Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    fermi
    Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread
    • 1st Jan 09, 9:22 AM
    Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread 1st Jan 09 at 9:22 AM
    Info from IS website:

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/bankrup...bankruptcy.htm

What is a debt relief order (DRO)?

DROs provide debt relief, subject to some restrictions. They are suitable for people who do not own their own home, have little surplus income and assets and less than 15,000 of debt. An order lasts for 12 months. In that time creditors named on the order cannot take any action to recover their money without permission from the court. At the end of the period, if your circumstances have not changed you will be freed from the debts that were included in your order. DROs do not involve the courts. They are run by The Insolvency Service in partnership with skilled debt advisers, called approved intermediaries, who will help you apply to The Insolvency Service for a DRO.

Is a DRO likely to be suitable for me?

To apply for a DRO, you must meet certain conditions:
    • You must be unable to pay your debts.
    • You must owe less than 15,000.
    • You can own a car to the value of 1000 but the total value of other assets must not exceed 300.
    • After taking away tax, national insurance contributions and normal household expenses, your disposable income must be no more than 50 a month.
    • You must be domiciled (living) in England or Wales, or at some time in the last 3 years have been living or carrying on business in England or Wales.
    • You must not have been subject to another DRO within the last 6 years.
    • You must not be involved in another formal insolvency procedure at the time you apply.
    Further information
    If you still have any queries regarding DROs you can call The Insolvency Service Enquiry Line on 0845 602 9848

Hi all,

This is probably a good opportunity to mention that CCCS are one of the recognised approved intermediaries. If a Debt Relief Order is a suitable solution we will be able to help guide you through the full process of getting it set up.

If you do feel you fit the criteria for a Debt Relief Order, feel free to call us on the helpline on 0800 138 1111 (lines are open Mon-Fri from 8am to 8pm), or alternatively you can use our Debt Remedy facility by following this link here from the 6th of April.

If you would like to ask any questions about Debt Relief Orders, feel free to post on the CCCS thread here.

Regards,
    Matthew.
    Originally posted by CCCS_Matthew
    Last edited by fermi; 18-05-2011 at 12:55 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards, Loans, and Benefits boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com | > New to Forum? Click for Guide <

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

6,474Posts Today

5,964Users online

Martin's Twitter