your husband earns much then you will no longer be entitled to JSA. You cannot conclude you would be 'better of single' really as although you would get certain means tested benefits, you would not have your husbands contribtion, financial or otherwise. As for paying loans, why on earth would/should a state benefit take into account your debts ? You chose to enter into a credit agreement and should always think about whether you could afford it should your income drop (this might sound harsh but tbh it is reality!). The only 'debt' that is serviced in this way is a mortgage (and even then there are rules and limits- which I don't know the ins and outs of).
I hope this explains things a bit.
And if our God is for us then who can stand against?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OrkneyStar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
pukkamum
Old 20-01-2009, 12:46 PM

Well we are surviving on one (not very high wage) you chose to get in debt and now you want the government to pay it off for you????
The mind boggles?????
I don't get nearly enough credit for not being a violent psychopath.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pukkamum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
subsoniccoyote
Old 20-01-2009, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redundancy survivor View Post
Many thanks!

Dissapointed but not surprised, it would be a wonderfull thing if it was possible to survive on one persons wages. But in this day and age there is no such thing as the breadwinner for most households. It seems a bit silly that you are actually better of single in a lot of cases.
Silly comment.

Everyone else, why so aggressive towards a new member of the forums?

Daft comment to make but some of the replies aren't called for.

The forums are for help and assistance not to judge.

The OP is obviously a bit worried about losing almost 250 a month so maybe show a little understanding/compassion?
The Following User Says Thank You to subsoniccoyote For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Becles
Old 20-01-2009, 6:27 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Do you have any loan payment protection insurance that you can claim on to cover the repayment?

Just thought I'd mention it as sometimes people forget they have it, especially if it is all rolled into the one monthly payment.
Here I go again on my own....
# 11
woodbine
Old 20-01-2009, 9:47 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damzel_In_Distress View Post
Why is it not possible to survive on one persons wage? more than half the families i no do this and always have. Why should you get jsa for long periods when there is someone working in your house hold?? :confused: your lucky really cause they never used to offer anything at all if you were living with someone nevermind married.

Loans are not taken into account cause taking out a loan is your own personal debt that you chose to get into....if they start handing out jsa to pay peoples loans off,everyone would be doing it :rolleyes:
And so endeth the first lesson
~~~JOHN~~~

The Following User Says Thank You to woodbine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
BillytheFish
Old 21-01-2009, 6:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Actually, not so silly comment!

I live with my girlfriend. We haven't been together that long but decided to move in together as house-sharing is the only option on our (previous) incomes in London. We thought that as we were going to share with other people, we may as well share with each other.

Our finances are totally separate.

I was made redundant, have been for over 6 months, and now the JSA payments have stopped. I cannot claim income based JSA due to my girlfriend's income and savings. Whilst I was able to claim contributions based JSA, I couldn't claim housing benefits due to my girlfriend's income and savings.

Try telling me that I wouldnt' be better off financially if I were single. Go on, I dare ya! :rolleyes:
# 13
kitschkitty
Old 21-01-2009, 6:51 PM

But working partners can claim working tax credits in many cases.
A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to kitschkitty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Ditzy
Old 23-01-2009, 10:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillytheFish View Post
Actually, not so silly comment!

I live with my girlfriend. We haven't been together that long but decided to move in together as house-sharing is the only option on our (previous) incomes in London. We thought that as we were going to share with other people, we may as well share with each other.

Our finances are totally separate.

I was made redundant, have been for over 6 months, and now the JSA payments have stopped. I cannot claim income based JSA due to my girlfriend's income and savings. Whilst I was able to claim contributions based JSA, I couldn't claim housing benefits due to my girlfriend's income and savings.

Try telling me that I wouldnt' be better off financially if I were single. Go on, I dare ya! :rolleyes:
Most benefits are based on the old fashioned thinking that if you were married or living as if you were married that your spouse/ptnr would financially support you. I understand some couples choose to keep finances separate but it is about whom is ultimately responsible to financially support you -- partner or the state?

Last edited by Ditzy; 23-01-2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Punctuation!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ditzy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread