Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Disability & Dosh > Disability Premium -who qualifies? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Disability Premium -who qualifies?
Closed Thread
Views: 36,247
# 1
cazziej
Old 17-01-2009, 10:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Disability Premium -who qualifies?

Hello, I have tried looking for the answer on a few websites but am going round in circles, so hoping some kind soul here could explain/help me to understand.

I am trying to work out if my husband should be entitled to Disability Premium.

He has been on IB and DLA for more than a year now. The last correspondence I can find regarding his IB is from February 2008 and says the following: Basic Rate 84.50, Incapacity Age Addition 8.90, the amount each week before adjustments is 93.40. He gets paid 186.80 each fortnight. His DLA is 187 every 4 weeks.

Am I right in assuming that he should then also be entitled to Disability Premium? :confused: From what I can make out he might, because he is on higher rate DLA and has been receiving these benefits for more than 52 weeks. Does anybody know how much this is and how he should apply, i.e. via his DLA or via his IB?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Carol.
# 2
judexx
Old 17-01-2009, 11:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

As far as I recall, the Disability Premium is applied to Income Support and Housing/Council tax benefit. If you are in receipt of any of these it will be calculated automatically - it is not something that you have to apply for.

HTH

Jude
The Following User Says Thank You to judexx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
cazziej
Old 17-01-2009, 11:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by judexx View Post
As far as I recall, the Disability Premium is applied to Income Support and Housing/Council tax benefit. If you are in receipt of any of these it will be calculated automatically - it is not something that you have to apply for.

HTH

Jude
Thanks Jude - we dont get IS or HB/CTB so I guess it is a no no.

Best wishes

Carol
# 4
pipkin71
Old 18-01-2009, 4:04 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

My disability premium is added to income support rather than DLA, so jude is probably right in that IS is the quaifying factor.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall

Confucius
The Following User Says Thank You to pipkin71 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
HGLTsuperstar
Old 19-01-2009, 8:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Agree - if you're not eligible for IB then you get IS with disability premium so the total amounts are about the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to HGLTsuperstar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Dobiesmon
Old 19-01-2009, 11:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi HGLTsuperstar
(Agree - if you're not eligible for IB then you get IS with disability premium so the total amounts are about the same.)

Not to sure if that is correct there is a difference my friends girl gets DLA , IS with a disability premium, gets the cold weather payments ,does not pay rent, free meds scrips and free eye tests .

my son gets DLA and IB but has to pay rent ,pays for his scrips and does not get cold weather payments , or free eye tests
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dobiesmon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
black paw
Old 20-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

mad isn't it ? i get DLA and IB and IIB, but to pay some towards tax ,rent ,pays for prescriptions and does not get cold weather payments , or free eye tests , i think those on IB and more should get the same as IS as the money is about the same
the truth is out there ... on these pages !!
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to black paw For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
HGLTsuperstar
Old 20-01-2009, 8:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobiesmon View Post
Hi HGLTsuperstar
(Agree - if you're not eligible for IB then you get IS with disability premium so the total amounts are about the same.)

Not to sure if that is correct there is a difference my friends girl gets DLA , IS with a disability premium, gets the cold weather payments ,does not pay rent, free meds scrips and free eye tests .

my son gets DLA and IB but has to pay rent ,pays for his scrips and does not get cold weather payments , or free eye tests
I was referring to the direct payment not the "perks" of one benefit over another - don't get me started on that one!
The Following User Says Thank You to HGLTsuperstar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Ames
Old 20-01-2009, 8:47 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

They changed the system and brought in IB so that people wouldn't get those benefits, cutting costs by the back door.

Have you applied for IS/HB/CTB since getting the higher DLA award? Sometimes you're entitled to it then because the amount the law says you need to live on is higher with the higher rates of DLA and so you can become entitled. They don't automatically tell you though!
Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ames For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
stompin-sarah
Old 21-01-2009, 1:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i get the premium and i get it with my IS so i pressume if you get IS thats when you can get the premium?

however i wasnt getting this at 1st.... it was only when i had a benefit check that they realised they wasnt giving it me and they should have been for the past 3 years! they then owed me a massive total of 4000.00
# 11
bjorky
Old 26-01-2009, 10:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default hi

Hi, you can go for income Support Top Up if your on middle or higher rate dla, your husband is on the higher rate of IB and has a portion of disability in it, he wont get the disability if your on IB am affraid, contact the First Benefit Contact centre who will help you with top up, you have nothing to lose, its easy and done over the phone, its number is 0800 055 6688. Try it
# 12
yangtam2
Old 28-01-2009, 10:21 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi
I have read your question.
I get what your husband gets, but also get the disability premium.
Have you applied for Income Support as what you are talking about comes under this heading, i get it as i am on my own so not sure if you can if they take into acccount anything you have coming in as his spouse.
As with all benefits they wont tell if you dont ask so i would apply for the income support as there is no harm in trying.
If you are entitled to income support then there is the posibility for interest payments on your morgage after 39 weeks but i cant say you would definately get this as each case is different.
I hope this helps
Sarah
# 13
aimee0763
Old 28-01-2009, 8:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default disability premuim

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompin-sarah View Post
i get the premium and i get it with my IS so i pressume if you get IS thats when you can get the premium?

however i wasnt getting this at 1st.... it was only when i had a benefit check that they realised they wasnt giving it me and they should have been for the past 3 years! they then owed me a massive total of 4000.00

Hi Sarah,

I've just noticed your thread, I am on Income Support and at the moment trying to claim for dla, well i have a dla appeal at the beginnning of march due to my health conditions which i have a few. I was wondering if i could claim for the Disability Premuim whilst waiting for my appeal, my doctor is very helpful and she is willing to help me with any certificate i need. Could you please tell me a bit more about the disability premuim how i can claim for it.

Your reply would be much appreciated.

many thanks in advance

aimee
# 14
HGLTsuperstar
Old 29-01-2009, 8:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The disabliity premium is for those who get rejected for IB and awarded IS instead.
# 15
bored at home
Old 19-02-2009, 4:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

aimee no you cant.
you have to provide your dla award certificate before you can get awarded the disability premium, but it gets backdated to when dla is awarded from anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to bored at home For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
bjorky
Old 23-02-2009, 10:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

You can only qualify for it if on MIDDLE rate DLA, its dosent matter if you have any disabilty on your incapacity benefit, i called up cause i was told i would get it but after 30 mins on the phone and telling the lady i was on lower rate, i got a letter telling me to sign it and sent it back but i was told by mistake on the phone saying i wouldnt get it, i hope you are successful in the outcome.
# 17
EthelBloggs
Old 23-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Location: On a Star That I Can't Reach... Somewhere out there..

This is a bit baffling to me. I was sent a form to apply for severe disability premium I think it was called.. anyway, I forgot all about and only sent it when they sent me a reminder but now 5 weeks later I've heard nothing either way.. is that normal do you think or should I chase them?
☆ gr cT pn ☆
Murphys no more pies club Member #41
12 stone down!
Tiff Appreciation Society Member #2

# 18
Salfordian
Old 23-02-2009, 10:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

There are two premiums, both paid to people on Income Support:

1. Disability Premium, payable to any Income Support customer who receives DLA, or who has been sick for over 1 year.

2. Severe Disability Premium (SDP) (currently equivalent to 2600 per year), payable only to Income Support customers who are on DLA at the Middle or Higher Rate Care Component . There are other criteria you need to meet, including living alone, or treated as living alone, or living with others on DLA Middle or Higher Rate Care Component. Another criteria is that you must not have a carer receiving Carer's Allowance for caring for you.

To ensure you are recieving what you are entitled to:

1. Claim Income Support.
2. Make sure Income Support are aware you are on DLA, and the rates you are on. For the SDP, ask for an IS10 form.
The Following User Says Thank You to Salfordian For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
EthelBloggs
Old 23-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Location: On a Star That I Can't Reach... Somewhere out there..

Thanks salfordian, based on those criteria I DO qualify, just wonderng if it's normal to take such a long time to process
☆ gr cT pn ☆
Murphys no more pies club Member #41
12 stone down!
Tiff Appreciation Society Member #2

# 20
Andy054
Old 23-03-2010, 9:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Incapacity Benefit - long term rate

If am on incapacity benefit long term rate, can I claim disability premium on top of my incapacity benefit?

I do not currently claim income support, I presume I will have to ring up and make a claim for income support to receive disability premium.

I also have been on incapacity benefit long term rate for over a year, so if I do qualify for disability premium will it be back dated?
Closed Thread