Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    gundo
    Very noisy diesel engine?
    • 11th Jan 09, 12:19 PM
    Very noisy diesel engine? 11th Jan 09 at 12:19 PM
    Just bought an 2.0 diesel Jag X-type at auction, it's got a full Jag service history on an 06 plate with 70k miles on the clock. I drove it back and bearing in mind the only diesels I've driven are Transits, I didn't know what to expect.

It goes very well and pulls like a train. It's the same engine from the 2.0 TDCi 130 Mondeo's. But it's really loud! I didn't notice how bad it was until the following day I started it up on my driveway. It sounds like an old Transit!

It's due a service in 1k miles and it's still under manufacturers warranty until March 09. What could be wrong with it?

At the moment I feel like a right idiot and I'm tempted to trade it in as soon as I get the V5 back from the DVLA.

My 10 yr old 115k mile Mondeo is like a magic carpet in comparison.

Looking at the service history it's had nothing major done. It's an ex-lease car.

I'm hoping that all it needs is a good service and it'll quieten down but I suspect (dread!?!) something major's up with it. It's a shame as the rest of it is pretty immaculate, not a scratch anywhere.

Hmmm...

I just compared it to my friend's Mondeo 2.0 TDCi when he came round this morning and his is a lot smoother and quieter.

Hope someone has an idea.
    Last edited by gundo; 11-01-2009 at 12:20 PM. Reason: bad grammar
    Trying hard to be a good moneysaver.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,252Posts Today

8,370Users online

Martin's Twitter