Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 15th Jan 06, 6:13 PM
    • 7,398Posts
    • 3,534Thanks
    Stompa
    Unshrinking Jumpers
    • 15th Jan 06, 6:13 PM
    Unshrinking Jumpers 15th Jan 06 at 6:13 PM
    When my partner washes jumpers (pure wool and others) she nearly always seems to make them shrink. She's tried many different types of detergents, including those specifically designed for woollen garments, but it makes no difference.

Does anybody have any tips on how you can wash woollens without them shrinking?

Or better still how you can unshrink already shrunken ones? (though I suspect that can't be done!!!).

Thanks

Stompa
Page 1
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Jan 06, 6:18 PM
    • 9,869 Posts
    • 47,863 Thanks
    kittie
    • 15th Jan 06, 6:18 PM
    • 15th Jan 06, 6:18 PM
    wash hand warm only in very gentle wool wash detergent. Squeeze gently when washing and don`t twist or wring. Lay wet on a large towel and roll up to take out excess moisture. Dry flat on an airer or lay flat on slats in the airing cupboard

You can`t unshrink jumpers although if there is no other option you could try pulling them about when wet
    • JoBatch80
    • By JoBatch80 15th Jan 06, 7:05 PM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 2,537 Thanks
    JoBatch80
    • 15th Jan 06, 7:05 PM
    • 15th Jan 06, 7:05 PM
    I put mine in the washer on the wool cycle, I think its 30c with the persil wool wash stuff and never dry them in a tumble drier, made that mistake before which will never be repeated (my poor mango lambswool sweater, it was so beautiful, on sale and couldnt get another, perfect fit and only got to wear it twice! I coulda cried....)

Jo xx
    Once you've swam in the sea, a lake will no longer do.
    • janb5
    • By janb5 15th Jan 06, 9:30 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 5,970 Thanks
    janb5
    • 15th Jan 06, 9:30 PM
    • 15th Jan 06, 9:30 PM
    I agree with both posts above but I do both! I wash by hand and then rinse on the rinse cycle on the machine because the worst bit is getting rid of the soap ! This seems to work fine. Sadly shrunk jumpers have had it - no reprieve I`m afraid!
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 15th Jan 06, 9:43 PM
    • 7,398 Posts
    • 3,534 Thanks
    Stompa
    • 15th Jan 06, 9:43 PM
    • 15th Jan 06, 9:43 PM
    Thanks for the advice, we'll give it a try. Annoyingly our machine doesn't have a rinse cycle!

Stompa
  • Joto
    • 15th Jan 06, 10:28 PM
    • 15th Jan 06, 10:28 PM
    I was told years ago to put shruken woollens in a bowl with a good dose of hair conditioner to slacken the fibres. This may work if they are not badly matted, could be worth a try. I've also been advise not to leave them soaking for long, which can cause the fibres to swell and matt together. Unfortunately both these tips contradict each other, although I presume if the jumper has already shrunk you have got nothing to loose by leaving it in a bowl absorbing the conditioner.
    Look after the pennies and the s will look after themselves
    • Lady_K
    • By Lady_K 15th Jan 06, 10:35 PM
    • 4,403 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    Lady_K
    • 15th Jan 06, 10:35 PM
    • 15th Jan 06, 10:35 PM
    Stompa

How come your machine doesnt have a rinse cycle? I just put the stuff in I want to rinse and turn the dial round to where the rinse part of a wash cycle starts and then start the machine can't you do that on your machine? I've been doing it for years and its been ok for me
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • Sarahsaver
    • 16th Jan 06, 9:43 AM
    • 16th Jan 06, 9:43 AM
    I do mine on the wool programme in the washing machine and have no probs. The best results i have are with home made detergent - laundry 'gloop' Wool once shrunk will not re-stretch. The wool fibres are covered with a scale like structure and these become interlocked causing the garment to shrink.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 16th Jan 06, 10:03 PM
    • 2,841 Posts
    • 33,036 Thanks
    maryb
    • 16th Jan 06, 10:03 PM
    • 16th Jan 06, 10:03 PM
    I did see something once about relaxing wool fibres which i think involved soaking the jumper with a bit of borax in the water. I haven't tried it myself though. If it's really shrunk you've got nothing to lose
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 16th Jan 06, 10:22 PM
    • 7,398 Posts
    • 3,534 Thanks
    Stompa
    How come your machine doesnt have a rinse cycle? I just put the stuff in I want to rinse and turn the dial round to where the rinse part of a wash cycle starts and then start the machine can't you do that on your machine?

Hmmm, you know I'm not sure. I would have expected it to be just another one of the pre-configured program settings. It doesn't mention anything in the manual about moving that dial once the machine has been started, so I've never given it a try!

Stompa
  • betyouaint
    After doing the same thing to my favourite woolen sweater the other day I scoured the internet for a solution. I found a lot of negative comments suggesting that "unshrinking" was a mission impossible and i was about to send it to the charity shop. However, after more searching I also found a few promising miracle cures. The one I used invloved soaking the garment in a solution of luke warm water and fuller's earth for 10-15 minutes, rinsing in more luke warm water and then gently stretching the garment out frequently whilst drying. Amongst it many other uses, fuller's earth was traditionally used in wool production for removing animal oils and the article i read also suggested it was a wool relaxant. Whetehr this is true or not it certainly did the job and my XXL sweater (which had been reduced to a M sweater) is now pretty much back to its old self. NEVER let anyone convince you that it can't be done.
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 11th May 08, 3:14 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,943 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    i do mine on a 30 degree wool cycle - and dry flat, its the only thing i use fabric conditioner in- i have never had a problem. a friend was horrified the other week when i told her i wash my cashmere jumper in the machine.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 11th May 08, 5:35 PM
    • 35,759 Posts
    • 460,997 Thanks
    pigpen
    I buy 2 sizes too big.. because they ALL shrink a little bit anyway.. and I sling them in on a wool cycle.. never had a problem!

My 2 oldest boys have 100% wool jumoers for school and I have never *touch wood* shrinkled one of those!
  • mute_posting
    One of the style tips on Queer Eye I caught the closing credits for earlier mentioned soaking them in warm water with an egg-cup full of hair conditioner then re-shaping and laying flat to dry.

Worth a try...
    :confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.
  • Sarahsaver
    I just got a book recently called 'spotless' and it did carry the fullers' Earth tip, never heard it before but yep worth a try!
    One of my OH's jumpers shrunk but my DD quite likes it and wants it for herself
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 11th May 08, 9:58 PM
    • 13,031 Posts
    • 114,296 Thanks
    lil_me
    Buy them too big. Wool cycle or hand wash and I usually hang those I expect to shrink

I have successfully stretched a bit back into a sweater using the weights you get for using when knitting on a machine that my Mam had, washed them and hung them wet with the weights on. Figured once it was shrank I may aswell try.
    Last edited by lil_me; 11-05-2008 at 10:01 PM.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    • moneysavinglaura
    • By moneysavinglaura 17th May 09, 12:04 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    moneysavinglaura
    Shrunk clothes
    Hi,
    I've managed to shrink a woolly jumper in the wash. Does anyone have any advice on how I can stretch it again?
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 17th May 09, 1:17 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 2,500 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    This old threat might help http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=136731
    • susank
    • By susank 17th May 09, 3:08 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    susank
    I put my woolens in the tumble drier for about 5 minutes as it takes the jumper back into shape - cashmere, alpaca, lambswook - nothing will shrink in 5 minutes in a drier. Then I dry them on the airer
    Saving in my terramundi pot 2, 1 and 50p just for me!
    • Topher
    • By Topher 17th May 09, 5:13 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 2,435 Thanks
    Topher
    The one I used invloved soaking the garment in a solution of luke warm water and fuller's earth for 10-15 minutes, rinsing in more luke warm water and then gently stretching the garment out frequently whilst drying. Amongst it many other uses, fuller's earth was traditionally used in wool production for removing animal oils and the article i read also suggested it was a wool relaxant. .
    Originally posted by betyouaint
    Where can you buy fullers earth please?
    T
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,438Posts Today

7,637Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Is Santander 123 going to drop to 2% interest - and would it be worth it if it does. My blog & analysis... https://t.co/0vDEXKshUq

• Papers saying my co-pres @IamSairaKhan is in #cbb. I've texted. No reply, so presume she must be locked away. I better watch the launch now!

• If Santander 123 drops its interest to 2% - will it still be worth it? Here's my analysis... https://t.co/0vDEXKshUq

• Follow Martin