DON'T use Calgon!

I thought I'd post this, as they are running a big TV advertising campaign in London atm and OH gets annoyed every time they show it.

The advert shows a washing machine with its heating element totally furred up and destroyed by water deposits.

According to OH, who was trained by one of the biggest washing machine firms and knows all about the guts, all washing powders contain water softeners. Furring up of elements like this, and of other parts of the machine, is caused by not using enough washing powder.

It's very important to use the amount of w/powder specified (which I never used to do) to keep your machine running sweetly. If you do this you do NOT need additives such as Calgon. And it's a lot cheaper to be 'lavish' with your powder than to pay for repairs or even to pay for Calgon :p
I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.

Comments

• mattt44
    mattt44 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Interesting, that goes against the ideas being put about on the Old Time threads about using less powder.
    Using vinegar is supposed to cut down on scale build up. But if thats a bit with every wash, or one load every few weeks, I'm not sure.
    Also some people use soda crystals with their powder as well, I wonder how that affects it?

Whats the water softeners in powders, I'm guessing salt of some kind and do the cheap powders have as much in them as the more expensive ones?
    Mmmm
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I think the cheapest overall is to install a water softener - you definitely don't need any Calgon (or dishwasher salt) if you have one of those, and you can easily half the amount of 'recommended' washing powder (and soap, washing up liquid, shower gel etc). Plus it keeps your appliances, pipework and radiators from furring up, and there won't be any nasty limescale on taps etc.

The upfront investment is several hundred pounds, the running costs are minor (water softener salt is cheap, and no maintenance should be required) but it definitely pays back. The local water companies can usually advise on the best softeners and installers (if you are good at DIY plumbing, you can also install it yourself).

A water softener is also significantly more environmentally friendly than washing powder and calgon.
  • I would back the water softener approach. Stuggled for decades without one but now I wouldn't be without it. No limescale, no gunge and soap and detergent use less than half before. I have to say we do have very hard water though.
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I dont think I can have a water softener can I with a combination boiler? Is this the same thing as a water filter?
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • cuffie
    cuffie Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    My lovely washing machine repairman said the same....Never use Calgon, and use 1kg of Soda Crystals every 6 months on hottest wash setting to keep it sweet!!
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429
    Forumite
    I think I'll try that with the soda crystals. Do you think it should be on half fill or full fill? I think I'll put it on at night when my economy 7 starts aswell if its for hottest setting to save a bit with the heating up
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • cuffie
    cuffie Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Pass....I just bung it in and turn dial to setting B (which is 95 degree wash) and leave it to work its magic!!
  • Lady_K wrote:
    I dont think I can have a water softener can I with a combination boiler? Is this the same thing as a water filter?

A water softener is nothing to do with the heating system. Its fitted into the incoming cold water main. It is not the same thing as a water filter. It treats the water to remove the calcium and magnesium salts (fur) in hard water. You should leave a hard water connection to the kitchen sink for drinking purposes and I also did this for the connection for to the heating system in case it needs refilling at some time. Water softeners are not cheap but if you live in a hard water area they are a wonderful release from the chores of limescale and fur.
  • Rhino666
    Rhino666 Posts: 557
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good post !!

Calgon has to be a complete ripoff.
    How many washing machines expire because of limescale buildup ?
    From my experience it's the drum bearings and motors that kill washing machines.

Calgon adverts are even more annoying than those patronising ones from the AA and Kwikfit. All three are very good at thoroughly misrepresenting the value of their products and services.
    Calgon - don't bother
    AA - found my insurance for a third less elsewhere. Their servicing is apparently poor value too and they quote one price and end up charging another much higher one.
    Kwikfit - got my MX-5 catalytic converter for less than half their quote. Same with VW Golf exhaust - even genuine VW parts were far cheaper.

I guess the moral is to avoid products backed up by adverts that are patronising.
    PLEASE DO NOT STEAL
    The Government will not tolerate competition

Always judge a man by the way he treats someone who is of no use to him
  • RedOnRed
    RedOnRed Posts: 1,190
    Forumite
    Furring up of elements like this, and of other parts of the machine, is caused by not using enough washing powder

I don't see how furring up of the element can be caused by lack of washing powder as there isn't any washing powder around the element is there?

The element just heats up the water doesn't it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure