Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking > Parking Ticket Appeals article discussion (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Parking Ticket Appeals article discussion
Closed Thread
Views: 194,964
Old 18-12-2008, 3:53 PM   #1
MSE Wendy
Campaigns Manager
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This thread is for discussing the
Parking Ticket Appeals guide.

To discuss/ask a question click post reply.

If you want particular help on your own case you can start a new discussion on the Parking Fines and Tickets board, although there is no guarantee someone will be able to help.

Alternatively go to the
Report Parking Ticket Appeal Successes thread to let everyone know if you've won a case

Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 5:19 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MSE Wendy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
gunnersno1fan
Old 20-12-2008, 1:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default bus lane fine query

hello can any one help with this one
have had 3 fines from Newham council for driving in the bus lane. each fine has a picture of my car with its tyre on the white line no other part of the car is in the bus lane! i have appealled but they have written back to say that if the tyre is on the white line it is contravening the law.
the picture shows no obstruction to a bus, my route takes me away from the bus lane so ther is no intention to use the bus lane. the roads are also clear of traffic so there is no reason for using a bus lane. if they viwed the whole journey of my car on this stretch of road thereis no way i would be seen in the bus lane, but for the fleeting moment the tyre is on the white line.
it is a common sense judgement i'm looking for can i get that from the council or am i looking to pay 180 over the christmas period?
help is desperately wanted. thanks
# 3
Neil B
Old 21-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You can quite possibly start smiling!

Firstly though, you need to start your own thread.

I can tell you exactly where this was ! Newham have been doing it for years with some occasional press coverage but some more recent reluctance of press to publicise it.

Barking Road, Eastbound, near junction with Burgess Road as you approach the roundabout with A406 North Circular - if I could afford it I'd put money on it!

Point is, just last week Newham were slammed by the Adjudication service for this ridiculous behaviour. I have the entire file of case details from start to finish.

Confirm location and I'll tell you what you need to do.

(Crabman - please separate if possible?)

Last edited by Neil B; 22-12-2008 at 5:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Neil B For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Neil B
Old 22-12-2008, 5:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Surprised at no response?

If i am right about the location - and just from your description anyway - you have a good chance of saving your money!
# 5
Jazzi
Old 23-12-2008, 12:51 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi. Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread but I have received a PCN for being in a bus lane on Barking Road (the exact location mentioned by Neil B).

From the image Newham sent me, my car does not appear to be in the bus lane. However, it may be possible that the back wheel is on the white line but it is very difficult to make out whether it is. In the image, traffic lights are blocking the entire view of my car so I cannot be certain whether the back wheel is resting on the white line. The front passenger wheel is obscured by the traffic lights but looking at the angle of my car to the angle of the white line, I would say it is not.

The notice is dated 16.12.08 and I received it on 18.12.08 and am in the process of drafting formal representations.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
# 6
Neil B
Old 23-12-2008, 2:38 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzi View Post
Hi. Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread but I have received a PCN for being in a bus lane on Barking Road (the exact location mentioned by Neil B).

From the image Newham sent me, my car does not appear to be in the bus lane. However, it may be possible that the back wheel is on the white line but it is very difficult to make out whether it is. In the image, traffic lights are blocking the entire view of my car so I cannot be certain whether the back wheel is resting on the white line. The front passenger wheel is obscured by the traffic lights but looking at the angle of my car to the angle of the white line, I would say it is not.

The notice is dated 16.12.08 and I received it on 18.12.08 and am in the process of drafting formal representations.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
1/. Start your own thread or ask the board guide 'crabman' to separtae this. It is always important when people are working to dated deadlines so that they do not become confused - people then get info too late.

2/. I recommend you don't send any reps yet. Wait until i give you the details of the recent Adjudication. This should hopefully persuade Newham to back down quickly rather than you having to wait for your own tribunal hearing.
# 7
Jazzi
Old 23-12-2008, 11:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Ok thanks. I'll start a new thread.
# 8
Micro
Old 24-12-2008, 12:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi, 2 friends of mine had been using a car park all day but as they were in and out all day purchased a new ticket each time they went in. On one of the occasions they went over the stated time. A camera picked it up and a ticket was given. The picture does not show who the driver as on that occasion. What should they do ?
I owe many thanks to free-easy-money.com !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Micro For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
bargepole
Old 24-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro View Post
. What should they do ?
What you should do is read the stickies and start a separate thread for this. This thread is only for discussing Martin's article.
Speeding cases fought: 24 (3 of mine, 21 for others). Cases won: 20. Points on licence: 0. Private Parking Court Cases: Won 7. Lost 2 (1 subject to appeal). Adjourned 1.
# 10
Micro
Old 24-12-2008, 12:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargepole View Post
What you should do is read the stickies and start a separate thread for this. This thread is only for discussing Martin's article.
Ooops sorry
I owe many thanks to free-easy-money.com !
# 11
gunnersno1fan
Old 03-01-2009, 10:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default so sorry thanks for this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil B View Post

If i am right about the location - and just from your description anyway - you have a good chance of saving your money!
you are absolutely right it is the exact same location, sorry i did not get back this earlier but am new to this website and was frustrated not being able to find my post and replies. it will be brilliant if you can help. I am not surprised there is someone else has the same case, I see numbers of cars with their tyres on the white line.
i will check again tomorrow and see if you have picked this up
thanks a million
# 12
gunnersno1fan
Old 03-01-2009, 10:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default trying to start a new thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil B View Post

sorry don't understand how to start a new thread!?
# 13
bargepole
Old 04-01-2009, 12:53 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnersno1fan View Post
sorry don't understand how to start a new thread!?
You click the button at the top of the main page for this sub-forum which says "New Thread". Should be simple enough, even for an Arsenal supporter.
Speeding cases fought: 24 (3 of mine, 21 for others). Cases won: 20. Points on licence: 0. Private Parking Court Cases: Won 7. Lost 2 (1 subject to appeal). Adjourned 1.
The Following User Says Thank You to bargepole For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
feesh
Old 05-01-2009, 3:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just got a ticket - I am ill with flu, so have not been able to move my car (there is a 1 hour restriction outside our house during the working week daytime).

My car is thick heavy in snow though - I thought they didn't issue tickets when cars were covered up? They have still managed to wedge the ticket in under the wiper though.

Does anyone know what the legal stance is when issuing a ticket to a car covered in snow?
# 15
Crabman
Old 05-01-2009, 3:54 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hi feesh, it'd be best if you could scan and post the PCN (blank out personal details, car reg, serial number) in a new thread on this board.

As some PCNs don't conform, you may be able to appeal on that basis. I'm not sure about the snow, Neil B will no doubt be along soon as he's an expert in this area.
I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

# 16
chemeng
Old 14-01-2009, 8:00 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unhappy Penalty Charge Notice

Hello

Can someone please help me? I received PCN in Oct last year. Having received this I wrote to TFL advising them that I was not parked where prohibited on a red route as stated on the actual PCN. In fact I had parked within the permitted times in a loading bay which clearly stated that one could park for 20 mins for this purpose.
I received a response back advisng me that the officer who had issued the PCN hadnot noticed any activity for 5 mins and that according to TFL guidelines this observation needed to be made,

Can someone please tell me where this observation is published as my continually asking TFL for this has not generated an answer. I am determined to pursue this matter as I have seen several people just pay up because they do not have the time to get into lengthy correspondence with TFL.

I shall be very grateful for any advice any one may have to offer. I simply do not wish to be bullied by TFL into paying for a PCN, in my opinion which has raised several questions re it's authenticuty and transparency of regulations. Every letter I have received from them so far has not failed to inform me the consequences of not paying up and basically shutting up.

Thank you in advance.
# 17
Neil B
Old 16-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Maybe start by reading the advice given to 'gunners', 'micro' and 'jazzi' immediately above you??
# 18
Miss Bibi
Old 01-02-2009, 9:21 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

hi guys can anyone help pls!
I got a pcn a while ago and appealed with this letter:

Dear sir/madam,
I am emailing with regards to a PCN which was issued to me on the 20/12/2008. The PCN No; *********. My vehicle registration no; ******.
The PCN states that i was 'parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours' however i drove in from deansgate and before parking i didn't see any parking time restrictions etc as there were no plate or post indicating what hours the Single Yellow Line actually restricted you to in the vicinity in which i was parked.
On studying the signs on the street i have now seen that there are plates indicating hours of restriction as you drive in from the other side and are not actually visible from where i entered or where i was parked.
I was actually parked there for less than 10 minutes as i went to drop some medication off for my friend who lives in an apartment on that street. She had been unwell and had asked me to go to the chemist for her.
If you could please look at the circumstances again and re-consider the decision i would appreciate it.

Kindest regards

I then got a reply a few days ago...

Dear ....

Your case comes under the Traffic Management Act 2004 and The
Civil Enforcement of Parking Contraventions (England) Representations and Appeals Regulations 2007

Penalty Charge Notice (parking ticket) number: MC54545238
Date given: 20/12/2008
Place given: MIRABEL STREET
Vehicle registration:

Thank you for your email.

I have carefully considered your letter but on this occasion I have taken the decision not to cancel your parking ticket.

You were given a parking ticket for parking on a single yellow line at a time when you were not allowed to park there. MIRABEL STREETis in a Controlled Parking Zone.

As you enter Manchester City Centre, you will pass a Controlled Zone sign. These signs explain that the rules for single yellow lines apply 8.00am-6.00pm, Monday-Saturday. The streets inside the zone do not have to have signs giving this information (except where other restrictions apply). The way we sign our zones complies with the law.

You have these choices:
1The penalty charge will be reduced by a discount of 50% to 35.00 if it is paid no later than the last day of the period of 14 days beginning with the date on which this letter is served.
2You can pay 70.00 after the last day of the period of 14 days beginning with the date on which this letter is served.
3If the penalty charge is not paid on or before the end of the 28 day period beginning with the date on which this letter is served or successfully challenged, the Council may serve a Notice to Owner (NtO) on the owner of the vehicle requiring payment of the penalty charge. The owner can then make representations to the Council and may appeal to an independent adjudicator if those representations are rejected. The NtO will contain instructions for doing this.

How to pay
The back of this letter explains how to pay.

Yours sincerely

Gordon Barr
Customer Services

Street Management and Parking
Neighbourhood Services

They also included pictures of my car parked on the single yellow line from three different directions....
Not sure what to do....was going to pay it but thought better of it...if i don't have to then pls tell me someone!!
thank u
The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Bibi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
par
Old 05-02-2009, 2:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default penalty notice on windscreen

I received a letter from a council in January09 with photograph of my parking ticket inside the car dated Oct08 together with photo of their penalty notice on the windscreen and the time the photo was taken. On return to my car in Oct, their notice was not on the windscreen and as I thought I had returned within the time period - I didn't expect one to be there.
I still had the parking ticket, which I sent back to them on receipt of their letter - it appears I was in fact 7 minutes over the time limit according to time of their photo. However, there was no notice on the windscreen - so I didn't know they had left one. They want to charge 60 as I didn't reply within the allotted time. Does anyone know if I have to pay the full fine - or whether I could pay the 30 required if I had paid within the time limit?
# 20
Neil B
Old 05-02-2009, 4:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Edit-----------------------------

Last edited by Neil B; 05-02-2009 at 4:12 PM. Reason: talking tosh again, LOl!
Closed Thread