Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • zag2me
    • By zag2me 24th Jan 06, 3:24 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    zag2me
    • 24th Jan 06, 3:24 PM
    • 24th Jan 06, 3:24 PM
    I think the calcuation goes something like 1/3rd for the land 1/3rd for the build and 1/3rd profit or something, but someone might be able to correct me

All depends on the house you want to build but I imagine it would be around 100k but remember you dont pay vat on materials if you self-build.

Its the cost of the land that is expensive in the uk, so you might be onto a winner there. Plots in my area go for over 100,000.
    • shykins
    • By shykins 24th Jan 06, 6:22 PM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 5,462 Thanks
    shykins
    • 24th Jan 06, 6:22 PM
    • 24th Jan 06, 6:22 PM
    if you want to self build by buying a frame then check out potton they give standard frame prices and i belive they will give u a guide price for the total build or even undertake it themselves

to build from scratch i am not sure but as the previous poster said it depends on the house and style.. what sort of footings you need etc etc

one thing i would say having done the same thing myself with my ex hub (guess one of the reasons he is an ex) is dont do it if u dont have enough money it will drag on for years and years and put a tremendous strain on any relationships

good luck
  • bruce2110
    • 24th Jan 06, 10:14 PM
    diy house building...
    • 24th Jan 06, 10:14 PM
    if you are intrested in self build, the builder we do a lot of work have there own company that builds timber frames houses for them, you can (as a member of public buy these as well) get these at a very reasonable prices.

prices start from around 18k+vat, all you need to do is provide the base for the house to sit on which i'm sure they'll advise you as well

try there web site - www.space4.co.uk

worth a look to give an idea of whats out there!

Bruce2110
    • adr0ck
    • By adr0ck 24th Jan 06, 11:44 PM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 1,456 Thanks
    adr0ck
    • 24th Jan 06, 11:44 PM
    • 24th Jan 06, 11:44 PM
    buy this book

house builders bible

it most certainly is!!!!!

link to amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0954867408/qid=1138146165/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-7927199-4956627
    • adr0ck
    • By adr0ck 24th Jan 06, 11:49 PM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 1,456 Thanks
    adr0ck
    • 24th Jan 06, 11:49 PM
    • 24th Jan 06, 11:49 PM
    my own personal choice for a timber frame co is deeside timberframe

see below link for house designs and costings

http://www.deesidetimberframe.co.uk/
  • mcclim
    • 25th Jan 06, 12:25 PM
    • 25th Jan 06, 12:25 PM
    WHen I was building my house, I was told to consider £40 per square foot for the cost of the build of the house, and it wasn't far of the mark, but then i had a LOT of ground work todo to the site before I could start.

The house builders bible is a good start as well and really helpful, if you do a search for self build in google there are loads of sites that give information.

If you are building your house as timberframe make sure your architect submits plans for a timberframe house and not a block one, as mine did, as I now have to change my planning permission......

If you are based in Northern Ireland I would try timberframe homes for your timberframe, as they were really helpful with mine
  • tik33
    • 25th Jan 06, 6:12 PM
    • 25th Jan 06, 6:12 PM
    Good question!

It would be an easy answer to say 'how long is a piece of the proverbial string' etc. This slightly misses the point though - the building industry in my opinion seems to purposefully obfuscate the pricing of construction. I find this one of the main frustrations in the industry. Where else can you sit and look at a catalogue and not have any prices! I want to see a door handle, say, and know exactly how much it'll cost. Then I can decide whether I want door handle A at £5 or door handle B at £50 - and there really is that much difference.

So, I agree with one post - get the housebuilder's bible - brilliantly written and very simple. You might be able to borrow it from the library - but if you're seriously considering going for this - then you should own one. It's an expensive book at £18 or so, but as a % of the cost of the house it's peanuts!!!

To give you an idea of what I think - the basic house should cost you around £100 per square foot in SE England - fitted. More extravagant grand designs style - between £150 and £200 per square foot.

One important thing that I should mention that you don't talk about - does the land have planning??? In my experience there is no such thing as 'cheap land' - if it doesn't have planning permission - be VERY careful...

Good luck!
  • ianian99
    • 25th Jan 06, 6:16 PM
    • 25th Jan 06, 6:16 PM
    its about 2/3rd's of the slae value
    • adr0ck
    • By adr0ck 26th Jan 06, 9:05 AM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 1,456 Thanks
    adr0ck
    this is a link to house builders bible update.....some useful info to be found

http://www.ovolopublishing.co.uk/housebuildersupdate/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,467Posts Today

6,235Users online

Martin's Twitter