Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • vaio
    • By vaio 8th Jan 09, 11:38 PM
    • 11,909 Posts
    • 8,837 Thanks
    vaio
    • 8th Jan 09, 11:38 PM
    • 8th Jan 09, 11:38 PM
    Think it’s free if no money changes hands and there is no mortgage involved, just get the form from the LR and fill it in
  • bazz
    • 9th Jan 09, 12:24 PM
    • 9th Jan 09, 12:24 PM
    Thanks x
  • Lemanie
    • 9th Jan 09, 1:44 PM
    • 9th Jan 09, 1:44 PM
    Hey bazz,

It's not that simple, I'm afraid - especially if there is a mortgage over the house as your mortgage company will require the registered owners of the property to be tied into the mortgage.

Its called a Transfer of Equity and needs to be done via solicitors...My old firm used to do them for about £250 pluz VAT, but that was a while ago.

Lemanie
  • bazz
    • 9th Jan 09, 4:50 PM
    • 9th Jan 09, 4:50 PM
    Hya. I intend paying off our joint mortgage in full and changing the joint deeds to my name as agreed with my ex. Thanks x
    • pukkamum
    • By pukkamum 9th Jan 09, 7:03 PM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 9,159 Thanks
    pukkamum
    • 9th Jan 09, 7:03 PM
    • 9th Jan 09, 7:03 PM
    Yes my sister did it and it cost her £250.
    I don't get nearly enough credit for not being a violent psychopath.
  • bazz
    • 9th Jan 09, 8:20 PM
    • 9th Jan 09, 8:20 PM
    Can it be done through online solicitors? I did that to save money on our divorce.
    • vaio
    • By vaio 9th Jan 09, 8:45 PM
    • 11,909 Posts
    • 8,837 Thanks
    vaio
    • 9th Jan 09, 8:45 PM
    • 9th Jan 09, 8:45 PM
    Hey bazz,

It's not that simple, I'm afraid - especially if there is a mortgage over the house as your mortgage company will require the registered owners of the property to be tied into the mortgage.

Its called a Transfer of Equity and needs to be done via solicitors...My old firm used to do them for about £250 pluz VAT, but that was a while ago.

Lemanie
    Originally posted by Lemanie
    Iím sure a solicitor or similar will cheerfully relieve you of £250 to do the job but I did it a few years ago using (I think) form TR1, a few questions I had were answered over the phone by the LR. I filled the form in and sent if off with a tiny fee. Job done.

But, as I said previously, this doesnít apply if money is changing hands or a mortgage is involved.

Think this was the form

http://www1.landregistry.gov.uk/assets/library/documents/TR1.pdf

OP, ring the land registry and ask is probably best
  • bazz
    • 9th Jan 09, 10:18 PM
    • 9th Jan 09, 10:18 PM
    Thanks. I`ll have a look at the land registry site. x
  • buzzybee67
    changing %house ownership?
    Does anyone pse know how we change the % we own on our house. we have separated on our small home which is mortgage free.as we are joint owners we are 50/50 owners but we want it to be myself 1/3 and my wife 2/3 so when it is sold at a later date i get 1/3 of sale price and not 50/50. anyone know of easy way to change this?? many thanks guys
    • skintchick
    • By skintchick 15th Jan 09, 7:50 PM
    • 14,667 Posts
    • 23,339 Thanks
    skintchick
    How about changing your own name? I got married and need to change, I could add hubby but he doesn;t mind if not, there is no mortgage on it.
    DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007
    married 21 6 08 Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014!
    • vaio
    • By vaio 17th Jan 09, 6:19 PM
    • 11,909 Posts
    • 8,837 Thanks
    vaio
    Does anyone pse know how we change the % we own on our house. we have separated on our small home which is mortgage free.as we are joint owners we are 50/50 owners but we want it to be myself 1/3 and my wife 2/3 so when it is sold at a later date i get 1/3 of sale price and not 50/50. anyone know of easy way to change this?? many thanks guys
    Originally posted by buzzybee67
    How about changing your own name? I got married and need to change, I could add hubby but he doesn;t mind if not, there is no mortgage on it.
    Originally posted by skintchick
    Go to the horses mouth, I found the land registry staff were really helpful (and they probably have plenty of time on their hands at the moment)
    • Jyotish Ganguli
    • By Jyotish Ganguli 15th Jun 09, 8:11 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jyotish Ganguli
    Change of name/s on Title Deeds
    And can you help a Senior couple Please ? How does one add the name of the husband to the already Title holder wife's name ,to make it a Joint title ? No mortgage ,no money passes hands. Thanks
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 15th Jun 09, 9:41 PM
    • 33,580 Posts
    • 140,092 Thanks
    silvercar
    Same way, get transfer forms from the Land registry and send them off with the fee.
  • never enough
    Originally posted by skintchick
    I recently changed the name on mine & it was free. However there is a mortgage on it & the building society informed the land registry automatically once I'd changed my name with them.

So ignore me.... :0/
    Last edited by never enough; 15-06-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,039Posts Today

7,608Users online

Martin's Twitter