Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > How much does it cost to build your own house (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How much does it cost to build your own house
Closed Thread
Views: 242,526
# 1
cheggers
Old 24-01-2006, 2:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default How much does it cost to build your own house

How much would it cost to have my own 3/4 bed detached house built for me, as I might be able to get some land cheap.

I just wondered what the costs were for building & designing your own home.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheggers For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
zag2me
Old 24-01-2006, 3:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think the calcuation goes something like 1/3rd for the land 1/3rd for the build and 1/3rd profit or something, but someone might be able to correct me

All depends on the house you want to build but I imagine it would be around 100k but remember you dont pay vat on materials if you self-build.

Its the cost of the land that is expensive in the uk, so you might be onto a winner there. Plots in my area go for over 100,000.
The Following User Says Thank You to zag2me For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
shykins
Old 24-01-2006, 6:22 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

if you want to self build by buying a frame then check out potton they give standard frame prices and i belive they will give u a guide price for the total build or even undertake it themselves

to build from scratch i am not sure but as the previous poster said it depends on the house and style.. what sort of footings you need etc etc

one thing i would say having done the same thing myself with my ex hub (guess one of the reasons he is an ex) is dont do it if u dont have enough money it will drag on for years and years and put a tremendous strain on any relationships

good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to shykins For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
bruce2110
Old 24-01-2006, 10:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via AIM to bruce2110
Default diy house building...

if you are intrested in self build, the builder we do a lot of work have there own company that builds timber frames houses for them, you can (as a member of public buy these as well) get these at a very reasonable prices.

prices start from around 18k+vat, all you need to do is provide the base for the house to sit on which i'm sure they'll advise you as well

try there web site - www.space4.co.uk

worth a look to give an idea of whats out there!

Bruce2110
# 5
adr0ck
Old 24-01-2006, 11:44 PM

buy this book

house builders bible

it most certainly is!!!!!

link to amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...927199-4956627
# 6
adr0ck
Old 24-01-2006, 11:49 PM

my own personal choice for a timber frame co is deeside timberframe

see below link for house designs and costings

http://www.deesidetimberframe.co.uk/
# 7
mcclim
Old 25-01-2006, 12:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via MSN to mcclim

WHen I was building my house, I was told to consider 40 per square foot for the cost of the build of the house, and it wasn't far of the mark, but then i had a LOT of ground work todo to the site before I could start.

The house builders bible is a good start as well and really helpful, if you do a search for self build in google there are loads of sites that give information.

If you are building your house as timberframe make sure your architect submits plans for a timberframe house and not a block one, as mine did, as I now have to change my planning permission......

If you are based in Northern Ireland I would try timberframe homes for your timberframe, as they were really helpful with mine
The Following User Says Thank You to mcclim For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
tik33
Old 25-01-2006, 6:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Good question!

It would be an easy answer to say 'how long is a piece of the proverbial string' etc. This slightly misses the point though - the building industry in my opinion seems to purposefully obfuscate the pricing of construction. I find this one of the main frustrations in the industry. Where else can you sit and look at a catalogue and not have any prices! I want to see a door handle, say, and know exactly how much it'll cost. Then I can decide whether I want door handle A at 5 or door handle B at 50 - and there really is that much difference.

So, I agree with one post - get the housebuilder's bible - brilliantly written and very simple. You might be able to borrow it from the library - but if you're seriously considering going for this - then you should own one. It's an expensive book at 18 or so, but as a % of the cost of the house it's peanuts!!!

To give you an idea of what I think - the basic house should cost you around 100 per square foot in SE England - fitted. More extravagant grand designs style - between 150 and 200 per square foot.

One important thing that I should mention that you don't talk about - does the land have planning??? In my experience there is no such thing as 'cheap land' - if it doesn't have planning permission - be VERY careful...

Good luck!
# 9
ianian99
Old 25-01-2006, 6:16 PM

its about 2/3rd's of the slae value
# 10
adr0ck
Old 26-01-2006, 9:05 AM

this is a link to house builders bible update.....some useful info to be found

http://www.ovolopublishing.co.uk/housebuildersupdate/