Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 230
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 22nd May 17, 3:50 PM
    • 11,525 Posts
    • 8,658 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Make sure you're not counting any excluded debts (child support, student loans, social fund, tv licence)

And if you can show that any of those older debts are statute barred, they don't need to be included either - really needs a letter from the creditor admitting that.
    • Sam090884
    • By Sam090884 22nd May 17, 9:16 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sam090884
    Hi guys after a bit of advice
    Thinking of going back to College to retrain to help further my career options,
    DRO came through in April I might need to take out a advanced learner loan( like a student loan)to help pay for it will this be allowed?
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 22nd May 17, 9:49 PM
    • 11,525 Posts
    • 8,658 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Hi guys after a bit of advice
    Thinking of going back to College to retrain to help further my career options,
    DRO came through in April I might need to take out a advanced learner loan( like a student loan)to help pay for it will this be allowed?
    Originally posted by Sam090884
    Do you know if there's a credit check for one of those?

I'm guessing there isn't, and you'd be OK.
    • Sam090884
    • By Sam090884 22nd May 17, 10:14 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sam090884
    Hi fatbelly,

I don't think there is a credit check. Thankyou,

so nice now not having to worry about bailiffs thanks to my moron of an ex.
    • x__Indigo_x
    • By x__Indigo_x 23rd May 17, 2:27 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    x__Indigo_x
    I have had time to do more research and if I am correct I have to include this years CT as I have lost the ability to pay by instalments, which is a kick in the proverbial as without that included on the debt list I would be comfortably under 20k.

Would I still be eligible for a DRO if I put all my effort into reducing the outstanding council tax arrears (as it is a priority debt) to the point where I'm under 20k? I know the cost of doing this is almost the same as applying for bankruptcy but I understand that's far more complicated than a DRO.
    Originally posted by LT1001
    a third party can also pay the council tax debt off and this will not class as preferential . May not be feasible but just an idea
    I am a full time Benefit and Money Adviser for a leading non profit charity and I LOVE my job <3
    Comments posted on this forum do not reflect the views of my employer

Please note forum police I suffer from dyslexia so my spelling and grammar can be dreadful- sorry but I cant help it!
    • KatieShopstoomuch
    • By KatieShopstoomuch 1st Jun 17, 2:26 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    KatieShopstoomuch
    I thought I would pop on this thread and say hello! As I have been lurking I have battled with debt on and off for several years clearing it - getting more - never learning my lesson! I am now at the stage of applying for a DRO, slightly disappointed in myself but really praying it will go through so I can have a fresh start.

Winging life....

• fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 1st Jun 17, 9:44 PM
    • 11,525 Posts
    • 8,658 Thanks
    fatbelly
    I thought I would pop on this thread and say hello! As I have been lurking I have battled with debt on and off for several years clearing it - getting more - never learning my lesson! I am now at the stage of applying for a DRO, slightly disappointed in myself but really praying it will go through so I can have a fresh start.
    Originally posted by KatieShopstoomuch
    Keep us updated.
    • KatieShopstoomuch
    • By KatieShopstoomuch 2nd Jun 17, 5:58 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    KatieShopstoomuch
    Can I ask - I have sent all the paperwork to stepchange - Will they contact me once they have checked it all or can I call them if I have questions about it?

Thanks

Winging life....

• fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 3rd Jun 17, 9:27 AM
    • 11,525 Posts
    • 8,658 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Can I ask - I have sent all the paperwork to stepchange - Will they contact me once they have checked it all or can I call them if I have questions about it?

Thanks
    Originally posted by KatieShopstoomuch
    Katie - it should be 'yes' to both questions. Any uncertainties - phone your intermediary and ask him/her.

Still uncertain - ask on here.
    • Suec81
    • By Suec81 10th Jun 17, 4:10 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Suec81
    Hi everyone I was on here back in oct/Nov 2016 and got some great help and advise about entering a dro. So my dro was granted in Nov 2016 and it's been going great. Anyways last week I put in a claim for a delayed flight back in 2012. There was me,my partner and 3 kids. I received a call today saying I was entitled to £1800. Great I thought then it hit me about my dro! Where does that leave me? Although the £1800 is to be shared out between me and my family which makes about £360 each the cash is going into my bank account!. Does anyone know what I should Do?
    Last edited by Suec81; 10-06-2017 at 4:30 PM.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 10th Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    • 11,525 Posts
    • 8,658 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Hi everyone I was on here back in oct/Nov 2016 and got some great help and advise about entering a dro. So my dro was granted in Nov 2016 and it's been going great. Anyways last week I put in a claim for a delayed flight back in 2012. There was me,my partner and 3 kids. I received a call today saying I was entitled to £1800. Great I thought then it hit me about my dro! Where does that leave me? Although the £1800 is to be shared out between me and my family which makes about £360 each the cash is going into my bank account!. Does anyone know what I should Do?
    Originally posted by Suec81
    No one's going to analyse your bank account. You have not gone over the £1000 asset limit so you don't need to do anything.
    • Suec81
    • By Suec81 10th Jun 17, 4:59 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Suec81
    Thank you once again fatbelly!
    • Pattie94
    • By Pattie94 5th Jul 17, 12:56 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Pattie94
    Hello, me and my partner will be applying for DRO. He had an road accident back in 2015 and he may be due personal injury money. However, it won't be for salary loss. It already took nearly 2 years, they only agreed to send all the documents to the court so we are not sure when he will be getting the payout. It will be between £1-£10k but likely no more than £5k. Will the payout affect his DRO? Thank you.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 5th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    • 11,525 Posts
    • 8,658 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Hello, me and my partner will be applying for DRO. He had an road accident back in 2015 and he may be due personal injury money. However, it won't be for salary loss. It already took nearly 2 years, they only agreed to send all the documents to the court so we are not sure when he will be getting the payout. It will be between £1-£10k but likely no more than £5k. Will the payout affect his DRO? Thank you.
    Originally posted by Pattie94
    Here's the guidance

Personal injury payments received during the moratorium period will be dealt with depending on the composition of the payments (special and general damages). If the compensation relates solely to general damages and is received during the moratorium period, this will not adversely affect the DRO so long as the funds are used only for living expenses and not converted into tangible assets. Should the funds be used to make a large purchase, rather than on living expenses, the OR will consider revocation should the collective value of the debtor’s assets exceed £1,000.
    • Pattie94
    • By Pattie94 5th Jul 17, 9:43 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Pattie94
    Great, thank you. What if we just don't spend it?
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 5th Jul 17, 10:37 PM
    • 11,525 Posts
    • 8,658 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Great, thank you. What if we just don't spend it?
    Originally posted by Pattie94
    As long as it's just a general damages payment, should be fine.
    • Pattie94
    • By Pattie94 9th Jul 17, 12:06 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Pattie94
    What happens if we paid for the car insurance upfront for the whole year and once the renewal comes(while on DRO) we would like to pay monthly? Thank you.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 9th Jul 17, 6:36 AM
    • 11,525 Posts
    • 8,658 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Not a problem. A monthly figure for car insurance will be in the DRO application so it's already accounted for. Equally if you have enough to pay in one lump and avoid interest charges, that's fine too.
    • Pattie94
    • By Pattie94 9th Jul 17, 11:15 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Pattie94
    Sorry for bothering you further.
    I had gone through the whole topic 😳 And as I can see, personal injury payout used to be classed as an assest, has anything changed now? I am really worried that it may revoke the dro.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 9th Jul 17, 11:32 PM
    • 11,525 Posts
    • 8,658 Thanks
    fatbelly
    The latest guidance phrases it differently to my previous post but the effect is the same

Personal injury claims not payable before the DRO is approved and relating solely to general damages are not treated as assets. They, therefore, do not need to be disclosed in the application but if the award is subsequently used to make a large purchase during the moratorium period, rather than on living expenses, the DRO may be revoked on the basis that the applicant’s assets exceed £1,000.
    An award made before the DRO is approved is treated as an asset. You are asking about one received during the moratorium.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,667Users online

Martin's Twitter