IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Unshrinking Jumpers
Views: 36,781
# 1
Stompa
Old 15-01-2006, 6:13 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Unshrinking Jumpers

When my partner washes jumpers (pure wool and others) she nearly always seems to make them shrink. She's tried many different types of detergents, including those specifically designed for woollen garments, but it makes no difference.

Does anybody have any tips on how you can wash woollens without them shrinking?

Or better still how you can unshrink already shrunken ones? (though I suspect that can't be done!!!).

Thanks

Stompa
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
kittie
Old 15-01-2006, 6:18 PM

wash hand warm only in very gentle wool wash detergent. Squeeze gently when washing and don`t twist or wring. Lay wet on a large towel and roll up to take out excess moisture. Dry flat on an airer or lay flat on slats in the airing cupboard

You can`t unshrink jumpers although if there is no other option you could try pulling them about when wet
# 3
JoBatch80
Old 15-01-2006, 7:05 PM

I put mine in the washer on the wool cycle, I think its 30c with the persil wool wash stuff and never dry them in a tumble drier, made that mistake before which will never be repeated (my poor mango lambswool sweater, it was so beautiful, on sale and couldnt get another, perfect fit and only got to wear it twice! I coulda cried....)

Jo xx
Once you've swam in the sea, a lake will no longer do.
# 4
janb5
Old 15-01-2006, 9:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I agree with both posts above but I do both! I wash by hand and then rinse on the rinse cycle on the machine because the worst bit is getting rid of the soap ! This seems to work fine. Sadly shrunk jumpers have had it - no reprieve I`m afraid!
# 5
Stompa
Old 15-01-2006, 9:43 PM

Thanks for the advice, we'll give it a try. Annoyingly our machine doesn't have a rinse cycle!

Stompa
# 6
Joto
Old 15-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I was told years ago to put shruken woollens in a bowl with a good dose of hair conditioner to slacken the fibres. This may work if they are not badly matted, could be worth a try. I've also been advise not to leave them soaking for long, which can cause the fibres to swell and matt together. Unfortunately both these tips contradict each other, although I presume if the jumper has already shrunk you have got nothing to loose by leaving it in a bowl absorbing the conditioner.
Look after the pennies and the s will look after themselves
# 7
Lady_K
Old 15-01-2006, 10:35 PM

Stompa

How come your machine doesnt have a rinse cycle? I just put the stuff in I want to rinse and turn the dial round to where the rinse part of a wash cycle starts and then start the machine can't you do that on your machine? I've been doing it for years and its been ok for me
Thanx

Lady_K
# 8
Sarahsaver
Old 16-01-2006, 9:43 AM

I do mine on the wool programme in the washing machine and have no probs. The best results i have are with home made detergent - laundry 'gloop' Wool once shrunk will not re-stretch. The wool fibres are covered with a scale like structure and these become interlocked causing the garment to shrink.
Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
I have done reading too!
To avoid all evil, to do good,
to purify the mind- that is the
teaching of the Buddhas.
# 9
maryb
Old 16-01-2006, 10:03 PM

I did see something once about relaxing wool fibres which i think involved soaking the jumper with a bit of borax in the water. I haven't tried it myself though. If it's really shrunk you've got nothing to lose
# 10
Stompa
Old 16-01-2006, 10:22 PM

How come your machine doesnt have a rinse cycle? I just put the stuff in I want to rinse and turn the dial round to where the rinse part of a wash cycle starts and then start the machine can't you do that on your machine?

Hmmm, you know I'm not sure. I would have expected it to be just another one of the pre-configured program settings. It doesn't mention anything in the manual about moving that dial once the machine has been started, so I've never given it a try!

Stompa
# 11
betyouaint
Old 11-05-2008, 12:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

After doing the same thing to my favourite woolen sweater the other day I scoured the internet for a solution. I found a lot of negative comments suggesting that "unshrinking" was a mission impossible and i was about to send it to the charity shop. However, after more searching I also found a few promising miracle cures. The one I used invloved soaking the garment in a solution of luke warm water and fuller's earth for 10-15 minutes, rinsing in more luke warm water and then gently stretching the garment out frequently whilst drying. Amongst it many other uses, fuller's earth was traditionally used in wool production for removing animal oils and the article i read also suggested it was a wool relaxant. Whetehr this is true or not it certainly did the job and my XXL sweater (which had been reduced to a M sweater) is now pretty much back to its old self. NEVER let anyone convince you that it can't be done.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to betyouaint For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
sillyvixen
Old 11-05-2008, 3:14 PM

i do mine on a 30 degree wool cycle - and dry flat, its the only thing i use fabric conditioner in- i have never had a problem. a friend was horrified the other week when i told her i wash my cashmere jumper in the machine.
Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
# 13
pigpen
Old 11-05-2008, 5:35 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I buy 2 sizes too big.. because they ALL shrink a little bit anyway.. and I sling them in on a wool cycle.. never had a problem!

My 2 oldest boys have 100% wool jumoers for school and I have never *touch wood* shrinkled one of those!
LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
Hope to be debt free until the day I die
Mortgage-free Wannabee (07/30)
6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
The Following User Says Thank You to pigpen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
mute_posting
Old 11-05-2008, 5:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

One of the style tips on Queer Eye I caught the closing credits for earlier mentioned soaking them in warm water with an egg-cup full of hair conditioner then re-shaping and laying flat to dry.

Worth a try...
:confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.
# 15
Sarahsaver
Old 11-05-2008, 6:31 PM

I just got a book recently called 'spotless' and it did carry the fullers' Earth tip, never heard it before but yep worth a try!
One of my OH's jumpers shrunk but my DD quite likes it and wants it for herself
Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
I have done reading too!
To avoid all evil, to do good,
to purify the mind- that is the
teaching of the Buddhas.
# 16
lil_me
Old 11-05-2008, 9:58 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send a message via MSN to lil_me

Buy them too big. Wool cycle or hand wash and I usually hang those I expect to shrink

I have successfully stretched a bit back into a sweater using the weights you get for using when knitting on a machine that my Mam had, washed them and hung them wet with the weights on. Figured once it was shrank I may aswell try.
One day I might be more organised...........:confused:

Last edited by lil_me; 11-05-2008 at 10:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to lil_me For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
moneysavinglaura
Old 17-05-2009, 12:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Shrunk clothes

Hi,
I've managed to shrink a woolly jumper in the wash. Does anyone have any advice on how I can stretch it again?
# 18
Anne_Marie
Old 17-05-2009, 1:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This old threat might help http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=136731
# 19
susank
Old 17-05-2009, 3:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I put my woolens in the tumble drier for about 5 minutes as it takes the jumper back into shape - cashmere, alpaca, lambswook - nothing will shrink in 5 minutes in a drier. Then I dry them on the airer
Saving in my terramundi pot 2, 1 and 50p just for me!
# 20
Topher
Old 17-05-2009, 5:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by betyouaint View Post
The one I used invloved soaking the garment in a solution of luke warm water and fuller's earth for 10-15 minutes, rinsing in more luke warm water and then gently stretching the garment out frequently whilst drying. Amongst it many other uses, fuller's earth was traditionally used in wool production for removing animal oils and the article i read also suggested it was a wool relaxant. .
Where can you buy fullers earth please?
T