Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Sky Talk Now Offering Free Phone Line Connection. (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Sky Talk Now Offering Free Phone Line Connection.
Closed Thread
Views: 8,046
# 1
jhp
Old 17-01-2009, 2:52 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Sky Talk Now Offering Free Phone Line Connection.

As well as the 3 months Free Line Rental you get if you take Sky Talk with Broadband.Sky now say:

"Sky Talk Line Rental is exclusively available to Sky TV customers with a Sky Talk package and a BT compatible line. New Sky customers who don't currently have a BT compatible line may be able to get one installed through Sky. Please call 08442 411 076 for details.

The cost of installing a new line is free for new customers but if customers miss their agreed appointment date and need to arrange for a second installation then the customer may be charged 105."

http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skyco...alk/linerental

Last edited by jhp; 17-01-2009 at 2:57 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jhp For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
iceburn
Old 17-01-2009, 5:45 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My dad is in the process of doing that right now, and is transferring his number and broadband as well. It will take upto 6 weeks, but until then the sky tv get installed and use the talktalk line. But they have to put a new socket in when they do come and put the skyline in. But I am happy no more late calls from dad saying the internet is down!!!!
# 3
latecomer
Old 19-01-2009, 2:28 PM

I'm considering changing from cable back to a BT line so that could be a great offer for us. Need to do some more homework on the costs though.
# 4
colin13
Old 19-01-2009, 3:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

U acan now pay AOL the line rental 10.50 to them instead of BT if u have phone package with them ,thinking about this any body any ideas if this is good or bad
# 5
latecomer
Old 19-01-2009, 3:58 PM

but you need to have a BT line and they dont seem to do any deals on the connection. AOL used to have a horrendous reputation as a broadband provider although I'm not sure what they are like these days.
The Following User Says Thank You to latecomer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
stormo
Old 19-01-2009, 4:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Sorry for posting this on 2 different threads but.............

Does anyone know if the line connection is open to existing SKY customers who are new to the telephone side of it?

I rang them before Xmas and they said it was for new customers only so we had to go to BT (even said no to the post office!!)
# 7
Quentin
Old 19-01-2009, 4:20 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Whoever told you "no" to getting the post office to instal the line said it in ignorance.

If you get the line installed by BT you are stuck in a minimum 12 month contract with them.

A line via the Post Office is exactly the same as a BT line, but without any minimum contract.
# 8
stormo
Old 20-01-2009, 7:43 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Whoever told you "no" to getting the post office to instal the line said it in ignorance.

If you get the line installed by BT you are stuck in a minimum 12 month contract with them.

A line via the Post Office is exactly the same as a BT line, but without any minimum contract.
Thanks for that. I must ring them tonight and clarify it. I can see what will happen, ill pay for the PO and then I wont be able to get SKY bb. Hopefully if I ring SKY they will tell me about the line reconnections they do. I dont even mind paying the 105!!!!
# 9
Sponge
Old 20-01-2009, 6:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've just been having an online chat with a Sky advisor and he/she said the offer of 3 free months isn't available for those having a phone line installed (free) by Sky.

Looking at their T&Cs, it does say:

Quote:
3 months free offer: You must subscribe or re-subscribe to Sky Broadband Max for 12 months, take Sky line rental and Sky Talk Freetime. Working Sky or BT phone line required. Not available in conjunction with any other Sky Broadband or Sky Talk offer. One offer per household. Offer applied to account by discounting line rental for 3 months and crediting your account with 30 after broadband activation. Offer ends 5th February 2009.
But is having Sky cover the cost of phone line installation an 'offer'? If not, then you should be able to get both. He/she suggested telephoning, but I wanted to do it all online to get the discounts, e.g. 50 M&S, 15 credit, Quidco Cashback. But then again, if it's only one offer per household then I won't get them all anyway. If that's the case, then I'll be sticking with Virgin Media. The switch to Sky will only be worthwhile if I can get the discounts/cashbacks/credits.

Is Quidco cashback a totally separate deal? Will I still get that as well as any offer Sky have on their website?

Last edited by Sponge; 20-01-2009 at 6:42 PM.
# 10
iceburn
Old 21-01-2009, 3:44 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

No Sponge that incorrect. Sky providing the phone line installation is not an offer it is in the T&C. and is what my dad is getting..

He getting the following.

new line installed with broadband. free connection.
Telephone number transfer from talktalk to new line and talktalk line being cancelled.
Sky+ installed for free and no cost.
Variety + knowledge pack
Unlimited anytime telephone package
Broadband base (he can have max and get it free for 3 months, but if do not have max than only get line rental free for 3 months.)

About Quidco it is a seperate deal, you will get it as well as other things on sky website, but you can not do it online in one go cause you dont have a BT landline but a virgin landline. (I am assuming there.)

online SKY+ cost 99. You get 50 M&S vouchers (lets assume that is worth 50 to you ie you will use it anyway even if you did not have vouchers), 15 credit, and 75 for SKY+. = net saving 41

Goto quidco again and do other cashback, this time upgrade to skytalk freetime/unlimited and get 5

Goto Quidco again and do other cashback, this time get broadband connect for 5 or max for 30 (which I think cause it is an upgrade you get 3 months free as well.)

Total gain = 76

So if you "REALLY" want to maximise your "potential" cashback (I say potential cause the cashback on quido is not 100% guarantee ie do not make a decision on assumption you will get it.) What you should do is first get SKY TV, online. At the same time call BT and get a "NEW BT LANDLINE/" installed/RECONNECTED and mention you are coming back from Cable (hopefully you will than keep your number and only pay 29.99 reconnection charge, instead of 125. Probem is the offer might of finish at the end of Dec :-(. This you need to call not do it online through.

Once line is installed, you can than goto the website and add the skytalk and broadband.

To be frank if you do a recommend a friend with Sky, they will install the line for free, give you sky+, give you 3 months line rental free, etc.. So I think it is the better option than messing with all that above!! If you want someone to recommend you I can, or I am sure one of your friends / family can... and as you can see with the cashback side max you will get is 76 but than you have to deduct 29.99 for BT (maybe even 125 which will make you have negative..) so it will only be 46.01 gain. Whereas your friend would get 50 Marks & Spencer voucher / Sky+ box. and you gain with better service, SKY, plus 3 months free line rental/broadband if goto max, and better phone service package.

Maybe worth calling virgin and inform them you want to disconnect, due to being offered a better deal from Sky, and they possibly might offer you a better deal. Can use below as an example.

My dad will be paying 32.50 a month for that he is getting Variety, Knowledge, Sky Base, Line rental, Freetime anytime, and Sky+. so call up and ask the following. You want 30 credit in your account (cover the 3 months free line rental Sky is offering.) than I look on virgin media website, most similar match to what you can get from sky that my dad is having, broadband M, TV L, Phone XL cost 37.95 Therefore, you want it reduce by 5.50 a month, and you want the V+ box installed for free. If they say no than maybe worth taken up Sky free phone line connection and move. (If you only call evening and weekend than you want 6 a month off your bill.)

Last edited by iceburn; 21-01-2009 at 4:00 AM. Reason: Throught of what sponge can ask from Virgin media
The Following User Says Thank You to iceburn For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Sponge
Old 21-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I prepared a list of what Sky could offer us comparable to VM and unfortunately after adding the telephone line rental (I'd overlooked this monthly charge as it wasn't on Sky's itemised list and therefore not on mine) the cost is actually a few more than we're paying VM. So when my wife (account in her name) called VM yesterday the agent was quick to mention this and unwilling to offer anything.

It sounded like he was a real 'company man' and raved on about how bad Sky's service is compared to VM - copper lines, slow internet, rubbish HD channels, no set top box warranty...

I've asked my wife to call back later, hopefully she'll get connected to someone more helpful. We've had offers in the past.

We're about 450 metres from the exchange. Quotes on internet speed vary from 'up to 6mb', to 'up to 17mb'.

I'm still tempted to move provider. I'd like to tell VM where to shove it. Furthemore, finally getting a BT phone line will open up a whole world of ISPs and an escape from VM's traffic management.

Last edited by Sponge; 21-01-2009 at 1:06 PM.
# 12
iceburn
Old 22-01-2009, 2:52 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have been a Cabetel aka NTL aka Virginmedia customer for ages, and like just recently when we called up to cancelled they were saying the same as above about copper lines, slow internet, etc...

But here is things at least I found myself.

Copper Lines = who cares...... It can go on mud as long as it works. But also you do know Virgin is not using 100% fibre Optics, it is copper from exchange to house. Just like what BT is becoming now (they are lying Fibre Optics to exchange) Something like that. I know Virgin has been reported to ASA about that statement.

Slow internet - It is all well and good having 2/4/10/20/50mb connection but if they do not have the backbone to support it, its again pointless. A way to highlight it is in simple terms.

Sky might offer you 4mb connection and virgin offer you 10mb connection. So on surface it seem virgin is faster. "WRONG". Cause they do not add any more lanes on the backbone. So what happens as they add more ppl to the network, it gets block. So like M25 at rush hour, you might in theory can go 70mph, you be luckly to go over 10mph. But Sky add other lane as demand requires, hence ok your original speed would be like an A road at 50MPH, but you will get this constantly.

Rubbish HD channels? Virgin offering is even worse!!!!

No set-top box warranty. Wrong.... Firstly might not need it cause unlike Virgin they are not crap and never work (reason why we disconnected in the end cause no matter how often they replace it, could never get a complete service, ie picture would either always freeze, on-demand would not work etc.. Had to lose a day to wait and spend few calling them up, etc. you get a warranty from sky for the first year. Can if you want pay for extra to have extended warranty after the first year, it is most often included in household insurance. But also if you want can do what most people do, after the first year if it break down, call up Sky and say you want to disconnect due to the box not working and you have to pay 30, and they will nearly always fix it for free to keep you.

Also about the line rental, Virgin is actually one that do not "include line rental". Like the broadband deal see advertise "only 4.50 a month, when taken out with a virgin line" in small print. What is the deal you got with virgin? If you are 450metres from the BT exchange I am assuming you are talking about, it will be near the top end of the speed you will get, so you can throw "slow internet right out the window." And you mention one bit why VM is also slow "Its famous Traffic management." Anyway we are moving away from the topic heading now, so best either do future conversation in other topic or by PM. But in summary the end bit is what make the sky offer worth it as well in the long term. "Finally getting a BT phone line and will open up a whole world of ISP." If you take the offer from SKY you are saving 125 to get that for the future.
Closed Thread