Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 231
    • Pattie94
    • By Pattie94 10th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Pattie94
    Yes it is going to be received during or after the moratorium period, we don't know when as already its been 2 years.
    • Pattie94
    • By Pattie94 10th Jul 17, 4:42 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Pattie94
    I just spoke to my bank Nationwide and apprently they will freeze my account once I have DRO even though I have no debts with them :/ but probably because it is flexplus account and I pay £10 a month. Do you think I should switch my account now before DRO? And if the dro is approved in the meantime will the switch go through?

Don't know when my dro will be in place as CAB advisor still collects all the evidence at the moment so may be few weeks. I am also waiting for my tax credit renewal which will be done on 1st August so I am not sure if I should wait with dro until then?🤔 Also I had recent purchase on argos card and have been adviced to return the goods(they haven't been even delivered at that time) but once the return and refund will be processed in will take a few days, also I think it won't show straightaway on Experian that the balance is £0, do you think I need to wait until my credit report gets uptaded too?
    • Pattie94
    • By Pattie94 10th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Pattie94
    I just spoke to my bank Nationwide and apprently they will freeze my account once I have DRO even though I have no debts with them :/ but probably because it is flexplus account and I pay £10 a month. Do you think I should switch my account now before DRO? And if the dro is approved in the meantime will the switch go through?

Don't know when my dro will be in place as CAB advisor still collects all the evidence at the moment so may be few weeks. I am also waiting for my tax credit renewal which will be done on 1st August so I am not sure if I should wait with dro until then?🤔 Also I had recent purchase on argos card and have been adviced to return the goods(they haven't been even delivered at that time) but once the return and refund will be processed in will take a few days, also I think it won't show straightaway on Experian that the balance is £0, do you think I need to wait until my credit report gets uptaded too?
    • Pattie94
    • By Pattie94 10th Jul 17, 4:49 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Pattie94
    Always got lots of questions when the CAB is closed ��
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 11th Jul 17, 2:58 PM
    • 11,525 Posts
    • 8,658 Thanks
    fatbelly
    I just spoke to my bank Nationwide and apprently they will freeze my account once I have DRO even though I have no debts with them
    Originally posted by Pattie94
    I've never met this. Did they say how they will find out?

What is your bank account? is not one of the questions on the application.

I know that Nat West routinely trawl the insolvency register to see if their clients are insolvent, and downgrade their accounts, which seems like an unnecessary and expensive waste of time for them. But AFAIK the other banks don't do this.
    • Pattie94
    • By Pattie94 11th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Pattie94
    Have no idea, though they get notification or something? Or could be only because I phoned them.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Jul 17, 8:19 PM
    • 12,455 Posts
    • 11,853 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Have no idea, though they get notification or something? Or could be only because I phoned them.
    Not a problem, just open a new basic bank account.

No credit checks, open to everyone.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 11th Jul 17, 10:10 PM
    • 11,525 Posts
    • 8,658 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Sounds like someone talking off the top of their head

Not a problem, just open a new basic bank account.

No credit checks, open to everyone.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Yep, no problems in getting a new bank account. If overdrawn, all the more reason to walk away and add it to the DRO.

Just avoid Nat West
    • Pattie94
    • By Pattie94 12th Jul 17, 10:30 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Pattie94
    Thanks. Shame as I wanted to keep this account because it has really good benefits. I never had any debts with them or overdraft as only opened the account in March.

So I have applied for Barclays basic account and after I have submited the application I realised there was no questions about the bank I want to switch from, phoned them straightaway only to find out that they can't do anything over the phone, not even cancel the application and I need to make an appointment in the branch if I want the switch service and there is currently 2 weeks waiting time great.. don't like this bank already
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 13th Jul 17, 9:34 AM
    • 11,525 Posts
    • 8,658 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Thanks. Shame as I wanted to keep this account because it has really good benefits. I never had any debts with them or overdraft as only opened the account in March.
    The odds are you will get to keep it as long as it is not overdrawn.

I think you were talking to someone who doesn't understand

There was a guy earlier in this thread who opened 5 or 6 bank accounts to try to retain at least one after the DRO. He ended up keeping them all! Bank accounts are only closed if they are overdrawn and appear on the application as a debt.
    Last edited by fatbelly; 13-07-2017 at 4:46 PM.
    • Pattie94
    • By Pattie94 13th Jul 17, 11:03 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Pattie94
    Can someone advice me where can I get DRO done quicker? I saw CAB intermediary two weeks ago and I though I am nearly at the stage of applying but yesterday she said she will transfer me to CAB call centre department, so I got a call from them this morning and appointment is on the 31st will they start my application from scratch?
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 13th Jul 17, 4:44 PM
    • 11,525 Posts
    • 8,658 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Can someone advice me where can I get DRO done quicker? I saw CAB intermediary two weeks ago and I though I am nearly at the stage of applying but yesterday she said she will transfer me to CAB call centre department, so I got a call from them this morning and appointment is on the 31st will they start my application from scratch?
    Sounds like they've referred you to the Money Advice Service in Durham.

The main two organisations doing them are stepchange and Citizens Advice.

I guess you could ask the original CA intermediary if they will do it themselves, or maybe try a different office.

Do you have any independent Money Advice Centres near where you live?
    • Pattie94
    • By Pattie94 13th Jul 17, 6:53 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Pattie94
    I did ask her but apparently they are overloaded with cases. There is few more CABs nearby but not sure if there is a point going somewhere else as it will probably take simmilar time and will have to provide them with all details again so will stick to this appointment on 31st
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 13th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    • 11,525 Posts
    • 8,658 Thanks
    fatbelly
    I did ask her but apparently they are overloaded with cases. There is few more CABs nearby but not sure if there is a point going somewhere else as it will probably take simmilar time and will have to provide them with all details again so will stick to this appointment on 31st
    Yeah, completely understand that. I do the same job at a CA. We're all linked by a common information system - at least the MAS team (they call themselves the DRO Unit) will draw on the info already obtained. The bad news is that they will want copies of all three credit agency files and they themselves are overloaded. Stick with it and you'll get there eventually.
    • Pattie94
    • By Pattie94 13th Jul 17, 10:48 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Pattie94
    Only thing that I am worried about is that my partner is near the limit, £19350 at the moment :/ We are both applying as we have some joint debts.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 14th Jul 17, 7:55 AM
    • 11,525 Posts
    • 8,658 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Only thing that I am worried about is that my partner is near the limit, £19350 at the moment :/ We are both applying as we have some joint debts.
    If I were the intermediary I'd be getting on with that!
    • debtdepressed
    • By debtdepressed 15th Jul 17, 9:33 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    debtdepressed
    waiting times
    Hello everyone, ive been rrading for weeks.
    My story and a little advice.

Im in 14k debt live with my partner wjo owns the house, i have no assests debt in my name, my partner also isnt aware.

I originally was on a DMP for 5 months paying 198.00 a month im a temp worker, in that 4 months my income dropped due to a new temp job so cancelled dmp.

Anyway stepchange didnt offer a DRO as i have 82 surplus left.

I went on to get help with NDL who worked out my budget thoroughly, they did this as a joint budget as my partner is self employed (only tp see if the bills where split equally) anyway worked out i had around 20 surplus left a month.

Great they said i qualify for a DRO....... Then they advised it will take 9 weeks to be seen!!!! Then i will receive a phone call from a intermediary person, things will be doible checked fee paod application submitted???? Does this sound right 9 weeks just for my application to be looked at???

Anyone any idea how long it will take if i go back to stepchange with the correct budget info??

9 weeks is an awful long time for NDL to maybe say it will be refused etc, im 5 months pregnant so my income will decrease again in December.
    I have done a budget with my Maternity allowance, i will be down 500 a month but will save 100 a month as i will not be paying nursery fees, but also have another baby to feed, so my income increasing is 0% chance.

This has depressed me so much ive been thinking suicide (i have been to the doctors who have signed me off work 6 weeks amd referring me to a counsellor)

Any help appreciated xxx
    • debtdepressed
    • By debtdepressed 15th Jul 17, 9:59 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    debtdepressed
    Also why do NDL request bank statements but Stepchange accept wage slips and benefit award letters. Just trying to speed things up. i have all my wage slips benefit letters, but like most mine are online statements, with no local library and being off work sick its not as easy to find somewhere i can print!
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 15th Jul 17, 10:37 AM
    • 11,525 Posts
    • 8,658 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Hi

portofcall confirms NDL have a 9-week lead time in this thread. I don't know what stepchange have and every CAB will differ.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72839861#post72839861

I imagine you could screenshot and send them a pdf - that would be the same as printing off a bank statement.

Every organisation differs in internal practice - even CABs differ a bit from each other. There is no definitive list from the Insolvency Service about what evidence is needed.

The bottom line is that you've been found eligible for a £90 scheme that will release you from your debts. It's worth sticking with the process.
    • debtdepressed
    • By debtdepressed 15th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    debtdepressed
    Thanks for your reply. I called stepchange this morning there waiting time is around 2 weeks, have to call back monday to discuss dro and update my budget to move forward.

Either way its a step in the right direction
    One of my debts has been passed to a collection agency whilst on a dmp no notification only found out as i called aqua to get an updated balance on my account!! didnt think to let me know.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,667Users online

Martin's Twitter