Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 15th Jan 06, 6:13 PM
    • 7,465Posts
    • 3,597Thanks
    Stompa
    Unshrinking Jumpers
    • 15th Jan 06, 6:13 PM
    Unshrinking Jumpers 15th Jan 06 at 6:13 PM
    When my partner washes jumpers (pure wool and others) she nearly always seems to make them shrink. She's tried many different types of detergents, including those specifically designed for woollen garments, but it makes no difference.

Does anybody have any tips on how you can wash woollens without them shrinking?

Or better still how you can unshrink already shrunken ones? (though I suspect that can't be done!!!).

Thanks

Stompa
Page 2
    • Lady_K
    • By Lady_K 17th May 09, 8:17 PM
    • 4,405 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    Lady_K
    Where can you buy fullers earth please?
    T
    Originally posted by Topher
    The cat litter I have bought before says fullers earth so thats probably what people can use, it says fullers earth and nothing else you can get it from tesco asda and most places
    Thanx

Lady_K
    • V-S-210
    • By V-S-210 11th Jun 11, 11:55 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    V-S-210
    It's soooo sad when a jumper shrinks in the wash!! My stripy purple one has and I'm quite upset... if only there's a way of reshaping it?!!
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 14th Oct 16, 9:55 AM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 5,659 Thanks
    Ilona
    It’s hard to say what the problem really is now, it seems like you will have to dismantle your washing machine to detect it. But it’s not easy to do on your own; it’s really better to contact a professional. For example, these guys: https://appliancenj.com; I’ve contacted them more than once before.
    Originally posted by Frezka
    Digging up old threads to add a link. Suspicious.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 14th Oct 16, 5:44 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 2,163 Thanks
    Slowly57
    When my partner washes jumpers (pure wool and others) she nearly always seems to make them shrink. She's tried many different types of detergents, including those specifically designed for woollen garments, but it makes no difference.
    Originally posted by Stompa
    It isn't the heat as much as how much agitation the washer does - the heat swells the fibre and then the agitation rubs the fibres/mashes them into felt, which causes the 'shrink'. You could try putting your shrunken garment into lukewarm water, wetting thoroughly until it relaxes and then add some hair conditioner and swish it about a bit. No wringing, gently press or roll moisture out and then reshape your garment on a non-fluffy towel, roll it up and gently squeeze. Have a look - if it has well and truly felted then there's no way back - but I've revived knitwear this way.

Always use the wool programme and if you can wash at 0C/unheated water - then do so.

Also
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45V09HaDbP4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQqkAHkl_kU
    Last edited by Slowly57; 14-10-2016 at 5:50 PM.
    2016 | Dec GC £88.00/£200.00 | Nov GC £233.00/£200 | Oct GC £243.82/£200
    2017 | Additional annual YS & "it's a bargain!" float £000.00/£100.00
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 14th Oct 16, 11:37 PM
    • 6,996 Posts
    • 44,008 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Slowly57 beat me to it with the towel rolling while damp - i've done it before and it has made a bit of a difference.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 15th Oct 16, 2:25 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 2,163 Thanks
    Slowly57
    Kerri - rolling/blotting stuff in a towel is a brilliant way to launder something in a hurry (like if you're on hols) - if you pull the garment out flat, smooth, roll and then hang on a hanger while damp - sorted
    2016 | Dec GC £88.00/£200.00 | Nov GC £233.00/£200 | Oct GC £243.82/£200
    2017 | Additional annual YS & "it's a bargain!" float £000.00/£100.00
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 15th Oct 16, 5:46 PM
    • 7,415 Posts
    • 26,032 Thanks
    Nicki
    I've got a couple of jumpers which have shrunk so am going to try the fillers earth trick. I've ordered a bag online for less than a fiver and if it doesn't work apparently it also makes great face packs and bath salts!

I'll try and remember to post some before and after pics when it arrives and I've tried it out. I mean of the jumpers not my complexion that is
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,124Posts Today

7,608Users online

Martin's Twitter