Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > What benefits am i entitled to if living with par... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
What benefits am i entitled to if living with parents?
Closed Thread
Views: 10,459
# 1
happytails
Old 19-12-2008, 2:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default What benefits am i entitled to if living with parents?

Me and OH are due our little girl in Feb and currently live together but in Jan we are moving into our respective parents houses in order to cut our outgoings and save for a mortgage.

Our joint income is less than 25k
My mum and dads household income is more than 35k
and my income alone is about 4k

Which do they use to work our benefits if i am living with mum and dad even though me and OH are still a couple?

I am due to get Child benefit and £27 a week maternity allowance. Do i qualify for anything else?

Help appreciated.
Sarah x
Sarah, Mummy to Amber (5), Lucas (3.5) and Evelyn (19m).
Member No43 - % Challenge
Member No73 - £365 in 365 days Challenge
Member No32 - Crazy Clothes Challenge £347.41/£500
GC JAN £358.31/£400 GC FEB £341.55/£400 MAR £557.70/£400 APR £141.91/£300
# 2
LizzieS
Old 19-12-2008, 3:16 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You can claim child tax credits once the baby is born. Your claim would be as a single person as you do not live with your partner, and your parents don't count as you are not part of 'a couple' with them.

You may also qualify for Income support.
The Following User Says Thank You to LizzieS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
bestpud
Old 19-12-2008, 3:47 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieS View Post
You can claim child tax credits once the baby is born. Your claim would be as a single person as you do not live with your partner, and your parents don't count as you are not part of 'a couple' with them.

They are not single though and still very much connected financially - they are saving (jointly) for a house!!

Are you suggesting the tax payer should keep mum and children while dad saves their money??

Jeez, I've heard it all now!!

I hope that is fraud!!
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to bestpud For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
dmg24
Old 19-12-2008, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestpud View Post
They are not single though and still very much connected financially - they are saving (jointly) for a house!!

Are you suggesting the tax payer should keep mum and children while dad saves their money??

I hope that is fraud!!
Don't lose all hope! I have definitely heard of couples still being classed as a couple for benefits purposes even though they are living apart. I think the OP needs to clarify their position with the DWP/ HMRC.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Zara33
Old 19-12-2008, 4:10 PM

Quote:

Well she may aswell go the full way and claim child support since you are suggesting she is a single parent. :rolleyes:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zara33 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
LizzieS
Old 19-12-2008, 4:25 PM

Quote:

I hope that is fraud!!
Apologies, yes they would have to claim as a couple.

PS. My post was not based on personal opinion at all, otherwise it would have said something very different
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LizzieS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
woodbine
Old 19-12-2008, 9:45 PM

Quote:

I hope that is fraud!!
You took the words right out of my mouth,if it looks like fraud,smells like fraud and taste like fraud then it usually is......fraud
~~~JOHN~~~

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woodbine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
mouseymousey99
Old 19-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Forgive me for asking the obvious - as you are struggling now, how the heck are you going to cope with a child & mortgage? Wouldn't you do better to live as a family and rent? House ownership not being what it was and all that......
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mouseymousey99 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
LizzieS
Old 20-12-2008, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseymousey99 View Post
Forgive me for asking the obvious - as you are struggling now, how the heck are you going to cope with a child & mortgage? Wouldn't you do better to live as a family and rent? House ownership not being what it was and all that......
I cannot speak for OP, but I can see renting was a testing of the relationship, followed by the pregnancy being unplanned and the purchase being a future investment for the child. Well it's the only conclusion really that makes sense!

Rent and bills are not cheap, parents are a good way of saving a deposit as they tend to allow cheap boardings.

The real importance here is for the couple and child to be together, so as much as I admire their determination to buy, I would have prefered both sets of parents to have all 3 for say 6 months at a time to avoid strains on the relationship.
The Following User Says Thank You to LizzieS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
bestpud
Old 20-12-2008, 8:36 AM

As I see it, they want to have their cake and eat it.

If they really are worried about the future job market and her partner being out of work, or earning less, then they will be in a far better position by renting.

As long as they get a house that is suitable for their needs, then LHA will pick up the tab of any job losses and they can still, of course, claim tax credits if their income lowers - they only need one of them to be working 16 hours or more.

The family stay together, they aren't risking prosecution for fraud, and the tax payer is hit less.

If they go ahead with it then I hope someone reports them quick smart!

We'd all like our own home but for some of us it is not possible at this time. Well tough! That's the way the cookie crumbles. It is not the tax payers responsibility to fund their dreams!

I'm beginning to despair with the attitude of some families - since when was it all about money??
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bestpud For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
bestpud
Old 20-12-2008, 8:43 AM

Quote:
I cannot speak for OP, but I can see renting was a testing of the relationship, followed by the pregnancy being unplanned and the purchase being a future investment for the child. Well it's the only conclusion really that makes sense!

Rent and bills are not cheap, parents are a good way of saving a deposit as they tend to allow cheap boardings.

The real importance here is for the couple and child to be together, so as much as I admire their determination to buy, I would have prefered both sets of parents to have all 3 for say 6 months at a time to avoid strains on the relationship.
Call me old fashioned, but I'd have thought a stable family environment was the best future investment for their child. Seems to me they have their priorities all wrong.

I know parents can be a good option for saving BUT that is usually BEFORE they go on to start a relationship and get pregnant!

They don't want to stay with one set of parents though, do they, as they will lose out on the single parent benefits they are hoping to claim!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bestpud For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
cw18
Old 20-12-2008, 9:06 AM

Quote:
They don't want to stay with one set of parents though, do they, as they will lose out on the single parent benefits they are hoping to claim!
The OP has never suggested they're doing this just to enable them to claim more benefits.

It's quite possible that neither set of parents has space for an entire family unit to move in...... I know that we struggled when my DD moved in with a little one, and that was just the two of them. An extra 'body' would have stretched the house beyond breaking point.

I agree with the comments about it being better (especially for the baby) for them to stay as a family unit if possible -- but if their finances are already stretched to the maximum and the OP will be losing a salary (even if getting Maternity Benefits at the same time), then surely the stress caused by this could cause problems anyway. And I also believe it's not good for a child to live in a home where there's constant tension and bickering.

So it could be a case of "the lesser of two evils".
Cheryl as of 10th September :
Frugal Living '14 (£6080.72/£12k); GC (£1556.85/£3195); NSDs (136/150)
GC spent / Budget : Sep £40.34 / £281.32. to 31st Aug '14 £1516.51 / £2051.53, balance +£535.02
Whoopsies spent / value : Sep £0.00 / £0.00. to 31st Auf '14 £49.57 / £120.20
NSDs achieved / target : Sep 5 / 10.
to 31st Aug '14 131 / 115
# 13
bestpud
Old 20-12-2008, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw18 View Post
The OP has never suggested they're doing this just to enable them to claim more benefits.

It's quite possible that neither set of parents has space for an entire family unit to move in...... I know that we struggled when my DD moved in with a little one, and that was just the two of them. An extra 'body' would have stretched the house beyond breaking point.

I agree with the comments about it being better (especially for the baby) for them to stay as a family unit if possible -- but if their finances are already stretched to the maximum and the OP will be losing a salary (even if getting Maternity Benefits at the same time), then surely the stress caused by this could cause problems anyway. And I also believe it's not good for a child to live in a home where there's constant tension and bickering.

So it could be a case of "the lesser of two evils".
Her income is only £4k though so they still ahve a joint household income of £20k!

They will get tax credits on that income and if her OH does lose his job then they will get HB.

They are not moving apart because they can't survive financially. They are doing it to enable them to save and buy a house!

There is hell of a lot of families surviving on a income of less than £20 and many with more tha one child!

Yes, they could probably not buy for a while but that is something lots of us have to deal with.

So, on balance, the OP has asked specifically what she can claim and thanked a post telling her she could claim as a single parent. She didn't, of course, argue they are still a couple! Plus she has stated very clearly that they sare doing this so they can save for a house.

Which part of that tells you they are not looking for the tax payer to fund their deposit? Or, which part tells you they are going to remain connected financially and not claim seperately?
# 14
cw18
Old 20-12-2008, 1:36 PM

They could still be struggling on the income with the loss of her salary -- we have no way of knowing (nor am I asking) what debts they may have. Yes, she says they want to save a deposit -- but they may have debts they need to clear first, and moving back in with their respective parents may enable them to do this and then save.

Nor do we know what they pay in terms of rent and such..... if they live in an expensive area of the country (no location given), then they may be paying quite a high rent. (And yes, I'm sure there are families in whatever area coping with the same rent, the same or lower income and more children)

I'm not saying that she should claim as a single parent -- nor am I saying it would be morally OK for her to do. But the fact she's noted her OHs income as well as her parents suggests to me she's not sure which will be linked together in working out any sort of claim.

In an ideal world I agree that Tax Credits should link hers and her OHs even though they're not living together, but they'll certainly not include her parents.

And as for your comment about the post she's thanked -- it's possible she's not been back on line since, as she's not thanked any apart from that one (which was the first reply!), not has she posted any replies.
Cheryl as of 10th September :
Frugal Living '14 (£6080.72/£12k); GC (£1556.85/£3195); NSDs (136/150)
GC spent / Budget : Sep £40.34 / £281.32. to 31st Aug '14 £1516.51 / £2051.53, balance +£535.02
Whoopsies spent / value : Sep £0.00 / £0.00. to 31st Auf '14 £49.57 / £120.20
NSDs achieved / target : Sep 5 / 10.
to 31st Aug '14 131 / 115
# 15
bestpud
Old 20-12-2008, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw18 View Post
They could still be struggling on the income with the loss of her salary -- we have no way of knowing (nor am I asking) what debts they may have. Yes, she says they want to save a deposit -- but they may have debts they need to clear first, and moving back in with their respective parents may enable them to do this and then save.

Nor do we know what they pay in terms of rent and such..... if they live in an expensive area of the country (no location given), then they may be paying quite a high rent. (And yes, I'm sure there are families in whatever area coping with the same rent, the same or lower income and more children)

I'm not saying that she should claim as a single parent -- nor am I saying it would be morally OK for her to do. But the fact she's noted her OHs income as well as her parents suggests to me she's not sure which will be linked together in working out any sort of claim.

In an ideal world I agree that Tax Credits should link hers and her OHs even though they're not living together, but they'll certainly not include her parents.

And as for your comment about the post she's thanked -- it's possible she's not been back on line since, as she's not thanked any apart from that one (which was the first reply!), not has she posted any replies.
No, but she was online when she thanked that particular post and didn't see fit to argue she is not single. That was my point!

If she is in an expensive area then LHA will be higher to compensate.

Lots struggle, and have debts, but they don't feel the need to take this sort of action.

Also, in an expensive area, the house prices will be higher which means more money from the tax payer while they save to buy one and a higher risk involved with buying!

I hope they link them in out less than ideal world tbh! Why shouldn't they?

It doesn't matter what their circumstances are, they have been living together, and he earns the bulk of the money. They WILL NOT be that much worse off by the time she includes maternity pay, tax credits, child benefit etc. She earns £4k for goodness sake - it's not going to make that big a difference! It is not the tax payers responsibility to fund their desires.

If they were that desperate to buy you have to wonder why they haven't before now, don't you? It seems living toegther was fine until she became pregnant and now they are going to sperate at the very time they should want to be together.

Houses will wait but you cannot reclaim lost years in a child's life!!

I really cannot get my head around it at all - it's just all wrong. For their relationship, the baby, their parents, the tax payer...

The priorities are seriously screwed up imho. :confused:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bestpud For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
happytails
Old 20-12-2008, 8:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
We arent doing this to get more benefits - there isnt the room at my parents nor his to allow all of us to live there. I just wanted to know if (because of mum and dads wage) whether what we would get normally would be affected as i know some benefit calculations are based on household income which isnt fair.

I dont want to commit Fraud thank you very much to everyone that thinks i do, i just want things to be right and that me and OH get the benefits we are entitled to as a couple/family.

And to clarify, we started renting 2yrs ago and planned to save up for a house but we then found we were expecting, then i got made redundant and now OH is likely to face redundancy. We are moving to ensure we have a roof over our heads and food in our mouths incase he looses his job. We can also start a mega savings plan whilst in this position(as we have no savings at all) to save for a deposit on a house clear our debts and OH can look for another job which is secure.

Sarah
Sarah, Mummy to Amber (5), Lucas (3.5) and Evelyn (19m).
Member No43 - % Challenge
Member No73 - £365 in 365 days Challenge
Member No32 - Crazy Clothes Challenge £347.41/£500
GC JAN £358.31/£400 GC FEB £341.55/£400 MAR £557.70/£400 APR £141.91/£300
# 17
mouseymousey99
Old 20-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

some benefit calculations are based on household income which isnt fair.

Err yes I think it is!!!! The fact that you have no savings is really no one else's fault is it??
Anyway no doubt you will be back to bite my head off but best wishes with the baby .....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mouseymousey99 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Conor
Old 21-12-2008, 12:57 AM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytails View Post
And to clarify, we started renting 2yrs ago and planned to save up for a house but we then found we were expecting, then i got made redundant and now OH is likely to face redundancy. We are moving to ensure we have a roof over our heads and food in our mouths incase he looses his job. We can also start a mega savings plan whilst in this position(as we have no savings at all) to save for a deposit on a house clear our debts and OH can look for another job which is secure.

Sarah
You selfish cow. I like the way you say "we found out we were expecting" but then are quite happy to shove the father out of the picture just to save a few quid for something that is most likely never to happen.

You do know how !!!!ed up your kid is going to end up being don't you, basically being brought up in a one parent family with dad coming to visit on weekends - you know, LIKE DIVORCED PEOPLE DO? How long do you think your relationship with your OH is going to last when he has to go home at night, knowing that the only reason he can't spend more time with his daughter is because of money grubbing? He's really going to be chuffed being a part time dad for 3 or 4 years or more, missing those wonderful "firsts" isn't he? And you can never get that back, ever.

YOU WOULD STILL HAVE A ROOF OVER YOUR HEADS IF HE LOST HIS JOB BECAUSE YOU CAN GET HOUSING BENEFIT. YOU ARE MORE LIKELY TO LOSE A HOUSE YOU'VE BOUGHT WHEN MADE REDUNDANT BECAUSE NOBODY PAYS YOUR MORTGAGE.

But why should you give a !!!!? You'll have the baby so you'll be alright and !!!! your OH - he'll just have to put up with it. Personally, I'd tell you to !!!! off.

Last edited by Conor; 21-12-2008 at 1:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Conor For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
dmg24
Old 21-12-2008, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
You selfish cow. I like the way you say "we found out we were expecting" but then are quite happy to shove the father out of the picture just to save a few quid for something that is most likely never to happen.

You do know how !!!!ed up your kid is going to end up being don't you, basically being brought up in a one parent family with dad coming to visit on weekends - you know, LIKE DIVORCED PEOPLE DO? How long do you think your relationship with your OH is going to last when he has to go home at night, knowing that the only reason he can't spend more time with his daughter is because of money grubbing? He's really going to be chuffed being a part time dad for 3 or 4 years or more, missing those wonderful "firsts" isn't he? And you can never get that back, ever.

YOU WOULD STILL HAVE A ROOF OVER YOUR HEADS IF HE LOST HIS JOB BECAUSE YOU CAN GET HOUSING BENEFIT. YOU ARE MORE LIKELY TO LOSE A HOUSE YOU'VE BOUGHT WHEN MADE REDUNDANT BECAUSE NOBODY PAYS YOUR MORTGAGE.

But why should you give a !!!!? You'll have the baby so you'll be alright and !!!! your OH - he'll just have to put up with it. Personally, I'd tell you to !!!! off.
Looks like someone needs to cut down on the booze! :rolleyes:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
maman
Old 21-12-2008, 1:16 AM

I'm not normally moved to respond to these 'political' posts (I usually keep well out of them) but to me the words of original thread posted 'What benefits am I entitled to...' say it all. Why should anyone feel they have the right to claim benefits as a form of saving. It's taxpayers money, designed as a safety net for people in great need. The benefit system is not here for people to manipulate to their own ends. OP has a reasonable income and has decided to have a child. If they decide to move in with parents to save money, that's their choice. But to expect benefits to add to their savings????
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to maman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread