Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > Does charging things via Computer/USB save on Ele... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Does charging things via Computer/USB save on Electric?
Closed Thread
Views: 2,406
# 1
supersaver09
Old 10-01-2009, 3:50 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Question Does charging things via Computer/USB save on Electric?

Not sure whether this is true or not.

My OH says if we charge things via our computer (obviously when the computer is being used anyway), it will save on electric.
i.e Charging our mobile phones etc. via the USB - rather than plugging them into our regular mains plug points.

Will this save on electric? Seems feasible i suppose:confused:, but just thought i'd ask for some other views on this.
# 2
Totality
Old 10-01-2009, 3:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I always charge my mobile via USB rather than using the mains charger.
# 3
KimYeovil
Old 10-01-2009, 4:02 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

The fractions of a penny per hour that are involved will be totally swamped by the whole pennies per hour that are wasted when you are not using the computer (you will NOT be using the computer "anyway" every minute it is used as a recharger).
# 4
thefenman
Old 10-01-2009, 4:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersaver09 View Post
Not sure whether this is true or not.

My OH says if we charge things via our computer (obviously when the computer is being used anyway), it will save on electric.
i.e Charging our mobile phones etc. via the USB - rather than plugging them into our regular mains plug points.

Will this save on electric? Seems feasible i suppose:confused:, but just thought i'd ask for some other views on this.
No! The power has to come from somewhere.
# 5
supersaver09
Old 10-01-2009, 4:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimYeovil View Post
The fractions of a penny per hour that are involved will be totally swamped by the whole pennies per hour that are wasted when you are not using the computer (you will NOT be using the computer "anyway" every minute it is used as a recharger).
Eh?????
# 6
KimYeovil
Old 10-01-2009, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Eh?????
Eh? Computers run on electricity, not homonuculi on treadmills.
# 7
basmic
Old 10-01-2009, 5:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My computer is on very much 24/7, but I'd have to buy a USB charger for my mobile phone if I wanted to charge it with a USB lead. This would obviously negate any of the positive financial gains.

That said, I do use my computer's USB ports to charge devices that come with a USB charging cable.
# 8
Cardew
Old 10-01-2009, 5:33 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Do people seriously think you get something for nothing?

Turn on your interior light in a car and you increase your fuel consumption - probably by 0.00001%

If your mobile takes 1 watt to charge, plugging it into your PC will cause the PC to use more power.

The point Kim was making is that it costs tiny fractions of a penny to charge a mobile phone from the mains.
# 9
supersaver09
Old 10-01-2009, 5:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardew View Post
The point Kim was making is that it costs tiny fractions of a penny to charge a mobile phone from the mains.
OK, i understand now you've explained it in English. (Really don't know what she was wittering on about).

The reason i asked this is,we charge many phones & PDA's in our household. I have 2 Mobile phones, my partner has 2 mobiles plus a PDA and my daughter has a mobile too and our Electric bill has been pretty high, so obviously i'm trying to find a way of cutting costs & just wanted to know if charging via USB would make a difference.

But you've answered my question simply enough. Cheers for that.
# 10
supersaver09
Old 10-01-2009, 5:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimYeovil View Post
Eh? Computers run on electricity, not homonuculi on treadmills.
Keep taking the tablets luv.
# 11
Magentasue
Old 10-01-2009, 6:04 PM

Quote:
our Electric bill has been pretty high, so obviously i'm trying to find a way of cutting costs
We've found the most effective ways of cutting costs are to minimise use of things that heat (dishwasher, washing machine, tumble drier) or use of cheapest programmes and cut energy used by things used for hours a day (A rated appliances like fridges when you replace them and energy saving bulbs for lights used a lot).
# 12
supersaver09
Old 10-01-2009, 6:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magentasue View Post
We've found the most effective ways of cutting costs are to minimise use of things that heat (dishwasher, washing machine, tumble drier) or use of cheapest programmes and cut energy used by things used for hours a day (A rated appliances like fridges when you replace them and energy saving bulbs for lights used a lot).
Yep, agreed.

Done all this too i.e using "Economy" cycles on Dishwasher & Washing machine, using the microwave rather than putting things in the oven etc etc. Have energy saving bulbs all over the house too.

But our bills still seem high, so we're basically trying anything else we can think of really.:confused:
# 13
Magentasue
Old 10-01-2009, 7:09 PM

Quote:
But our bills still seem high, so we're basically trying anything else we can think of really.:confused:
How many kwh a day? We're using about 15-16 a day this month. 13 a day in the summer.
# 14
supersaver09
Old 10-01-2009, 7:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magentasue View Post
How many kwh a day? We're using about 15-16 a day this month. 13 a day in the summer.
1122 units used last quarter (91 days) - which i worked out as 12.33 per day. (Which is still quite high for us really).
# 15
Fire Fox
Old 10-01-2009, 7:24 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Beg, borrow or steal an Owl energy monitor. You will soon see where the energy is going.
What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
# 16
Magentasue
Old 10-01-2009, 7:24 PM

Well, there are six of us including four kids (adults and teens) permanently plugged in and charging their reasons for being when they're here. Average of 13kwh a day required concerted effort!
# 17
CrashUK
Old 10-01-2009, 8:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by basmic View Post
My computer is on very much 24/7, but I'd have to buy a USB charger for my mobile phone if I wanted to charge it with a USB lead. This would obviously negate any of the positive financial gains.

That said, I do use my computer's USB ports to charge devices that come with a USB charging cable.
I have power meter and it does make the computer use a bit more power around 4w more.. my phone changer is about 6w so it saves about 2w.. so saves a about 30p a year..
# 18
supersaver09
Old 10-01-2009, 8:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Fox View Post
Beg, borrow or steal an Owl energy monitor. You will soon see where the energy is going.
Yes, i was just looking into getting one of those.

Someone on another thread said they may be giving some away free in one of the Newspapers.

Last edited by supersaver09; 10-01-2009 at 8:35 PM.
# 19
Umski
Old 10-01-2009, 8:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Many USB charger cables only trickle charge anyway so you'd leave your PC on longer to charge As already mentioned, charging a phone is negligible in the grand scheme of things considering you're using 13 units a day. As suggested, get a power meter and see what is actually guzzling the power. If charging stuff is really bothering you then a solar phone charger will work just as well albeit take a bit longer
Closed Thread