Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Shop but don't drop > DSG Product Replacement Vouchers (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
DSG Product Replacement Vouchers
Closed Thread
Views: 3,134
# 1
WOW Factor 0
luke123456
Old 01-01-2009, 10:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default DSG Product Replacement Vouchers

Heyy its me again lol

As the title says I have DSG Product Replacement Vouchers for a large amount and I don't actually want to spend them in their shops, has anyone ever managed to get a cheque settlement for this when they have had their coverplan warranties...

Thanks a lot
# 2
Rebel
Old 01-01-2009, 11:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Nope, sorry I think it extremely unlikely (if not completely impossible) to get a cash/cheque alternative.

They give you vouchers that HAVE to be spent in their store to keep the money in house and as the warranty is not compulsory you agree to their T&C's by taking it out (I was also in the same position a couple of months ago)
# 3
Amys
Old 02-01-2009, 12:22 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The vouchers are for you to get a replacement product, and are part of the T&C you agreed to. Compared to some other policies they are actually quite good as at least with vouchers you have a choice on what item to get, rather than just being given a straight replacment.
# 4
luke123456
Old 02-01-2009, 12:47 AM
MoneySaving Convert

its just that dixons sell the same online for 300 cheaper, so I will be paying 300 extra, when I would not have too if I bought it with them...huh!!

Any ideas? thanks peeps
# 5
Enterprise 1701C
Old 02-01-2009, 9:22 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Have you tried asking them to price match? Often do not do it with online shops but if I recall rightly Dixons is part of DSG group! I am assuming the vouchers cannot be spent online?
What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
# 6
penrhyn
Old 02-01-2009, 10:30 AM

Whatever you do I'd do it quickly, with firms going to the wall on a weekly basis, I'd be concerned that the vouchers would become worthless if DSG went under.
Same applies to any other vouchers with the possible exception of Tesco.
Winter is coming
# 7
DCFC79
Old 02-01-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Blackford View Post
Have you tried asking them to price match? Often do not do it with online shops but if I recall rightly Dixons is part of DSG group! I am assuming the vouchers cannot be spent online?
yes your right dixons is part of the DSG group,
# 8
DCFC79
Old 02-01-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke123456 View Post
its just that dixons sell the same online for 300 cheaper, so I will be paying 300 extra, when I would not have too if I bought it with them...huh!!

Any ideas? thanks peeps
is the item the same price in dixons
# 9
D e n i s e
Old 02-01-2009, 12:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

my argument if i was to be offered refund in the form of vouhcers would be?

reflecting the current situation concerning companies going into administration?

'how will i know you will be in business, in twelve months/(X months) time when i need to cash them in?'

dont settle for vouchers (they are not worth it!), read this story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7803406.stm

with the current state of business affairs, companies going to the wall fight for your hard earned CASH!!!!

I wouldnt have a problem accepting vouchers from say morrisons or tescos, because bread and milk are summut you need day in day out (even then i wouldnt want more than say a 50 worth!)

but for shopping at DSG? its not every week you pick up a telly, freezer etc its a cop out by DSG they know that SOME people will prob forget they have the vouchers so many months down the line ( or they might not even be in business )

Last edited by D e n i s e; 02-01-2009 at 12:13 PM.
# 10
dmg24
Old 02-01-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D e n i s e View Post
my argument if i was to be offered refund in the form of vouhcers would be?

reflecting the current situation concerning companies going into administration?

'how will i know you will be in business, in twelve months/(X months) time when i need to cash them in?'

dont settle for vouchers (they are not worth it!), read this story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7803406.stm

with the current state of business affairs, companies going to the wall fight for your hard earned CASH!!!!

I wouldnt have a problem accepting vouchers from say morrisons or tescos, because bread and milk are summut you need day in day out (even then i wouldnt want more than say a 50 worth!)

but for shopping at DSG? its not every week you pick up a telly, freezer etc its a cop out by DSG they know that SOME people will prob forget they have the vouchers so many months down the line ( or they might not even be in business )
In the situation described by the OP, your argument is not relevant. The OP took out a policy that covered him for a replacement product from the same store that he bought the original item from. The DSG Group are still trading, so there is no reason why he cannot replace the item now.

OP, I had the same problem, but with vouchers issued by my insurance company. That was even more frustrating as I had originally bought the Walkman (going back a while) from John Lewis! However the terms of the insurance said that they would replace the product, and they were within their rights to decide how the item was replaced.

Sorry, but I doubt you will get much joy in asking for a cheque, unless it was for a greatly reduced amount (even then I think you would struggle).
# 11
woohoo_postingid
Old 02-01-2009, 1:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The voucher is for a replacement. If the model you had previously is no longer available, the voucher will be for the value of an equivalent product. The equivalent product will be decided by the company.

If you wish to purchase something more expensive, you can add to the voucher with cash. If you purchase a product that is less than the value of the voucher, you will not get any change (either vouchers or cash) so you may as well spend the full amount.
# 12
luke123456
Old 02-01-2009, 11:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks very much for your replies guys...definitley got me thinking.

To the previous person who posted, I knew all that already I didnt relaly asked how it would work when I redeemm them...but thanks anyway.

yes Dixons is part of DSG group as someone else said, but they are an online retailer so they might use that and say we dont price match with online, I think I asked currys instore once to price match their own website price and they said no...

Hmmmm, its just hard to pay 300 extra when I could get away without doing so and getting the same product.
# 13
Discovery
Old 03-01-2009, 12:09 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I was given replacement vouchers about two years ago. At the time they could be used up to their value in any DSG store, namely,PC world, Currys and Dixons. The Vouchers were from PC world. You did not have to use them in any one particular outlet.
They may have changed now, but worth checking the small print and the accompanying letter they send out.
# 14
Kyle
Old 29-05-2009, 11:15 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Just a quick similar question. I have received a product replacement voucher for a tomtom GO910 that had broke down. The insurance valued the item at 399.99 and on the voucher it states the model number that would be available now which is a Tomtom GO 940 live. The question is, Do i have to buy that item or could i buy a completely different item such as.... a TV or a computer?
# 15
derrick
Old 29-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Just a quick similar question. I have received a product replacement voucher for a tomtom GO910 that had broke down. The insurance valued the item at 399.99 and on the voucher it states the model number that would be available now which is a Tomtom GO 940 live. The question is, Do i have to buy that item or could i buy a completely different item such as.... a TV or a computer?

You can only ask at the store, they may do it.

I received an Argos voucher for a product specific LCD TV, got it, took it back as it was faulty, received an Argos voucher for the TV amount to spend on anything in Argos.
Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

# 16
woohoo_postingid
Old 29-05-2009, 2:34 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm sure they'll let you spend it on any product you like. It's all money in the till
Closed Thread