Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Shop but don't drop > pc world-pc performance scam (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
pc world-pc performance scam
Closed Thread
Views: 19,747
# 1
WOW Factor 0
ynot2005
Old 31-12-2008, 11:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default pc world-pc performance scam

i have just bought a laptop from pc world with my mother, and purchased pc performance although at the time i did not realise what my mother had done.

the sales assistant (female) did not mention the word "pc performance" nor direct debit, and insisted it was a must do thing to buy from pc world to "guarantee the software", the whole scam was underhand to say the least although she did say eventually most people cancel it as soon as they get home once vista had loaded and worked correctly.

of course if fools like me and my mother get scammed into signing direct debit forms then we get what we deserve.we will cancel and its not going to cost us anything.

im sure an elderly lady who clearly short of "computer knowledge" was an easy target for her, and even when we kicked off about not wanting a direct debit , she insited this was the norm and stuck to her "software guarantee line"

the real victims are those who buy on credit and its all in repayments and dont realise what they have purchased and carry on paying over and over again every month.

this is more of a warning to watch a very slick scam from pc world, the tittle tattle she came out with about nothing in general whilst pushing forms to be signed without once mentioning word like "pc performance", "direct debit", the cost every month, warranty, insurance or anything which bore any relavance to the truth was quite staggering from a major retailer.

we need your bank details to guarantee the software as the hardware is covered she kept repeating.

lying and scamming us is exactly what pc world did, although i can accept pc performance may be useful and their customers are happy to pay for it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ynot2005 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
CrazyIndianZA
Old 01-01-2009, 11:02 AM
MoneySaving Convert

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/store_doc/G...t-service.html

outrageous..essentially the same extended warranty scam from the DSG group.
The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyIndianZA For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Kavanne
Old 01-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Says at the bottom of that link you can cancel within 14 days so I recommend you do that ASAP!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kavanne For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
oilit
Old 01-01-2009, 11:18 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i had a friend who worked at pc world a few years ago, he always said that if you went in on the saturday evening just before closing, quite often you could buy things and then they woudl give you all their support and or extended warranty stuff free because they had weekly targets to meet on them, and it was number of sales as opposed to the price of teh sales, so if the store was short they just added them into the product price to help make the quotas!!

PC world Dixons and Currys (aka DSG) have certainly cornered the market in recruiting sales staff who can speak a lot and yet say nothing valuable except whatever it takes to shove another bit of kit up you before they throw you out of the door ....

I was in PC World yesterday, and was listening to the way a guy (boy) was selling a mac to a middle aged couple - frankly it was incredibly patronising - if it was me I would have told him where to go!

It always makes me wonder why people go to a person who is financially incentivised to sell you something for advice on what to buy !!!!!

Just cancel the DD !

Last edited by oilit; 01-01-2009 at 11:28 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oilit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
edgex
Old 01-01-2009, 12:35 PM

Considering how few pc's they actually sell, i think they should be forced to change their name
The Following User Says Thank You to edgex For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
KILL BILL
Old 01-01-2009, 1:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgex View Post
Considering how few pc's they actually sell, i think they should be forced to change their name

personal crap world would be fitting maybe for their name
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KILL BILL For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
ynot2005
Old 01-01-2009, 1:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

to be honest the whole show she put on was embarrissing to listen to, how her favourite laptops were the cheapest end of the range that we bought, blah blah blah.

its no big deal really as we will cancel pc performance and the laptop is very nice and i knew what i wanted and it was comparable in price or better than other high street shops, its the sour taste it leaves in the mouth about pc world and how you cannot trust them.

i expect they try and pull the wooll over every punters eyes who walks in pc world, not a very good long term sales tactic and puts more business into the hands of online retailers.

computer newbies may not know about computers but they know an extended warranty type scam when they see one.

infact the female who did the scamming wasnt some smooth operator that could sell anything to anyone, but a frumpy nerdy 20 something who seemed shy and a bit awakward who at first glance would be the last person to try it on.

how wrong i was
The Following User Says Thank You to ynot2005 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
pompeyrich
Old 01-01-2009, 5:19 PM

Just to balance things a bit, I bought a Sony laptop from PC World on-line, the whole process was straightforward, the laptop arrived as stated etc. The price dropped by 30 in their sale, so I e-mailed them and they are going to refund the difference to my card. I have heard so much bad stuff about PC World so really only used them as a last resort for a last minute Christmas present but have to say that overall, my experience with them was really good.
# 9
philatio
Old 01-01-2009, 6:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

^ Thats cos you did it online.

In-store, PC World/Currys make ALL their money through warranties and tech service plans. Usually to customers who aren't that knowledgable that they're paying for nothing.
Utter utter scum.

And agree with the above about it shouldn't be called PC World anymore. Our local's just had a big refit and there's more TVs than PC stuff now.
The Following User Says Thank You to philatio For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
CrazyIndianZA
Old 01-01-2009, 8:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

not had any problems with them but I do hate people who pressure sell to the elderly.
The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyIndianZA For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Lil_Mothachucka
Old 01-01-2009, 8:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The problem with PCW is that they make very little money in the 'big stuff' that they sell, stuff like computers, laptops, printers, t.v's etc.

The average margin on these products is less than 10% so they need to sell stuff like warranties (pc performance), cables (at £15-£20 when they only brought it for 50p!), software etc.

PCW have a margin of at least 40% on their warranties and near enough 50% on the little/secondary things like ink cartridge, t.v stands, software, cables etc.

Now u can understand why the likes of PCW and Currys sell these additional items because that area is the most profitable for their business. Anyhow if more people knew about the sales of goods act and the govt. had the balls to enforce it, DSG will probabely go bust!

Quote:
the sales assistant (female) did not mention the word "pc performance" nor direct debit, and insisted it was a must do thing to buy from pc world to "guarantee the software", ....
the female staff lied to u when she said it "guarantee's software", warranties only cover hardware faults and this is clearly written on your mother's policy document. Like the staff member said, you can cancel it because it is on a month to month basis, (You can cancel it anytime).

Quote:
It always makes me wonder why people go to a person who is financially incentivised to sell you something for advice on what to buy !!!!!
majority of the staff at PCW have the title of 'customer advisor' in a sense they are not salemen/women but are there to 'advise'. Another thing is they do not work to commission instead it is the quality of the sale and how many warrienties the stores sells in a month in order to get themselves a team bonus from HQ.

Frankly they do not give the crap about what PC or printer u go there to buy and will and as i have already mentioned they are only interested in selling in stuff that make more money for them, namely warrenties.

Now what i am going to say(post) might sound silly but anytime you guys go to a retail organisation where u find the sales staff more interested in selling the warrienties or additional services over the intital item, agree to take it out and cancel it later (within 14 days of course).

This way you are able to neogigate a discount with them in order to take it, e.g. get a free tv stand with your T.V, laptop bag+ anti-virus software for your laptop, camera bag/ memory cards with your camera etc. By agreeing to take out a warranty you are doing THEM a favour so he/she is in your hands.

btw, most pc related problems is software related and is the result of user input, computer rarly fails by themselves unless u brought a cheap machine with ALL the parts made in taiwan.
Sup'

Last edited by Lil_Mothachucka; 01-01-2009 at 8:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lil_Mothachucka For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
stephen77
Old 02-01-2009, 11:41 AM

I am glad i got pc protection out as my screen broke on my lap top. So it worked out beneficial for me.

Lap top has broke again so going to take it back to be mended. So i will return it twice with in a two year peroid.

Worked out much cheaper than buying two new pcs.

however i would say lap top break more easily than normal PC.

I have met some good computer shop staff. I did a MS on one. I told him my budget and what I need. He suggested a computer that was 200 cheaper than my budget.

Some shops will always have hard sales staff on, but you will get more helpful staff as well.
# 13
ynot2005
Old 02-01-2009, 2:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

we bought the laptop 31 dec and rang today to cancel pc performance and have been told to call back in 48 hours because its not in the system....im not sure if this is a delay tactic or the truth.

yes lil mothachucka she wasnt interested in selling us a better laptop, infact she didnt care about selling the laptop at all when we threatened to cancel the deal because we didnt like the direct debit must do thing , it was quite obvious now that the "warranty pc performance" walked out of the door with us or we went home empty handed.

a bad experience from pc world that wont be forgotten, getting a bit of pressure to buy from salesman is common, a bit of flannel and bullsh*t can be expected, but downright blatant lies and underhand dealing when it involves banks and direct debits was a real eye opener.

and it was all carried out by the girl who sold us the laptop with so much ease that we no doubt had been another mug in a long list of punters that day
# 14
sazlberry
Old 05-01-2009, 2:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I bought a computer from them just after Christmas and the sales assistant started to tell us about the cover I told him we didnt want it to which he replied I have to tell you about thins anyway and proceded to ramble on for 5 mins about the cover. Even worse than that he mumbled so badly we couldnt understand a word he was saying!. There service is also appaling. We had reserved the computer on line the day before, after being ignored for 15 mins in the store (at the reserve and collect bit) we were sent to speak to a man stood on a podium and had a ten minute wait there to then be told to go back to the origional place. Was very very annoying!
Working hard to be debt free!
# 15
BlameTheGame
Old 05-01-2009, 3:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I bought a PS3 from PC World not so long ago and took out the the cover, it was 2.99. Im glad i took it 'cos 6 months down the line it had packed in and they just swapped it for a brand new one. I believe if i didnt take it out i would have to deal with the manufacturer directly as it would have fallen within the 12 month manufacturer warranty and most retailers only offer a 28 day money back guarantee.

I also haggled and got the first 3 month cover for free.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlameTheGame For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
TehJumpingJawa
Old 05-01-2009, 3:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I was in PC world earlier today browsing their laptops, when I was inevitably approached by a shop assistant.
In the ensueing conversation I was asked :-

1) Would I be paying cash, or getting it on credit.
2) Had I heard of their pc performance service.
3) Would I be paying cash, or getting it on credit. (yes, this isn't a typo - in the same conversation she asked exactly the same question twice.)

All this was before I had even chosen the product I was interested in!!!
Other interesting quotes from the conversation:

Me: "Oh, this is running Vista?"
Robot: "Yes, you won't be able to get any with XS in store"
Me: "<pause>, XP?"
Robot: "Oh....yes."

Me: "The specs. on display for these laptops don't say what the graphics cards are?"
Robot: "oh right, hang on i'll check. <runs over to a pc & checks the website, then returns> .... integrated graphics."
Me: "But what chipset?"
Robot: "<back to check the website, then returns>.... ATI, this has ATI graphics"
Me: "ATI is the manufacturer - but they do hundreds of graphics cards, what model?"
Robot: "<invites me over to check the contents of the website myself>"
Me: "Yeah, I've already looked on your website, it's useless - that's why I came into the store..."

I welcome PC World, Currys & the rest going bust, they're all fcuking useless as retailers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TehJumpingJawa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
smithj100
Old 06-01-2009, 11:21 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Pc performance

I don't understand why customers are calling it a scam personally i think its great, i am a computer wiz but i still take out pc performance because i know how to play it.
IT'S A GREAT WAY TO SAVE A BIT OF MONEY!

when you go go into pc world to buy a laptop or desktop the sales guy will offer you pc performance you can negotiate and get the first month free and with that service it gives them a bit more margin on their sale so when you buy a bag for the laptop aswell or any other accessory, you can get it at half price or at a discounted price.

all you do when you get home is phone up and cancel the pc performance or just go to bank and cancel the direct debit! its really easy!

the pc performance service they offer is a pay as you go one so there isn't a contract!

The best thing they offer is like 3 year instant replacement pc performance on like printers and cameras and other stuff like that

you pay like a one off payment of like 19.99 (you can get that down to 9.99 sometimes)

and how that works is every 2 years you take the printer and camera back to the store claiming there is a fault with it and they give your new one and usually theres always a new model out so you always get the latest model! they dont even argue!

in the last 7 -8 years i havn't paid for a single new printer or camera just been claiming on the pc performance every couple of years

so i highly recommend pc performance as you can use it to your advantage!

+ if you ever buy a clearance or ex display machine thats at a high spec at low price simply buy it take the pc performance drop the machine "accidently" then claim on it. its a bit of hassles because they try and fix it but if they cant they give you vouchers for another machine at equivelent spec.

for example i brought an ex display asus gaming laptop a few weeks back for 349 it had a few scratches and sort of damaged but it had a 4gb ram dedicated graphics (really high spec) i dropped the laptop, it died, called pc performance guy came over took the laptop, got told they cant fix it got a voucher 800! :-)
# 18
PopeSock
Old 06-01-2009, 1:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJumpingJawa View Post
I was in PC world earlier today browsing their laptops, when I was inevitably approached by a shop assistant.
In the ensueing conversation I was asked :-

1) Would I be paying cash, or getting it on credit.
2) Had I heard of their pc performance service.
3) Would I be paying cash, or getting it on credit. (yes, this isn't a typo - in the same conversation she asked exactly the same question twice.)
This is part of Dixons' new selling system. All employees *have* to ask these questions. Even if you know the exact model you want, they're required to ask this, and go through the whole process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynot2005 View Post
i expect they try and pull the wooll over every punters eyes who walks in pc world, not a very good long term sales tactic and puts more business into the hands of online retailers.
It shouldn't be quite that bad but yes, employees of most electrical retailers, not just Dixons Group are under pressure to sell loads of extras. They may not be on commission, but they're still watched like a hawk and probably reprimanded for not selling enough stuff. They don't see the long term effects, if indeed it does put customers offer, only the day in day out effects of them not getting the extras.

Last edited by PopeSock; 06-01-2009 at 1:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PopeSock For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Waxy Bean
Old 06-01-2009, 1:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithj100 View Post

for example i brought an ex display asus gaming laptop a few weeks back for 349 it had a few scratches and sort of damaged but it had a 4gb ram dedicated graphics (really high spec) i dropped the laptop, it died, called pc performance guy came over took the laptop, got told they cant fix it got a voucher 800! :-)
I'm glad your conscience allows you to do things like this, mine certainly doesn't.
2009 winnings: private box at the ballet, a cooking lesson with Jean Christophe Novelli, a case of wine, 25 itunes downloads, a candle, Football Manager PC game, a lipstick, 250
# 20
SSTSparkz
Old 06-01-2009, 5:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I work for PC World and I would have to say the let down of the company is the way most stores take on young staff.

The company within this year is serposed to be changing each and every store from the old PC World to the new (new logo to identifiy the new). With the new changes we are serposed to be selling more well known brands and become more upper market and try to become from the dogy sales guy route to more of a come in learn about what you want to buy and have no pressure in selling at all. All staff are serposed to train each other and learn more themselfs. each store will have a "Champion" for sertain parts of the store which normal know the most about that subject things like "Vision"- tv's "Gaming" - self explained and "Connectivity" - mobile broadband.

The company has set up an Acadamy to go around each PC World store and train them on the new way to approch and serve customers. Which is serposed to be no pressure sale at all. If Managers of the store stick to it like ours, the new rule is IF you Pressure sell you cannot stay. Which makes it easyer on the Sales Advisor and the Customer. Of corse figures still count and we do still make money from our PC Performance and cables ect. but how the new selling aproch is serposed to work is for us to help you offer what we can and by asking questions we can make sure the customer goes home with what they want and everythink they need to set it up.

PC Performance is still the same. Manufacture warrentys on PC's/Laptops only cover hardware. PC Performance covers your DATA from being lost, and Supports the user with software problems and issues. The cover on the harware is for faults and covers the user when being abroad and will be coverd under mishaps. For laptop hardware faults if you are unable to get to a store we just pick it up sometimes next day, depending if you call before 10am the day before.
The Following User Says Thank You to SSTSparkz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread